Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is there a Canadian Barack Obama - a charismatic black or bi-racial pol?
Well the last two Governors General were both minority women, and the role is the single most powerful position (officially, not practically) in Government.

Michelle Jean and Adrienne Clarkson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm also not a big fan of capitalism,from what i see in the USA it leads to ultra greedy attitudes that wont be satiated until every last nickle and dime has been acquired, no amount of money acquisition ever seems to be enough along with general un-compassionate attitude to fellow citizens usually with the obsessive mantra of why should my tax $$$ pay for anything for you.
Odd that America represents the apex of capitalism and China represents the apex of communism and everything in the stores is all made in China..
We've all been conditioned in our society to hate and despise communism however i believe the Chinese version of communism is a more sustainable system of people management than the US version of capitalism,problem with capitalism is sooner or later all the wealth gets accumulated by very few at the top (1% perhaps)
Kinda like a Monopoly game whereby those not at the top have nothing.
The thought/logic of voting into office one of the apex predators in this capitalist system (Romney) leaves most of my Canadian friends scratching their heads.

while i consider myself a capitalist , i dont think i could ever convince myself ( like american republicans do ) that capitalism has any kind of superior morality attached to it , its just more pragmatic IMO but thats all , to listen to some american conservatives , you would think jesus was an arch capitalist when he was clearly big into redistribution of wealth

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
while i consider myself a capitalist , i dont think i could ever convince myself ( like american republicans do ) that capitalism has any kind of superior morality attached to it , its just more pragmatic IMO but thats all , to listen to some american conservatives , you would think jesus was an arch capitalist when he was clearly big into redistribution of wealth
Yes, I think Christianity is probably more 'communist' than 'capitalist' of anything, though I would say it's neither and essentially apolitical. Jesus more or less believed that Christians should pay their taxes and obey the law but that in general politics weren't really important.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp0084 View Post
just wondering, why do canadians even care so much about american politics?
I think it's because we see certain issues (healthcare, gay marriage, the war on drugs, gun control, abortion, death penalty) that are still being debated in your country that have been settled here without much fanfare and frankly it's fascinating. Fascinating and truly bizarre the way your media pundits, lobbying bodies, and even your politicians try to twist and bend public opinion in their favour. It's almost like politically, the USA is caught in the 1800's...still a settler mentality.

It's not just us who find American politics jarring in this way, many Europeans feel the same way only they are buffered by the daily onslaught of media propaganda that we have access to.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Canadians love Obama. Most of us hated George Bush and were in complete shock how a man like that could be elected into office. Obama on the other hand is a complete turn-a-around for the US. He is generally well liked here.
You can have him.

Hopefully he will be looking for a job soon. He has no private sector experience, but he can rabble-rouse with the best of them. Perhaps you have something for him in Canada?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
You can have him.

Hopefully he will be looking for a job soon. He has no private sector experience, but he can rabble-rouse with the best of them. Perhaps you have something for him in Canada?
I'm sure most Canadians would take Obama over Romney if that was the choice.And would probably take Obama over our current PM Harper.
As for Obama's private sector experience? that's why he has a staff of advisers,and although Romney touts his private sector experience he's quite vague on exactly what he did. Did either of the Bushes or Reagan have private sector experience?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 AM

207 posts, read 926,247 times
Quote:
I'm sure most Canadians would take Obama over Romney if that was the choice.And would probably take Obama over our current PM Harper.
As for Obama's private sector experience? that's why he has a staff of advisers,and although Romney touts his private sector experience he's quite vague on exactly what he did. Did either of the Bushes or Reagan have private sector experience?

Agreed! Private sector experience is overrated. I have worked both in government (U.S.) and the private sector (several Fortune 500 Companies) and the differences are immaterial.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
Quote:
Did either of the Bushes or Reagan have private sector experience?
Yes - Bush Sr. founded Zapata oil (now Harbinger Inc.) and ran it's offshore division for several years until his entry into politics. Bush Jr. also spent several (somewhat unsuccessful) years in the oil business and was managing partner of the Texas Rangers.

Romney apparently spent several years as a management consultant, so it's not surprising that he's vague on exactly what he did.

Private sector experience, rather than being any better experience with regards to management can position someone as an "outsider" rather than a career politician. Of course, in Romney's case, he was already a state governor, so the argument falls pretty flat.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I guess it demonstrates that previous business experience is not necessarily an asset..

Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
I wonder if they realize that a lot of liberal people have been turned off by how conservative he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada