Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 PM

82 posts, read 288,073 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

First of all, I am not a Canadian native, I'm from the US(Texas, in fact). Ever since I was a child it was my dream to live in Canada, now even moreso with American politics. I'm tired of the American Government playing everyone's dictator. Not to mention, from what i have seen in pictures in magazines and google Canada is among the most BEAUTIFUL places on earth, if not the most beautiful. I'm interested in the Vancouver region, and Whistler. I know I will likely never become a citizen of Canada as it's probably incredibly difficult. However, I do intend on exploring my options thoroughly. I'm currently a Nursing student.. I'm not sure how well Nurses earn a living over there in Canada as opposed to here in the U.S.

My plan is as follows, to move as far North in the US as possible, namely Bellingham, WA where I can experience similar weather to Vancouver. From there, I want to explore my options as far as immigration(I wont need any information regarding that, I can check around the forums for this information.)
I understand that life is no different from US, and that the cities are all virtually the same as American cities with the exception of cities like Quebec, and of course, lower crime rates.

I'd like more information regarding Whistler and Vancouver. For instance, what is the distance between them? What is the cost of living of Whistler as opposed to Vancouver? Would it be feasible as a Nurse to live in Whistler, or is it entirely too expensive? Keeping in my mind, my wife also intends to go to Nursing school soon as well. I like mountainous regions, I am fascinated with them! I also enjoy a bit of a snow(its hard to come by in Texas). Can anyone perhaps post some pictures of Whistler? Some "downtown" shots, as well as some mountain views from the Whistler area?

P.S., Is whistler just a tourist\skiing resort, or a worthy place to live?

Thank you guys, hope I haven't caused too much trouble. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Whistler is an expensive to live in tourist town.Probably be better to live in Vancouver and commute to whistler for winter activities,you could also consider the less expensive nearby communities of Squamish, Brackendale or Pemberton.
Dont automatically assume immigration to Canada is impossible, doesnt cost anything to get the ball rolling in that direction..
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Whistler is great. Just remember, the B.C. in the province name stands for Bring Cash

Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
If you want an easy commute to Whistler and Vancouver in a beautiful, mountainous locale, do consider Squamish BC which is about mid way between the two.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
If you want an easy commute to Whistler and Vancouver in a beautiful, mountainous locale, do consider Squamish BC which is about mid way between the two.
Thanks, I'll be checking some of that out whenever I get home from school. Also, to the previous poster, you're saying that any province with B.C. in it, is considerably more expensive to live in as compared to other provinces? At any rate, I would assume that a Nursing salary would be enough to earn at least a comfortable enough living to get by on. Is Whistler more expensive than Vancouver, or is the entire area pretty much encompassing the same form of economics?

Does anyone have any pictures of the Whistler area, or Squamish area?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewed View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of the Whistler area, or Squamish area?
Google images would be better than anything we can give you .
Heres a pic just entering Whistler
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/79560017.jpg

McDonalds in Pemberton
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/79560015.jpg

Squamish Hospital where i spent 3 hours in Emergency room getting diagnosed with a Kidney Stone.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/79560018.jpg

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
As nurses you might get in under the NAFTA agreement, check it out. Personally I'd do a free consult with an immigration attorney, most offer that.

I know Canadian nurses can get into the US and work pretty easily under this agreement as there is a shortage of them.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM

506 posts, read 958,291 times
The mountains are beautiful there from what Ive seen. Wouldn't mind a visit during Christmas time.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Well unfortunately, I've read numerous posts about Canada being far worse than America as far as controlling Government goes, and how unbelievably expensive it is in the B.C. area it seems more like a miserable place to be and more of just something to visit. It does look beautiful, I'll give it that. But I don't like the "Bring Cash" mantra, or the poverty thing I've seen everyone talk about with the B.C.

As uneducated as this might be, what is the difference between the rest of the Canadian provinces that don't share the "b.c." name? I particularly prefer the western side of the country, both US and Canada for it's rain, mountains, and nice weather. What can anyone tell me about Calgary? I hear it's a good place to live and is like "texas of Canada", i'm from Texas currently.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Spewed if you are going to come to Canada and find fault with everything you will be continually underwhelmed and not really enjoy your stay, if you are looking for Texas in Canada i'd say Calgary is as close as it gets but if you are already in Texas you'd find Calgary a pale imitation of the real thing.
As for the rest of the provinces they all have their distinctions culturally and geographically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada