Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 10,589 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 about to be 21 and I want to move to canada from NY. Where would be a good place for me to start looking. I'm african- american and gay(idk if thats important or not) also I would like to finish college up there. I plan on getting an apartment and a job. I ike places where I can roam, learn and see new things(place close to museums and such would be nice). As much as I love the outdoors and sports I also like going to clubs so a place with a lively night life would be good but most importantly it should be affordable. I spend around $800 a month witch includes rent, bills, food, gas for my car and the cost of going out.

I must admit the more I think about it the more nervous I get about it but I know this is what I want to do. So any suggestions where I should start looking would be great.

Last edited by lostinthisworld; 08-05-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,156,719 times
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
It all starts here..

Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,604,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthisworld View Post
I'm 20 about to be 21 and I want to move to canada from NY. Where would be a good place for me to start looking. I'm african- american and gay(idk if thats important or not) also I would like to finish college up there. I plan on getting an apartment and a job. I ike places where I can roam, learn and see new things(place close to museums and such would be nice). As much as I love the outdoors and sports I also like going to clubs so a place with a lively night life would be good but most importantly it should be affordable. I spend around $800 a month witch includes rent, bills, food, gas for my car and the cost of going out.

I must admit the more I think about it the more nervous I get about it but I know this is what I want to do. So any suggestions where I should start looking would be great.

Sorry, but you're not going to get very far with $800 a month for rent and living expenses. I'd say a minimum in Toronto to survive would be $1800/month. Gas, car insurance, sales tax, many goods & services all more expensive in Toronto, plus tuition would be higher for a foreign student.

Here are some rents for bachelor apartments in cheaper areas of Toronto:
http://viewit.ca/vwListings.aspx?bed...0-%20SE%20(T6)

I guess if you're living to live with roomates. good luck!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,471,828 times
Montreal, with it's lower cost of living for a big city and its great night, sounds ideal for you. You'd have to learn some French, however, but if you're willing to do that it could be a great move. How are you planning to immigrate? Are you coming on a student visa, or are you coming to work?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM

I took a few yrs of french so I'm not too worried about that. Most likely a student visa

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,056,107 times
Sudent visa > attend a Canadian university > employment for at least one year (managerial, professional, technical or trade occupation) > apply for PR under Canadian experience class > cross your fingers and hold your breath.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Can you recommend where should I start looking to live?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,840,813 times
Montreal sounds like the right fit for your budget and desired situation.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,471,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Montreal sounds like the right fit for your budget and desired situation.
Yup, unquestionably the best city in Canada for a student on a budget. Figure out where you want to study (Concordia University or McGill University, unless you want to study at a French uni) and then look for nearby apartments. Is there any specific advice you want?

montreal apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/roo/

4 and half 5 and a half such indicate the total number of rooms in an apartment, the half being the bathroom. Just local nomenclature for housing. Also most people move apartments July 1st, so that's not a bad time to look to sign a new lease but getting a moving truck is hell.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,307,806 times
For a student Montreal would be the best place to look, its less expensive then Toronto and the night life is better (imho).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada