Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM

1,328 posts, read 3,167,191 times

Advertisements

It's more expensive but it's worth it to live away from the craziness in the US. Plus it's not that bad. People complain a pint of Ben and Jerry's is $7.50 in Vancouver, guess what, it's 6 bucks down here in Portland. Ben and Jerry's is overpriced ridiculously, not Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 AM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Is it accurate to say that prices in Canada are higher than the United States for everything except health care? Do Americans pay less than Canadians for made-in-Canada products like maple syrup and whisky?
In general, yes.

How much do Americans pay for made-in-Canada products like maple syrup and whisky?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Might be considered under healthcare but prescription drugs are much cheaper in Canada.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,643,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
How ignorant. I guess we should just get rid of unions and start working like Chinese workers.
Honestly, what's wrong with Chinese workers? Is it wrong to work hard, not feeling entitled to 6 weeks of vacation?

I don't know if you have ever been to China before starting all this demonizing speech. Chinese manufacturing workers have seen 20% wage increase in the past 1-2 years, how about Canadian ones? If you think imposing a $4 minimum wage would improve their life dramatically, you are deadly wrong. Thousands of factories will have to close and millions of workers will be let go immediately, and they have nowhere to go but back to the farmland they came from making even less income.

If these Chinese didn't work like "Chinese workers" as you sanctimonious despise, and had demanded everything Canadian union workers have, China wouldn't have been the fastest growing country with rapidly rising standard of living.

On statutory holidays, all Canadians stores close completely or very early except those in Chinatown. Those people are willing to sacrifice leisure to work more, in order to make some more money. I respect that kind of work ethics, and you think there is something wrong with that?

This habitual referring to world's most hardworking people who brought the majority of world's growth in the past decade as some sort of inferior species by westerns is really embarrassing.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,136,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Chinese manufacturing workers have seen 20% wage increase in the past 1-2 years, how about Canadian ones?
Right!

20% wage increase on what?

This article (see the link below) talks about Chinese manufacturing workers, stating average hourly wage of $.57(!). Yes, that's right: 57 CENTS PER HOUR! Granted, this article is a little outdated (2006), but even assuming 25% wage increase per year, how much would it be now? You do the calculation. And no unions and medical insurance! A quote from the article sums it all up in one sentence: "Chinese workers remain among the lowest paid in the world. The average total labor compensation for a Chinese manufacturing worker is 57 cents per hour, with many making far less than that, benefits included."

This is how growth in China is created! Pure exploitation and treating people like animals. Try it yourself if you admire that system so much.

Here is the link:

Good Luck Competing Against Chinese Labor Costs Manufacturing Job Growth In China Is Headed Up, Not Down; 109 Million Manufacturing Workers In China Dwarfs Number In U.S.

Honestly, Chinese manufacturing workers have nothing to brag about. They would kill to have a lifestyle Canadians have. Your previous post must be a joke! Why don't you think first before posting that nonsense about "hardworking Chinese people"? Do they have a choice?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 07-06-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It would seem that we are indeed paying just a little over half of what you're paying for your "system ".
And as a Canadian, who has lived in the US for the past four + years, I can say you get exactly what you pay for.

My OVERALL costs are about 40% less living in Texas v. living in Alberta. Yes I pay for healthcare directly out of my pocket, but the government isn't helping themselves to that cost and then some via taxes. I don't want to steer into a healthcare debate, so I'll leave it at that.

My overall tax rate is less than half what it was in Canada, never mind the actual sticker price of nearly everything short of hockey equipment and Crown Royal is 10-40% less than the equivalent in the Great White North. Some things are more expensive, like property tax and insurance, but those things are also tax deductable so the gaps aren't large.

We went from both of us having to work to maintain a home and lifestyle in Calgary, to my wife working as desired, with a bigger home, better lifestyle and more coins in the pocket. So YMMV, but I've actually done it.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
And as a Canadian, who has lived in the US for the past four + years, I can say you get exactly what you pay for.

My OVERALL costs are about 40% less living in Texas v. living in Alberta. Yes I pay for healthcare directly out of my pocket, but the government isn't helping themselves to that cost and then some via taxes. I don't want to steer into a healthcare debate, so I'll leave it at that.

My overall tax rate is less than half what it was in Canada, never mind the actual sticker price of nearly everything short of hockey equipment and Crown Royal is 10-40% less than the equivalent in the Great White North. Some things are more expensive, like property tax and insurance, but those things are also tax deductable so the gaps aren't large.

We went from both of us having to work to maintain a home and lifestyle in Calgary, to my wife working as desired, with a bigger home, better lifestyle and more coins in the pocket. So YMMV, but I've actually done it.
You are preaching to the choir.

I own a house in Florida and live 5 months of every year down there after spending 6 winters living in Yuma Az. Let's talk greens-fees if you really need proof of your point. 18 holes plus cart on a lush course in Fla for $26 while up here in Ontario it's twice that. Oh, and you are so right on about the Crown Royal!

I will debate only those posts that refer to quality of life issues and the one about healthcare.

I agree in principle that over-all costs are lower for the majority of goods and services in the U.S. but how is this news? It's been that way for over 50 years that I'm personally aware of.

Canadians make many choices related to how they expect their country to be goverened; some good and some not so. I have to opine though, that your experience vis-a-vis healthcare is not the norm but rather the exception and a major illness or even a child birth may change your over-all perception.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM

908 posts, read 1,113,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

In all fairness though, the COL in Texas is some of the lowest in the country.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,136,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Yes, and there may be reasons for that. There is always a catch.

I'm wondering, given a choice, how many Canadians would be willing to live in Texas?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Absolutely. Of course, Alberta would be likely considered among the lowest in Canada. That gets at the bigger point. Are the costs of living closer as you get closer to the 49th? Absolutely. But it's as you move to the extremes that the gap becomes clearer and clearer.

to BruSan's point. I agree, we've been lucky health wise, and my son was born in Canada for multiple reasons, including concerns about the system here, but on the plus side the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) addresses the primary concerns that I have regarding health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada