Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 AM

254 posts, read 315,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'd say yes! That's actually something I've noticed as an Atheist, the community in the US seems (from afar) to have a much more vocal, militant, and proselytizing character to it. Atheists in Canada are kinda reserved about it and I don't really hear about Canadian Atheist organizations fighting all kinds of legal battles and trying to defend the irreligious position in the public sphere. I guess because religion is more private, people keep irreligion private to about the same degree. There's less to push back against and in an environment where religious matters arise less, it's less likely you'd find public or obvious cases of discrimination that would capture major attention and spark public engagement.

Also, fighting about religion where everyone can see would be most impolite!
That's the way it is in Europe too. Atheists are so active in the US because religious extremists are hyperactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,236,833 times
ive relatives in vancouver island , they are a real life version of ned flanders family from the simpsons apart from the fact that they are catholic , they come across like middle american w.a.s.p,s however , puritanical in the extreme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada