Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 16,878 times

Advertisements

Okay, so, I've been to Canada before, and stayed for a weekend with some friends and it was no big deal. The were some questions asked at the border ("Other than your job at Seven Eleven, what do you have anchoring you to America?" Heavy sarcasm on Seven Eleven :c Thanks a lot, guy) but it ended up being no big deal.

I'm going again, except this time, I'm kind of going for longer than a weekend. A bit longer than a month, actually.

I was nervous about being denied entry the first time, and that feeling has only intensified with the extended length of my stay.

I'm not planning on running away to Canada, honest, I just want to pretend I'm actually an adult and live away from my mother for a little bit.

Has anyone got any advice about how to make sure I'm allowed in? I've got friends I'm staying with, so I have their address, obviously, and I live with my mother, so I have somewhere to come back to, if I'm suddenly not friends with my people anymore/at the end of the time I've decided to stay.

What tips are there for convincing a border guard that you ARE coming home, even if you haven't got a job and don't go to school. The guy just looked at me like I was nuts last time, when I said I couldn't leave my cats. (Don't worry, I realised it sounded flippant and regretted saying it the instant the words left my lips, though I was - and am - quite sincere)

I live in Michigan, so I'd also be happy to hear if anyone knows if one point of entry is easier than another - Would Windsor be easier or more difficult than Blue Water Bride (Where I crossed the first time) for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,189,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidleet View Post
Okay, so, I've been to Canada before, and stayed for a weekend with some friends and it was no big deal. The were some questions asked at the border ("Other than your job at Seven Eleven, what do you have anchoring you to America?" Heavy sarcasm on Seven Eleven :c Thanks a lot, guy) but it ended up being no big deal.

I'm going again, except this time, I'm kind of going for longer than a weekend. A bit longer than a month, actually.

I was nervous about being denied entry the first time, and that feeling has only intensified with the extended length of my stay.

I'm not planning on running away to Canada, honest, I just want to pretend I'm actually an adult and live away from my mother for a little bit.

Has anyone got any advice about how to make sure I'm allowed in? I've got friends I'm staying with, so I have their address, obviously, and I live with my mother, so I have somewhere to come back to, if I'm suddenly not friends with my people anymore/at the end of the time I've decided to stay.

What tips are there for convincing a border guard that you ARE coming home, even if you haven't got a job and don't go to school. The guy just looked at me like I was nuts last time, when I said I couldn't leave my cats. (Don't worry, I realised it sounded flippant and regretted saying it the instant the words left my lips, though I was - and am - quite sincere)

I live in Michigan, so I'd also be happy to hear if anyone knows if one point of entry is easier than another - Would Windsor be easier or more difficult than Blue Water Bride (Where I crossed the first time) for example?
There is no way to "make sure you're allowed in", the border agents have all the power and can do whatever they want.

Your bolded statement sounds rather suspect. Are you going to Canada for a month or two or are you hoping to stay? If you have no ties to the US it will be a harder sell (just like it is for Canadians entering the US).

Unfortunately your age, looks and convinceability will play a big part in whether you get in or not. If you are well dressed and well groomed and seem organized and are polite and look the agents in the eye (and don't lie) you have a better chance. They are trained to detect lying.

Have a set return date and a reason you have to return then and it will be simpler.

Any point of entry can be either smooth or difficult so I would pick the one that's closest.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,326,655 times
Just make sure all your doucments are in order. be Honest when answering questions, thas all you can do. And dont worry too much.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,878 times
I am not hoping to stay. I have planned to come home on September fifth. By the bolded line, Adventuregurl, I only meant that if I need to come home early, I can.

But the whole "having a reason" thing is what really gets me. What reason is there? My family, is that enough or do I need to be like "Don't worry, I have a dentist appointment"? Is "Because I want to come back home" a legit reason, or will people question me?

Generally speaking, of course. I know you guys can't speak for what the agent I deal with will be like.

I suppose I'm just nervous about the length of the stay being an issue. But I do have a very defined duration in mind, so that will help, right?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 PM

981 posts, read 2,701,174 times
Be specific on when you'll return. Being vague makes them suspicious that you'll return at all and then they worry about proof you will return.
If you are driving a US car it helps.
If you fly have the return ticket with you.

When i ran into this situation trying to enter the US I was turned away. I returned with a copy of a lease and a letter from my employer stating they expected me to return after my vacation. The second attempt they never asked after they saw my return train ticket.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,069,191 times
They going to want to know exactly where you are going to stay and for how long and if its going to be a few months they will want to know how you will support yourself while in Canada and be prepared to give them an exact date of return., bring addresses and phone numbers of people you are staying with so they can call to verify if necessary, they may give you some additional questions if you dont have a steady job as they usually think people with no jobs could very well just stay in Canada...
At the border just relax and give honest answers and you shouldnt have a problem,Volunteer no extra information they dont ask for,just give em the facts,
And you'll need a passport to re-enter the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada