Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
When you think about it though, the numbers are leveling off to where they should be.

Considering the US has a population of approximately 311,500,000, 34,000 Visas sounds average (0.00010915% of the population) Conversely Canada at 34,100,000 and average of 10,000 Visa applications the past two years (0.00029326% of the population) Hopefully the numbers are about equal in the coming years, because Canada is still losing a larger portion of its population in comparison.

Keep in mind also many Visa applications are for temporary moves. You could be a student or someone working on a temporary project. In 2010 I was working under a Turkish Work Visa on a project in Istanbul, doesn't mean I planned on moving there long term.

Finally overall I like this trend. People are starting to view this economy globally and I think it is refreshing to see Americans willing to relocate to experience another country and culture. When the US economy bounces back, many of these people will return with valuable International work and cultural experience that can only benefit the US in the long run. Working and living abroad make you a more well rounded person in my humble opinion.
That's the same attitude I'm having. The numbers indicate more people are becoming aware that the north american continent is not simply one nation but an amalgem with unique opportunites presented by each of the members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Interesting, but I am not surprised. I remember having a kid move from Toronto into the school district I grew up in and there are your share of people in my part of Upstate NY that have Canadian roots and/or relatives. So, I think certain parts of the States have always been more fluid in terms of moving back and forth to and from Canada.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 PM

43 posts, read 61,176 times
Everything from food to housing. So anyone who is thinking of moving to Canada should bear that in mind, and carefully investigate their housing options especially. Rents are incredibly high and houses are about 4 to 5 times more expensive in Ontario than they are in your average American town.[/quote]

Yeah, every Real Estate Site I looked at they were asking for at least $300,000 which coming from Michigan is ridiculously E$pen$ive. I fell in love with Toronto and was thinking about moving their untill (Sighs)I saw how unaffordable it is.

Last edited by GreatLakesStateofMind; 07-15-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind View Post
Everything from food to housing. So anyone who is thinking of moving to Canada should bear that in mind, and carefully investigate their housing options especially. Rents are incredibly high and houses are about 4 to 5 times more expensive in Ontario than they are in your average American town.
Yeah, every Real Estate Site I looked at they were asking for at least $300,000 which coming from Michigan is ridiculously E$pen$ive. I fell in love with Toronto and was thinking about moving their untill (Sighs)I saw how unaffordable it is.[/quote]

It's true. In most places in the U.S. (aside from hotspots like Boston or New York City) $300,000 will get you a very very nice house. In Toronto, and also Burlington where I live now, $379,000 will get you a little bungalow. I don't know how people can afford it, because wages don't seem much higher. (and like someone already mentioned you can't even write off your mortgage interest payments).

And property taxes, ALL taxes are higher.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM

65 posts, read 185,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Americans moving north now outnumbering Canadians moving south.

Recession, unemployment drive Americans north | CTVNews

It has nothing to do with healthcare either.

The reference to the "Land of Opportunity" was once assumed to be only the U.S. and now has come to include Canada in the thinking of many.
You're exactly right...This is what it's coming down to anymore. Tbh: not many of us Americans never did cared about the healthcare, since ours is out of the question and heard that Canada's healthcare is great and is given to everyone but, we think there's a catch. We more all are into land of opportunities (else where) since, our American's jobs are been taken away and is given to other immigrants. Which leaves us heading north...Even, my trucking career and industry job market isn't looking soo good. Don't Canada needs another trucker?

Actually, starting to see a trend...Us Americans heading up north for jobs, however...we are not intending to kick out Canadians for their jobs, JUST for better money... Philippines, Mexicans and other foreign people are coming over to the U.S. and taking away our jobs for better wage compared to their country. However, many of them is on a contract and have to go back about their contract is up. Granted, some are on 5 years and others are between 5-20 years. I'm not exactly sure how their contracts works, depends on circumstances but, eitherway...it's keeps getting worst and worst every year and we are running out of options.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yeah, every Real Estate Site I looked at they were asking for at least $300,000 which coming from Michigan is ridiculously E$pen$ive. I fell in love with Toronto and was thinking about moving their untill (Sighs)I saw how unaffordable it is.

It's true. In most places in the U.S. (aside from hotspots like Boston or New York City) $300,000 will get you a very very nice house. In Toronto, and also Burlington where I live now, $379,000 will get you a little bungalow. I don't know how people can afford it, because wages don't seem much higher. (and like someone already mentioned you can't even write off your mortgage interest payments).

And property taxes, ALL taxes are higher.

Property taxes in Toronto are most certainly not higher than many parts of the U.S. like New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, or Florida.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Property taxes in Toronto are most certainly not higher than many parts of the U.S. like New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, or Florida.

Maybe not New York City but my sister has a condo in Florida and she pays about $600 - $700 a year property tax.

I paid $600 a year in property taxes on my condo in Louisville KY. But the assessed value was $74,000. It was a nice 2 bedroom 980 sq foot condo. There aren't many homes in Ontario selling for $74,000 (maybe none lol).

I know my Dad pays thousands in property taxes on his condo in Ontario. And his condo fee is $600 a month, whereas mine in the U.S. was $293/ a month (incl. utilities) which was considered high for my area, I had trouble selling it because of the 'high' condo fee.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Check out condo fees and property taxes in New Jersey. A 200000 dollar house in Niagara Falls ON will have taxes about 2600 per year. Not as cheap as North Carolina or Tennessee but much cheaper than New York NJ or California. And you can find your 75000 dollar condo in Ontario... try the smaller cities. Of course if you want to be in a hot job market like Toronto real estate is much higher. Check out Northern Va. for comparables and a good economy with high employment rates... Fairfax VA makes Mississauga look cheap.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Check out condo fees and property taxes in New Jersey. A 200000 dollar house in Niagara Falls ON will have taxes about 2600 per year. Not as cheap as North Carolina or Tennessee but much cheaper than New York NJ or California. And you can find your 75000 dollar condo in Ontario... try the smaller cities. Of course if you want to be in a hot job market like Toronto real estate is much higher. Check out Northern Va. for comparables and a good economy with high employment rates... Fairfax VA makes Mississauga look cheap.
In Upstate NY, tax rates are high, because our homes are pretty affordable. It is not out of the question to get a decent home for just under 100k in a solid suburb around here with good schools and that is safe. If your budget is for 150k and up, you can pretty much live wherever you want in Upstate NY. NY State varies in terms of cost of living too.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Does the fact everything is more expensive in Canada mean Canadians are actually poorer than Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada