Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
my question is what's the rationale for that?
I paid the price for the service (cutting hair, driving) they offer. What's the tip for? For the same service again? It is unreasonable and different for restaurant industry, where we paid for the food, and additional for the service of the waiters.
I don't have a rationale, I just do it because when I was a child my mother told me that I'm supposed to give these people tips and I don't want to break a social contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
[quote=yogini_g;25333403]
Quote:
Speaking of tipping, I have a question that always confuses me.

I can understand the practice to tip waiters, hotel cleaners etc for their services. However, is it also customary to tip hairdressers. cabdrivers etc?

It is expected however; if the "owner" of a salon is (i.e.doing your hair) you are not required to tip him/her but, the shampoo person, blow dry person etc. are still looking for something.
Fair enough. I usually go to those small hair saloons where the owners are the hairdressers.

What about cabdrivers? I don't take cabs often, and I guess I will stop tipping them. It makes absolutely no sense. Like I said, if I need to tip a cab driver, I need to tip a store salesperons as well. I don't mind tipping them if they do extra for me, such as helping with the luggage.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM

179 posts, read 829,093 times
[quote=botticelli;25333834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini_g View Post

Fair enough. I usually go to those small hair saloons where the owners are the hairdressers.

What about cabdrivers? I don't take cabs often, and I guess I will stop tipping them. It makes absolutely no sense. Like I said, if I need to tip a cab driver, I need to tip a store salesperons as well. I don't mind tipping them if they do extra for me, such as helping with the luggage.

I don't tip taxi drivers. However I do round up the amount for the sake of simplicity and I thought this was the social convention. For example if the total was $16.25 I just give them $17

Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 AM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
Well American waiters/waitresses get paid less than minimum wage and usually a low amount of $2-3 in the U.S. In Canada however, that wage is highly increased so that may be the reason why you can say that Americans tip much more to the waiters/waitresses because they basically live off of tips. However, Canadians always tip anyway because of our culture and it is the standard courtesy in Canada.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 AM

I always tip at restaurants and pizza delivery. I do not tip the barber unless the haircut is substantially good. The higher the service, the higher the tip in my books and I find that fair.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 AM

[quote=botticelli;25333834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini_g View Post

I do not take cabs often either but it never occurred to me that you should tip the cab driver. I will do it next time. If I stay at hotel rooms and the service is extremely good, I usually tip $2-3 in the room as well.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 AM

[quote=MexiQuebecois;25336729]
Quote:

I don't tip taxi drivers. However I do round up the amount for the sake of simplicity and I thought this was the social convention. For example if the total was $16.25 I just give them $17
That may be even more offensive to them than not tipping at all because then they may think you just forgot.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times
[quote=ExtremeMan8;25343284]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
That may be even more offensive to them than not tipping at all because then they may think you just forgot.
Yes, I think giving a small tip is probably a better way to express dissatisfaction with service than no tip at all. Like if you give someone 2 cents as a trip, that's kinda the ultimate f*** you.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
[quote=ExtremeMan8;25343284]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Well, they shouldn't expect any tip in the beginning. I already paid for the service. What is the tip for? Unless of course he provided extra service. I failed to see why we should tip a cab driver but not a cashier at Sobey's or saleman at the Bay.

Money doesn't grow from a tree.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
One time.. In a bar near Toronto we sat at a table and the service was terrible. The waitress was not short handed and over worked she was just really bad. I dropped a few coins at the table. She actually chased us down and said to me. "Here I think you dropped this"... I guess she thought this was a funny way to deal with cheap tippers. I wasn't going to stand for that so I explained loudly in front of the nearby customers " No. that was my way of saying your service was horrible" took my change back and left..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada