Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,708 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where else to turn. No one here has been able to help me. Someone at city hall here recommended this site, so here goes.

I am a by-birth Canadian citizen who traveled to the US seven years ago on a student visa. After graduation, my boyfriend and I got married. He is an American citizen and therefore my status changed, as I became a permanent resident of the US while maintaining my Canadian citizenship and passport. I've been a PR here for three years now.

I have left my physically and emotionally abusive husband and want to return to my family in Canada. I'm currently in a safe shelter in an undisclosed location, but the problem is, the staff here, as wonderful as they are, don't know how to help me get home. What, if anything, will I need to return to Canada legally? I will be surrendering my green card at the border, and have no plans to ever return to the US out of fear that he will find me. (None of the identifying information I provided here was true, for safety reasons.) I've kept my Canadian passport up to date and have my Certificate of Citizenship with me as well. I am returning to Canada inland and am bringing in nothing but the clothes I took with me from my old home.

Can anyone help me make the right plans to get home? I'll be safe there--he won't know how to find me.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM

384 posts, read 1,712,846 times
I am assuming that if you do have all of your documents there should be no problem. You should just be able to show up at the border and show them your documents and return back home. Unless you gave up your Canadian citizenship I can't see them turning you away as technically you are their responsibility. I understand that if you cannot find the means to get home your Canadian consulate should be able to provide assistance; however, if you find that they won't help, just hop on the bus ..ie, Greyhound and Trailways, which is probably your cheapest bet and take it across the boarder. Depending on where you're flying from, Southwest airlines if booked in time, has online tickets for as little as $69.00 into buffalo, from there you can take the Canada Coach or Greyhound into Canada. I don't really see why you should have a problem though being a Canadian born.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I am assuming that if you do have all of your documents there should be no problem. You should just be able to show up at the border and show them your documents and return back home. Unless you gave up your Canadian citizenship I can't see them turning you away as technically you are their responsibility. I understand that if you cannot find the means to get home your Canadian consulate should be able to provide assistance; however, if you find that they won't help, just hop on the bus ..ie, Greyhound and Trailways, which is probably your cheapest bet and take it across the boarder. Depending on where you're flying from, Southwest airlines if booked in time, has online tickets for as little as $69.00 into buffalo, from there you can take the Canada Coach or Greyhound into Canada. I don't really see why you should have a problem though being a Canadian born.
Thank you so much. I was so worried, because when I came to America, of course I had everything I needed and put everything in a safe place, but I left my home so quickly to escape that I wasn't sure if I might have forgotten something I needed--and returning is not an option. He'll kill me before he lets me leave again.

The Consulate has already made arrangements with the shelter to get me back, but we couldn't get another person on the phone to ask about my documentation. I am assuming that my status will show 'citizen' at the border, since I did not (and would never) give up my citizenship to my country.

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully, I can start my journey home tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Good Luck, but since you have your passport and birth certificate you shouldn't have any problems. I wish you well and I hope that you arrive home safely. Please come back online and let us know that all has gone well for you. Once again, good luck.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

You may also want to take an order of protection out against your husband in case he tries to cross the border and come into Canada. You may want to look into your legal rights to make sure that he comes no where near you when you arrive back home.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
You may also want to take an order of protection out against your husband in case he tries to cross the border and come into Canada. You may want to look into your legal rights to make sure that he comes no where near you when you arrive back home.
The staff here helped me take care of that, and the Consulate helped me get an order that will keep him 500 feet from me at all times, and it'll apply when I get home, if he ever happens to track me down. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll do my best to let you know how I'm doing when I make it home. Thanks for caring.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:52 PM

41 posts, read 128,589 times
Please take care of yourself. It is the right decision to use a shelter for a while to be sure of your safety. And yes, please let us know you are home and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada