Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM

36 posts, read 155,819 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to NB sometime in the next few years.

Can you give some advice on areas to explore?

We are looking for the following
- Quiet, rural, near the ocean/or river/lakes/recreation (think "Chef at Home")
- Within commuting distance of a larger city (30-40 minutes highway max)
- Cost not really an issue

Ideas??? I am originally from Vancouver so that is the sort of thing I have in mind when thinking of ocean or lake/recreation etc something like you'd find in the Okanagan in BC if you are familiar. We are currently in MTL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:15 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Shediac, Cap Pele. 15 and 25 minutes from Moncton respectively. Beautiful beaches, friendly people. Shediac is quainter, nice restaurants. Beaches in both areas are stellar. Parlee Beach in Shediac, Aboiteau Beach in Cap Pele.

Other options, St Andrews - 30 minutes from Saint John. Quaint liltle town, dead as a doornail in winter though. Basically anywhere in southern New Brunswick you will find a myriad of little towns that are near the ocean and scenic, and within easy driving distance of Moncton, Saint John or Fredericton.

Also, if you are open to Nova Scotia, check out the Annapolis Valley (sp?)- just suggesting that due to fruit growing. Closest city would be Halifax. There are lots of lakes and rivers everywhere in the Maritimes.

I would suggest you look on www.propertyguys.ca and www.kijiji.ca for homes as well. Selling ones own home without a realtor is hugely popular in NB and you will find a lot of homes that aren't on MLS (realtor.ca) there. I have bought and sold lovely homes with Property Guys in particular.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,688 times
Default Moving out east, are the stories true? Mistake?

Myself and my husband are looking for a change of pace in life and are looking to move from fridgid Northern Ontario to out east. My husband has graduated as millwright mechanic with honours, but after 2 attempts at completing his appreticeship must start all over for reason that are not his fault. He furthered his posibilitties in finding work by taking the transport trainning course to get his Az license. He also has many yrs working as a plant operator and has performed other jobs through the yrs. We had chosen New Brunswick, however after researching through different forums am worried the consensus is true about ppl and the area and jobs. We have seen ppl write it is a prodominantly french area, ppl are friendly if they think your a tourist but quickly become "snooty" once they realize your there to stay. I have read on other forums Nova Scotia is difficult to achieve full time employment unless you are immigrating and that the province is a free for all with crime. PEI seems wonderful but again employment is difficult unless your immigrating and the cost of living often exceeds your wage's means. The solitude and lack of nightlife is exactly what we're looking for, which may drive other ppl to leave. Growing our own food etc is the kind of lifestyle we love. Can anyone who has moved there or has lived any place out there please clarify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada