Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM

311 posts, read 603,693 times

Advertisements

Canada is in general slightly less religious than the U.S.

~ 16% of Canadians are not member of any religion
~ 15% of Americans are not member of any religion

However Canada is still more religious than most of Europe.

Church attandance is lower in Canada than the U.S. (But this does not mean they are Atheists).
Quebec is very catholic but again church attandance is not that high except on holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM

311 posts, read 603,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Canada is less religious because it's less rural. They don't have a Bible Belt of straight up dummies like we do, if you excluded them from the US we'd probably be as religious a nation as the UK or Canada.
Not really. In general only western U.S., particularly pacific NW is least religious in the nation (That's mainly because of large Southeast Asian population). Small parts of New England region is slightly less religious too, but still member of a church.

Northeast, Midwest and the South are religious, with the south being the most.

America in general is MUCH more religious than Europeans.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM

468 posts, read 780,338 times
My guess is those Canadians who claim to be Christian are more likely to go to church only on these three occasions:

1. When they're "hatched" (baptized)
2. "Matched" (married)
3. and "dispatched" (buried)

Those are the words of a now-deceased priest I knew who was speaking of the 1980s-era church-going habits of the residents of Brooklyn, where he grew up.

Other Canadians are probably C&E (Christmas and Easter) Christians.
Quebec may be culturally Catholic, but I think it is anti-clerical, if not anti-Catholic, at the same time.

I don't think the evangelical Christianity associated with modern America, particularly the South, made inroads in Canada.
African Americans are more likely to attend church than white Americans. That is also a reason why church attendance in the South is higher than in other parts of the United States. Perhaps Afro-Canadians are more likely to attend church than white Canadians.

Are you not likely to find church services televised in Canada?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E80TP7vtcdQ

God bless,

CKB

Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM

26,759 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
My guess is those Canadians who claim to be Christian are more likely to go to church on these three occasions:

1. When they're "hatched" (baptized)
2. "Matched" (married)
3. and "dispatched" (buried)

Those are the words of a now-deceased priest I knew who was speaking of the 1980s-era church-going habits of the residents of Brooklyn, where he grew up.

I don't think the evangelical Christianity associated with modern America, particularly the South, made inroads in Canada.
African Americans are more likely to attend church than white Americans. That is also a reason why church attendance in the South is higher than in other parts of the United States. Perhaps Afro-Canadians are more likely to attend church than white Canadians.
In Canada the people most likely to go to church or any type of religious service are immigrants or Canadian-born descendants of fairly recent immigrants.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

The conservative, God-fearing evangelical guys we tend to see like Rick Santorum always seem to be white guys, though, and I presume that the congregations in the churches they attend are massively white as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada the people most likely to go to church or any type of religious service are immigrants or Canadian-born descendants of fairly recent immigrants.

I know Montreal has a lot of historic Catholic churches. However, I would guess a lot of them have closed over the last few decades due to declining attendance. And you are probably more likely to find immigrants or their children worshipping in the remaining ones than "native" Quebeckers.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Quebec may be culturally Catholic, but I think it is anti-clerical, if not anti-Catholic, at the same time.

The biggest problem people in Quebec have is with the church as an institution. Basic Christian values (as taught by Jesus Christ, not as adapted over the centuries) are generally looked upon very favourably.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The conservative, God-fearing evangelical guys we tend to see like Rick Santorum always seem to be white guys, though, and I presume that the congregations in the churches they attend are massively white as well.

For the record, my Church (Our Lady of Victories) may be the most integrated one in Cleveland. We have whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians (mostly Filipino) in attendance.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Are you not likely to find church services televised in Canada?
The French network of the CBC has televised a Sunday Catholic mass from somewhere in the country for as long as I can remember (more than 40 years, maybe 50 or 60):

Le jour du Seigneur | Radio-Canada.ca

It is a Catholic only show, and I am surprised they haven't changed it to open it up to other religions. The francophone population is still very predominantly Catholic, but it has diversified quite a bit in the recent past.

The English CBC used to have a show called Meeting Place that had services from various religions, but it is no longer on the air.

Of course you also have multiple channels that broadcast services for Hindus, Sikhs, Russian Orthodox, you name it, plus the televangelists (Hour of Power, Benny Hinn) from both here and the States.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,630,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats an atheist?
I guess it means you don't believe in any type of highly powerful supernatural God (Jesus, Allah, Buhhda whatever), don't believe what you do is subject to any kind of book/script except the secular laws of the country you live in.

When some dies, his spirit dies completely with his body. Nothing remains. He just ceases to exist in any space. There is no next life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada