Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,630 times

Advertisements

Could any Canadians out there please spare me 5 mins and tell me in their opinion where should I move to in Canada?? I've been reading up about the major cities in Canada and they seem to have to following opinions attached to them:
Toronto, metropolitan but sprawling suburbs are uninspiring.
Vancouver, North Hollywood, rains alot and is VERY expensive.
Calgary, twinned with Texas!
Montreal, French

I am leaning towards Calgary for the sheer fact of house prices. This is an extremly important decision for us as I'm fed up with blighty and want to make a new life for us in Canada, 'voted the best place to live in theworld!'

Thanks!
P.s my partners an electrician so we have to move somewhere with plenty of work for him!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:05 AM

66 posts, read 204,060 times
Well, I was in Burlington last night and it is the best place to live!

Toronto - lots to do but bad rush hour (rush hours! maybe 7am-10am) - subways help if you live/ work near them - good salaries but very expensive housing.

Toronto Surburbs - not that boring but a little on the sprawling side - better housing prices - can be difficult to drive to Toronto for work (1hr easily) - but trains can help if you live/work near the lines

Vancouver - I hear is very expensive housing - rains a lot - but less extreme temperatures! (ie. winter not as cold as Toronto and summer not as hot as Toronto)

Calgary - Has similarity with Texas. It's not too big not too small - currently in economic boom - so with all the building going on - probably a good market for an Electrician. But housing prices may be inflated with this boom - you may buy a house and it could lose value in a few years - but that's always a guess. Colder than Toronto - but nice summer.

I recommend Calgary or Burlington, for you!

(I think this best place to live stuff is not accurate - but at least it's a good place to live.)

Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,303,741 times
Calgary is going flat out right now. I wouldn't say that home prices are inflated, just that they were grossly undervalued before.

The market here is settling out, and won't collapse or have double digit increases in the forseeable future.

A lot depends on what you want/need in a city for where you go.

Vancouver has a milder climate, not unlike northern England. Grey drizzly winters with wonderful summers. Can be pricey, and only going to get more so as the 2010 Olympics roll closer.

Calgary is at the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains. Great winter sports, camping etc in the summer. Big, spread out. Car is an absolute necessity. Concentrated downtown core. Sunny most of the time, even when cold. Chinooks come in the winter to moderate the temperature, nice summers.

Alberta as a whole has a very hot economy due to oil & gas and you will have zero problem finding employment.

Hope it helps.

Mike

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,991 times
Each city will give you a *vastly* different experience of Canada. Different culture, different climate, different landscape, different activities, etc.

Toronto is the business hub of Canada. There's a fast pace and tons of business headquarters. Every industry in Canada is pretty much covered there. Definitely not the most scenic city, but certainly the largest. It's the city where you live to work. Very multicultural and cosmopolitan. Good public transit but awful sprawling freeways and suburbs. Winters are still very cold, but not as cold as Montreal's, and the summers are hot, smoggy, and humid. You have to travel for hours out of the city before you begin to feel you're away from people.

Montreal is the most soulful city in Canada and the most historic out of the 4 you've listed. It's the city where you work to live. Also very multicultural, but with more immigrants from French-speaking nations than anywhere else in Canada. The city's actually bilingual so you can get by with English, but it becomes harder to find a job without knowing French. Good public transit. Winters are extremely cold here but the city's infrastructure is set up to handle it. In the summer it's hot, smoggy, and humid, but there are at least festivals closing down the downtown streets for weeks on end. Certain perks you can't get elsewhere in Canada are the French-influenced cuisine, French-style bakeries, and French cafe scene. Red wine, croissants and foie gras are staple snacks! (Okay, I exaggerate... but not really!) The only real downside is the high taxation/Quebec bureaucracy and the political situation of the province - an entirely new can of worms you may not be aware of.

Calgary is the least cosmopolitan out of the 4 you've mentioned, but is full of new money and new people investing in new restaurants and whatnot. This is all because of a huge boom due to the oil industry, hence its apparent connection with Texas. Because of this boom, like Toronto, there are lots of business headquarters in Calgary. Scenery-wise, the city feels like a large sprawling suburb, and I hope you have your car, cause you'll need it. Public transit more limited out of the 4 cities you've listed. The city is probably a good place to raise a family, but pretty boring and small-town if you're coming from London. It's an hour and a half down the highway to the Rockies, but otherwise the nearby scenery's nondescript. Weather is freakishly unpredictable because it's on the leeside of the Rockies. Cold winters, warm summers, and snow can technically fall on any month of the year, (though it doesn't stay on the ground long in the summer).

Vancouver's the most scenic out of the four cities with the rainforests, mountains, and beaches literally within the city, so you can leave the city in 20 minutes and feel you're away from the crowds. The payoff is the high housing prices and the lack of interesting nightlife, though there's a decent enough touring arts/music scene. If you love outdoor activities, that's Vancouver's strength. Like Montreal, people in Vancouver work to live (and often leave Fridays early). Foodie restaurant scene on par with Toronto's and perhaps exceeding Montreal's. Suburbs sprawl east and the further you go out, the cheaper it gets. Public transit is only good within the city or along the skytrain line. The demographic's very multicultural, though mostly Asian. The winters are the warmest in Canada (above zero Celsius) and while the rest of the country is under snow, locals are tending spring flowers. Summers are warm, but never hot or humid. The rain falls mostly in the late fall, all through winter, and early spring, but it's not a constant downpour, but more like a light drizzle. Locals go skiing then.

Last edited by Robynator; 10-07-2007 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,991 times
You might want to post this on the Canada : British Expat Discussion Forum because it's dedicated to Brits who have moved, are planning to move, or are researching moving to Canada. These types of questions pop up, and I'm sure like-minded individuals will be able to help you out, as they were once in your position.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 AM

66 posts, read 204,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiecanada View Post
This is an extremly important decision for us as I'm fed up with blighty
What does that mean?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,780 times
England is also known as Blighty

Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From KW View Post
What does that mean?
It dates back to World War II when the RAF pilots returned from their missions they would see the white clifts of Dover and call home 'Blighty'
as they made contact! thanks for taking the time to reply

Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 AM

23 posts, read 234,286 times
If you don't need a big city Canmore (which is about an hour from Calgary) is gorgeous! There are actually alot of British folk living in our development (google Three Sisters Mountain Village for more info). It's really laid back here with tons of things to do and the scenery is beautiful. It's darn cold though

Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 66,447 times
hi all,
1st time i've posted so bear with me! i agree canmore is beautiful.i just hope they don't over-develop it;i like it's small town feel.it is not as cheap as people might think!
can anyone give me info on living in canmore?we have visited many times but would like to know the reality of living there-education(high school),health care etc.and... this will sound really strange, but does anyone know about antique furniture & how it reacts to the dry climate of that part of the rockies? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada