Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post

Actually, that is the price per Banana. Trader Joe's doesn't sell produce by the pound.
That is one advantage (for me anyways) the US has over Canada...Trader Joe's! I have an unfortunate addiction to many of their products.
Trader Joe's is really cool.
If there are Trader Joe's stores in Toronto, Metro, Sobey's, Loblaw's etc within miles probably would all go bankrupt.

I really hope it can enter Canadian market someday, like Target has. Macy's, Nordstrom etc too. I can't imagine how bad the service at the Bay's flagship store is

The Canadian retail market need a revamp by introducing fierce competition, like a real market economy has.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Look guys, most U.S. residents... (and I call them residents because their citizenship really doesn't confer any special rights to them; they can still be extrajudicially disappeared or killed with impunity by the corrupt U.S. fascist government at any time with no due process)... are brainwashed to think their country is the best in the world. They vehemently deny that their government has been bought and paid for by large business interests. Sadly when you are in denial, you will never break free from the status quo.
Good grief!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM

207 posts, read 926,148 times
Unfortunately most Americans are clueless on how bad the healthcare system really is relative to the rest of the developed world. Most of them really believe they have good coverage until they or a love one needs it over a prolong period of time.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
Produce is priced about the same in the U.S. and Canada. In fact, I find produce cheaper in Canada than in the U.S. south. Bananas are about 50 cents a pound in the U.S. at a deep discounter, like Aldi or Wal Mart. At a regular supermarket, about 70 cents a pound. Same as in Canada. Think about it - they come from the same places, and are shipped to Canada just like the U.S...

Meat and dairy cost more in Canada because they are Canadian meat and dairy. The labor costs more, they are forbidden to use hormones like rBST, and they have stricter regulation than the USDA. So of course it will cost more.

And, maclock, I am speaking from experience of 3 decades living in the U.S... a good chunk of Americans are flag-waving people who no nothing of the outside world yet think America is the best place on earth when really it is quite a dysfunctional place.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Produce is priced about the same in the U.S. and Canada. In fact, I find produce cheaper in Canada than in the U.S. south. Bananas are about 50 cents a pound in the U.S. at a deep discounter, like Aldi or Wal Mart. At a regular supermarket, about 70 cents a pound. Same as in Canada. Think about it - they come from the same places, and are shipped to Canada just like the U.S...
I used to find Canada cheaper for some things, but Canada seems to have become much more expensive for my weekly shop as of late.

Quote:
Meat and dairy cost more in Canada because they are Canadian meat and dairy. The labor costs more, they are forbidden to use hormones like rBST, and they have stricter regulation than the USDA. So of course it will cost more.
Supply management. Read up on it. It's the single biggest reason that Canadian dairy, chicken, and turkey cost over the odds.

Other types of meat can cost more or less depending on the buying habits of our trading partners. For instance, Canadians got some screaming deals on beef when BSE closed many of Canada's beef export markets.

Quote:
And, maclock, I am speaking from experience of 3 decades living in the U.S... a good chunk of Americans are flag-waving people who no nothing of the outside world yet think America is the best place on earth when really it is quite a dysfunctional place.
I'm not suggesting that the U.S. is a paradise, but it isn't nearly as dire a place as you make it out to be. And Canada also suffers from plenty of uninformed boosterism from flag-waving dolts who don't know any better.

Last edited by maclock; 06-14-2012 at 01:02 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 AM

Supply Management Systems

Future of Canada's supply management system unclear | CTV News

Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:

Groceries are probably similar. But groceries are a very small percentage of our regular spending.

What about other consumer products, electronics? home appliances? clothing? airfare? Housing? Why do you think it is 20-100% higher here? You can't honestly say it is expensive here because the stuff we import is superior.

I don't buy the "labour costs more" in Canada argument. Household income is lower in Canada, how can labour cost more? Please don't tell me it is because Canada has higher mimimum wages.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM

395 posts, read 859,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Groceries are probably similar. But groceries are a very small percentage of our regular spending.

What about other consumer products, electronics? home appliances? clothing? airfare? Housing? Why do you think it is 20-100% higher here? You can't honestly say it is expensive here because the stuff we import is superior.

I don't buy the "labour costs more" in Canada argument. Household income is lower in Canada, how can labour cost more? Please don't tell me it is because Canada has higher mimimum wages.
These prices differ across countries and cities. One can save a whole lot of money on clothing and electronics by simply changing there shopping habbits. The cost of housing is a far more important consideration in you standard of living. This varies dramatically within one country, and even in a short time period. The housing market bubble of the states, is enough of a distortion in this cost of living to nullify any real dicussion on this.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Just released is the "news" Canadians are paying more for cars that are built IN CANADA!

This stuff isn't news to anyone who'se travelled worldwide at all. On this continent we've got to accept that we've been treated to simple market economics of "whatever the market will tolerate" as the defining item of pricing in Canada.

We're charged more because we have consistantly proven we've been willing to pay more for eons.

Does this translate to stupidity, or simply apathy?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM

468 posts, read 786,135 times
I wonder if Canadian beer is cheaper in the U.S. than it is in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada