Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 AM

143 posts, read 406,396 times

Advertisements

Is there a place I can get a bed at for about $50-70? Hotels.com and other sites like that only show hotels that are like $140+/night (plus taxes I'm sure).

Is there some cheaper hotels that are maybe not listed online in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I doubt it, especially in the summer. You can try airbnb.com and might find something there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Is there a place I can get a bed at for about $50-70? Hotels.com and other sites like that only show hotels that are like $140+/night (plus taxes I'm sure).

Is there some cheaper hotels that are maybe not listed online in the area?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Look at a map and see if there are small towns outside of Banff. You might find better prices farther away. Banff is a HUGE tourist mecca, as I'm sure you know. They're not going to be giving anything away cheaply.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:25 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
I thought of Kananaski and Canmore too, but the closest are somewhere around $99. That remains the youth hostels / backpackers inns, and Banff National Park - Campgrounds. Some of these campgrounds have hot shower and are enclosed with a fence to keep the bears out, such as Lake Louise Campground. Bring your dog(s) along.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
... Bring your dog(s) along.
Just out of curiosity, why are you recommending that he bring his dogs along? Have you taken your dogs to Banff?

There is no way I would take dogs to Banff. They can't be allowed off leash because of all the wildlife and some places there dogs are not allowed even if they are on leash.

Even Parks Canada suggests to not bring dogs to Banff because they're known to attract and incite attacks from bears and aggressive deer who will attack both the dogs and the people who own the dogs.

Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Wildlife Hazards

Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you recommending that he bring his dogs along? Have you taken your dogs to Banff?

There is no way I would take dogs to Banff. They can't be allowed off leash because of all the wildlife and some places there dogs are not allowed even if they are on leash.

Even Parks Canada suggests to not bring dogs to Banff because they're known to attract and incite attacks from bears and aggressive deer who will attack both the dogs and the people who own the dogs.

Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Wildlife Hazards

My dogs are well trained and they come along when I go camping to Port Hardy, Yoho NP, Banff NP, etc.
I see what you mean though.

Grizzly Bear and Dog Play - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Nyt4Bmi8

Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If its just a bed you want hostels might be the way to go..Google

Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
My dogs are well trained and they come along when I go camping to Port Hardy, Yoho NP, Banff NP, etc.
I see what you mean though.

Aww, that was really cute. I've seen the one of the polar bears before but not the one with the tame old grizzly.

I think that's great that your dogs are well trained. But are the wildlife well trained and do they give a hoot if your dogs are well trained? The old dog out for a walk with his owner in the following graphic video was well trained too but his good training and gentle demeanour didn't do him much good.

Of course it may all be a moot point anyway since the OP didn't ask for information about going camping or taking his dog to Banff , he was asking about hotels.

Cranbrook Deer Attacks Dog - YouTube

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-12-2012 at 03:51 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 02:24 PM

143 posts, read 406,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If its just a bed you want hostels might be the way to go..Google
Probably this will have to do. I'm going on a road trip to Jasper and will need to spend two nights somewhere. I'd normally just sleep in the car but mine is a small 2-seat roadster with seats that don't recline. Definitely not paying $300+ just to sleep two nights.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM

OK grandma, points taken. The OP is wise enough to decide for himself which one of the options suits him best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Probably this will have to do. I'm going on a road trip to Jasper and will need to spend two nights somewhere. I'd normally just sleep in the car but mine is a small 2-seat roadster with seats that don't recline. Definitely not paying $300+ just to sleep two nights.

Thanks!
Good luck eh. Last year I stayed at "Marmot Lodge" @$200+ per night. I drove around and noticed that there were plenty of private homes offering B&B in Jasper. Serious though, I doubt any of them is within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada