Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,057 times

Advertisements

Galloway as a Canadian I take offense at the way you find your father loses 40 grand a year by paying taxes. And out taxes do not go only for the homeless and the poor, or immigrants. Taxes benefit everybody in Canada. Taxes are what paves the roads for your father to travel to work and earn his taxable dollars. Our taxes go for everybody's healthcare, the upkeep of out schools, rec centres, communities, the list goes on and on.
If your father pays 40 grand in taxes he should be kneeling and thanking God for having such a great job that lets him earn that much money. The average person does not lose that amount in taxes because they don't earn that much. For some families $40,000 is a year's salary.
As for disliking Americans , not more than any other nationality if they make themselves intolerable. Canadians are a warm hearted people who welcome anyone to our country regardless of where they are from.
Don't make Canadians sound like bigots, we're a land of many cultures in Canada.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM

217 posts, read 346,291 times
What do you mean you take offense?? what are you talking about, i know for a fact that 40 grand is how much he loses.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
So if your father is so unhappy about "loosing" 40K in taxes, perhaps he should move out of Canada and go somwhere where he can keep more. Taxes are an unpleasant part of life. However, everyone in a society benefits from taxes..both rich and poor.

Canada isnt for everyone but complaining about taxes is common in all countries.

I am so happy and lucky to be moving up there to marry a wonderful Canadian.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
However, everyone in a society benefits from taxes..both rich and poor.
I think the rub is that not everyone benefits from these taxes proportionally.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think the rub is that not everyone benefits from these taxes proportionally.
One way or another we all benefit in ways we need it most. If someone needs something that we take for granted, ex. food and shelter, then our taxes help them. But if we're lucky enough to have food and shelter and we can afford the best food and the best housing we might not be so lucky when it comes to our health. We might need more help that others, this is where our taxes will benefit us. Life is a merry go round of different needs and different people, we should all be thankful that everyone can benefit in the way they need it most.
Anyone not wanting to pay taxes could offer their job to the unemployed and try living like them for a few weeks.....I think paying taxes would seem like a fair thing by then.
All of us would prefer to keep our money, in our society, sorry, it's not possible.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:47 PM

Yes its not possible in Canada but in the United States you pay less taxes.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 PM

207 posts, read 748,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
Yes its not possible in Canada but in the United States you pay less taxes.
I think you should move down to the US. You can get everything for less and pay less taxes. But do us a favour (and I wishes that this will never happen to you and anyone you love), Don't come back to Canada when you get sick so you can get free treatments on our tax dollar, because if you do that you will become the same people that you blame for our high taxes.

BTW: A lot of immigrants/new Canadians is this country contribute a lot more in taxes per year than your father.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan85 View Post
I think you should move down to the US. You can get everything for less and pay less taxes. But do us a favour (and I wishes that this will never happen to you and anyone you love), Don't come back to Canada when you get sick so you can get free treatments on our tax dollar, because if you do that you will become the same people that you blame for our high taxes.

BTW: A lot of immigrants/new Canadians is this country contribute a lot more in taxes per year than your father.
I think i should too...

and no they dont , they dont have money to contribute so they suck the money out of everyone else that actually has an income, the government seems to be fine with it too.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
I think i should too...

and no they dont , they dont have money to contribute so they suck the money out of everyone else that actually has an income, the government seems to be fine with it too.
I find the the new kind of immigrants who are coming to this country come here with lots of money. If fact the stereotype of a recent immigrant in Western Canada is of someone with lots of cash who likes to show off and who's business isn't really on the straight and narrow. Not saying I believe it, but that's the stereotype...

What I would love to know though is how that cash was earned back in the old country. I think a mandatory and transparent disclosure of that would do a lot to avoid people importing problems here.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM

204 posts, read 751,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassner View Post
1. Bring your thick skin. Anti-Americanism in Canada is very strong and always has been. You will never feel like you really belong because America and Americans are continually under attack from the media and most of the political spectrum. This isn't a Bush phenomenon. It is Canada. The first thing any American must understand about Canada is that their national identity consists entirely of not being American.
Just tell them that you're from New York. According to Urban Dictionary, New Yorkers are the only Americans that foreigners really like.

Urban Dictionary: new yorker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada