Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 102,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You live in Utah...and your talking about how everything is about religion in america...

I was GENERALIZING religion in America. Yes, I live in Utah and there is MUCH to be said about religion in that regard. Just because I live in Utah does not mean I have zero awareness about our Nation or The World.

Not sure if you meant your comment as a joke or a 'dig'?? Either way- I was simply generalizing my opinion. It doesn't mean it's accurate to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM

26 posts, read 102,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
North York Ed.

As part of my "introduction " I was required to ask the passengers with kids, to make sure that they stayed in their seats, and did not reach out over the edge of the bus's body, as at a number of places, we came very close to come buildings, and bridges. It was a standard message, that most people understood, and complied with.

However, some Americans thought that it didn't apply to THEIR kids, and I had to remind them about the safety situation. Talk about attitude !

A second ongoing problem.... was the type of American who wanted to talk, at the top of their vocal range, all the way through the 3 hour tour. I would work around the problem, but when some one ELSE went over and told the jerk to shut up...... I smiled.

The 'Entitled' attitude and lack of respect by not being aware or mindful of vocal volume by ANYONE drives me crazy. lol I understand there are some people who are loud by nature and may not be able to monitor this very well, however, there are plenty of people who are simply rude and could care less how their actions affect others.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You have to remeber that canada only has 45 million people so its going to be much easier to get things passed, unlike america in which we have 300 million.
I guess you don't follow Canadian politics. Having a smaller population doesn't make consensus on important issues any easier. Look at the issue of expanding transit in Toronto, and the mess that funding has become because of political disagreement. The same could be said of many important issues in this country. At the federal level, the current government is able to pass just about anything it wants because it holds a majority in parliament and can pass legislation without the opposition's support. Sort of like when one party in the US has control of both the House and Senate. Meanwhile, in Toronto, we have a right-leaning mayor, a left-leaning city council, a minority parliament with a Liberal government that cannot pass any legislation without support from one of the two opposition parties. As you can imagine, it's a nightmare trying to build consensus for any important issue in Toronto. The same is true in municipalities and provinces across Canada.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
The actual population of Canada is..... about 34 million people, according to Statistics Canada, who ought to know.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Here's a difference. Taking 34 million as the population of Canada, with 308 MPs, each has roughly 110,400 constituents. The US HoR has 435 members to represent some 320 million people, thus each has roughly 735,600 constituents. There is obviously more potential in Canada for a personal acquaintance or contact with one's MP than in the US; simple numbers and the amount of hours in a day dictate that.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-A-Tonic View Post
I was GENERALIZING religion in America. Yes, I live in Utah and there is MUCH to be said about religion in that regard. Just because I live in Utah does not mean I have zero awareness about our Nation or The World.

Not sure if you meant your comment as a joke or a 'dig'?? Either way- I was simply generalizing my opinion. It doesn't mean it's accurate to everyone else.
I know you were.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I guess you don't follow Canadian politics. Having a smaller population doesn't make consensus on important issues any easier. Look at the issue of expanding transit in Toronto, and the mess that funding has become because of political disagreement. The same could be said of many important issues in this country. At the federal level, the current government is able to pass just about anything it wants because it holds a majority in parliament and can pass legislation without the opposition's support. Sort of like when one party in the US has control of both the House and Senate. Meanwhile, in Toronto, we have a right-leaning mayor, a left-leaning city council, a minority parliament with a Liberal government that cannot pass any legislation without support from one of the two opposition parties. As you can imagine, it's a nightmare trying to build consensus for any important issue in Toronto. The same is true in municipalities and provinces across Canada.
I was talking about american politics in a sense of population.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The actual population of Canada is..... about 34 million people, according to Statistics Canada, who ought to know.

Jim B

Toronto.
My bad, i was thinking of another small country.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 AM

133 posts, read 219,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-A-Tonic View Post
BruSan- You offered some really great insight. As an American living in Utah I have been interested in the "Canadian Way of Life" especially in comparison to the "American Way". I must say I wasn't aware of probably 3/4 of the information you posted. Other points you made were opinions/beliefs I had imagined to be true but had no real idea until you explained it.

I personally appreciate many things about Canada and feel Canada's values are more aligned with my own than America's "values". I find Canada to be beautiful (though I've only seen pictures, unfortunately). I find the attitude and behavior of many of my fellow Americans to be an embarrassment.

Something you mentioned that is interesting was in regard to Hollywood/film/movies- I hadn't thought of that before and perhaps it IS because all things American are basically "in your face" that it honestly hadn't crossed my mind that other countries are being left out/disregarded. During Hurricane Sandy I was truly worried for our Canadian neighbors and felt saddened/wondered why there wasn't much mention of how Canada was being affected by the storm. I'm actually surprised to hear that most Canadian news stations would report much of our weather! I think there is a lot that 'us' Americans simply aren't aware of in a similar regard. While some Americans may not think beyond themselves and what we have here, I do.

Thanks again for all the interesting information. (Btw- I've only read page 1 so far so there might be more you've written that I have yet to read) Take care!
Hurricane Sandy was responsible for 159 deaths and $65 BILLION in damage in the US, entire communities were leveled. In Canada there were 2 deaths and $100 Million in damage. What sort of person would not only not understand the news coverage disparity but then use it as evidence with which to denigrate their country?

But thanks for posting, it's interesting to get some insight into the bizarre thought process of an America Hater.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
Hurricane Sandy was responsible for 159 deaths and $65 BILLION in damage in the US, entire communities were leveled. In Canada there were 2 deaths and $100 Million in damage. What sort of person would not only not understand the news coverage disparity but then use it as evidence with which to denigrate their country?

But thanks for posting, it's interesting to get some insight into the bizarre thought process of an America Hater.
By the way, we're getting lots of news coverage here in the US on the current Alberta floods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada