Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel closer to Canadians in faraway provinces or to the Americans a stone throw south of you?
I am from Western Canada and I feel closer to NW Americans than I do to eastern Canadians 1 12.50%
I am from Eastern Canada and I feel closer to Midwest/NE Americans than I do to Western Canadians 2 25.00%
I am from Western Canada and I feel closer to Eastern Canadians than to NW Americans 3 37.50%
I am from Eastern Canada and I feel closer to Western Canadians than to Midwest/NE Americans 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
I feel closer to anyone in Canada than the U.S. No matter where I am living, even if it is a stone throw away. It's just because Canada's ideas and culture is quite unique and different. I live in Calgary and I would relate to more people from Newfoundland and even Quebec for that matter than anywhere in NW U.S. It may be just me but I feel the whole nation has more in common (Maybe Windsor being the exception)
As a Northwestern USer, I relate more to Canadians than to people from the South and Lower Midwest, and maybe about equally to 'Yankees' who live outside the Northwest.

And you're right about Windsor, I met a guy from Windsor and he said he struggles saying 'zed' instead of zee, because of the American media influence coming right across the river from Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I was American in my earlier years (Still am i guess)but have been a Canadian for the last 40+ years,i now relate much easier with Canadians than Americans, When i go back to the USA to visit friends and family i just dont fit into their topics of conversation anymore as it seems the USA has become hysterically obsessed with politics and all its ramifications,i try to keep up on topics by hanging out (way too much)on CD's political section but so much of the content there is like a train wreck and just leaves me with a who cares or why is that important attitude, My own brother who is somewhat of a Limbaugh clone usually greets me when i come to visit him in Florida with "the family Communist has come to visit",merely because i live in Canada.Nice to see you too bro..
Ensuing conversations throughout the visit with said friends and family no longer revolve around bikes and cars and babes and fishing but whats my stance on gays,Obama,Immigrants,The environment,Obamacare etc.And if my position on any subject doesnt agree with who ever i'm talking to a heated discussion usually ensues.. Really?
I identify more with any Canadian than a close by American, i think theres something in the water down there that is inflicting most with some form of collective dementia, i'm not comfortable going down there any more and when Mom and Dad pass i probably wont go there again...

Last edited by jambo101; 06-27-2012 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,519 times
I do not find I associate more with any one area. Like lucknow was suggesting, I find there are people I can relate to everywhere. Our nations are both very ethnically and culturally diverse. Having lived in Ontario, BC, and the Eastern US, as well as spending quite a bit of time in the Caribbean, I just don't feel more connected to one place or another. Yes, politically perhaps I have more in common with Canadians but I cannot stand political discussions so I just stay out of them anyway.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I feel connected to all of Canada. Canada is like my house and yard, and all my family in it that I enjoy living with, and USA is just the neighbour on the other side of the fence. Nice to talk to across the fence once in a while and sometimes get together for BBQ but don't always see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and we each have different rules for our homes. I've heard it said that good fences make for good neighbours and have learned that it's true and I'm glad the fence is there. I like my neighbour well enough but I wouldn't want to share my yard or live with the neighbour.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada