U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian living in Australia and I am seriously considering purchasing a Investment property for under 200K, having only lived in Toronto I am only familiar with suburbs surrounding the GTA, but I am really open to any area of Canada, this would be for a long term 10yrs plus, obviously would like a place that would be easy to rent and probably in an area/suburb that may have future growth or potential. Any advice I would greatly appriciate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 AM

6,138 posts, read 7,209,499 times
I can tell you that the housing market in Winnipeg is pretty good. My BIL is in real estate and one of his children is as well. My stepson who has invested a lot in Vancouver is planning on investing in Winnipeg properties. But I really don't know anything about it other than that. There was some American actor who made the papers within the last year who ended up buying a house here and he was quoted as saying the housing market here was undervalued.

There are very few rentals available in Winnipeg, which is apparently one of the reasons for the housing boom, with people buying properties in low income areas and fixing them up. I am thinking that in the $200,000 range, you'd be looking at the not-so-nice neighbourhoods.

House market burning hot - Winnipeg Free Press

Old 07-21-2012, 04:22 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,562,525 times
Regina's housing market is hot too.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM

233 posts, read 476,908 times
I don't know what you'd get in St. John's for under $200,000 now but the market is still very strong and prices should continue to rise with upcoming megaprojects. There are probably other areas on the island where you could get property though, Gander has an international airport, the community is doing quite well and houses are a bit cheaper.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 PM

4,761 posts, read 9,133,968 times
I feel like Montreal has really great value for the real estate you buy there, especially considering what a big city it is. I'd definitely consider getting a condo in an up-and-coming neighbourhood like Griffintown, which I bet would be a great investment.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 AM

410 posts, read 547,787 times
I bought a place this year for 210,000$ in the Mile end of Montreal (a really hip, central neighbourhood). It's a new construction in the 750sq ft range (condo). Plan on enjoying it for a few years before selling at a profit (hopefully!)

My sister bought two blocks away 6 years ago, 690sq feet with a parking spot, for 140,000$. She recently consulted with an agent who recommended she list the place at 270,000$. Value almost doubled in 6 years!

Anyhow just my personal story, and my way of +1ing bimbam's post.

I must say, when you mentioned your budget I instantly thought of Montreal. Of all the big cities I think it will offer the most bang for the buck (and the best investment, given that our city is rarely mentioned alongside T.O. and Van as potential victims of a housing bubble)

Barring a referendum (which didn't even scar Montreal's real estate values all that much in 95') I would expect a steady, solid growth over 10 years.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I feel like Montreal has really great value for the real estate you buy there, especially considering what a big city it is. I'd definitely consider getting a condo in an up-and-coming neighbourhood like Griffintown, which I bet would be a great investment.

I have to second that recommendation as Montreal is never mentioned as a bubble city when it comes to real estate. Value in Montreal? I guess looking at from a Canadian point of view and comparing it to Toronto and Vancouver, but I think Montreal prices are high when compared to what is available down here. If it was my choice, I'd choose Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada