Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Here's another thought on the "glee". Your friends may have witnessed a reaction by "some" of those "religion of peace" neanderthals in an enclave of them. We have a multicultural make-up with groups of various ethnicities centered in major city areas and it may have been one of those areas your friends witnessed rejoicing.

Most Canadians, a vast majority of them were simply aghast at the savagery of that one act and we have had terrorist attacks on our soil before that terrible event.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
This belief is really an example of the attitude some Americans have - thinking they are the center of the universe. 9/11 affected Canadians too, in many ways including the fact that many of them were killed in it. Nobody was gleeful about it, it changed the world as we know it.
^ Nobody was gleeful about it. People were sickened. Everyone in the world knew we (the world) were on the brink of war. I can't remember which station it was (a US station) started it's broadcast by saying World War 3 had started. Gleeful????

What happens in the US unfortunately doesn't stay in the US.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
I actually think I might know what his friend might have heard. I remember one guy when it happened made a comment along the lines of "well, I guess they were bound to provoke this sooner or later with the foreign policy they've been following", but there wasn't a hint of glee in what he was saying, like everyone else he was horrified by the sheer magnitude of that tragedy. Canadians on the whole were VERY sympathetic to the US when that happened and no one even questioned going into Afghanistan to avenge it. We're a NATO country and someone massacred thousands of civilians in your country, popular opinion was massively pro-US in 2001. Things only got rocky as the years went by, however, and Bush alienated Canada in a whole bunch of ways.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:52 AM

127 posts, read 198,343 times
I find it hard to believe that Canadians would be happy about the deaths of 3000 civilians.
Canadians were actually very helpful during that time with Operation Yellow Ribbon where all flights were diverted to Canada on 9/11/01.
Have you considered the possibility that your friends may have approached the topic the wrong way, thus provoking a negative response from the Canadians? They're the nicest people on Earth I really don't think they would cheer the deaths of people.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb90 View Post
I find it hard to believe that Canadians would be happy about the deaths of 3000 civilians.
Canadians were actually very helpful during that time with Operation Yellow Ribbon where all flights were diverted to Canada on 9/11/01.
Have you considered the possibility that your friends may have approached the topic the wrong way, thus provoking a negative response from the Canadians? They're the nicest people on Earth I really don't think they would cheer the deaths of people.
I'm an American and even I think in a certain abstract sense, as a 'nation' we 'had it coming' in a way because of our meddling and imperialism but I'd never actually be happy over 3000 people dying. Hell Canada even helped with our war though probably not entirely willingly.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'm an American and even I think in a certain abstract sense, as a 'nation' we 'had it coming' in a way because of our meddling and imperialism but I'd never actually be happy over 3000 people dying. Hell Canada even helped with our war though probably not entirely willingly.
The political reasons that contributed to why it happened and the whole dissecting of the events that led up to 9/11 are fair comment - but there's nothing gleeful about it. There are those in the US as well who had the foresight to fear a terrorism event of such magnitude happening as a result of US foreign policy. In the aftermath of such horror, it would be unnatural for anyone who cares about the world not to play the hindsight is 20/20 thing.

But glee? Never. But the OP mentioned college so I'm assuming he was very young when 9/11 happened and maybe to him it seems like ancient history. I don't think people who were very young at that time realise just how horrible it was and what kind of terror it instilled in people throughout the world. It was a horror. People were glued to their television sets day and night.

Everyone stopped travelling. Rumours were flying everywhere about potential terrorists. There was a very real danger of the entire world being enveloped in a terrible war - and of course the wars that there have already been have been terrible enough and have laid the foundation for even more conflict further down the road.

And many people fell victim to their worst fears - particularly the press (I have heard they were on a wartime propaganda footing and not allowed to present an unbiased report on what was going on). The press did a terrible job of asking questions of just how these wars were justified and were far too gullible in the belief that overnight Afghanistan and Iraq would embrace American-style democracy or that the war would be won quickly.

It changed the world forever and has set the stage for worse things to come.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Be it latent or explicit, much of the Canadian identity is defined by anti-Americanism. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, Jim Carols.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Be it latent or explicit, much of the Canadian identity is defined by anti-Americanism. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, Jim Carols.
Sorry, I don't know who this Jim Carols is, nor do I believe him...I see a lot more Americans who are anti Canadian posting here here than I do Canadians who are anti American.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry, I don't know who this Jim Carols is, nor do I believe him...I see a lot more Americans who are anti Canadian posting here here than I do Canadians who are anti American.
Jim Carols seems to be the op who doesnt appear to be interested in returning to his topic, but if he does..Maybe i should ask his opinion of my upcoming trip to his country, i hear the place is full of gun toting fat slobs who hang out in their pickup trucks at Walmarts gleefully devising mass shooting events,Skin heads and Gangsta's run rampant in the streets and the cops are just as likely to gun you down for the most trivial of offenses and every one you meet will tell you your a commie pinko when they find out you are from Canada.
At least thats what some of my Canadian friends in America tell me..
Any truth to this Jim?

Last edited by jambo101; 08-19-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
We were more than just a little miffed perhaps at the instantaneous leap to "accuse' by a few senators (notably McCain) and other officials who immediately stated for all the world to hear; those terrorists entered your country through Canada. The truth was very reluctantly disseminated in dribs and drabs, they had all entered the U.S. on valid visitor visas by every other port of call BUT Canada.

Napolitanonuts who couldn't be bothered policing her border with Mexico when she was governor of Arizona gets put in charge of Homeland Security and immediately states it's the border with Canada she's worried about. Strange she wasn't worried about 12 million illegal mexicans all pouring across the border she was responsible for, isn't it?

These are the kinds of things Canadians have endured without too much we can say or do about it because you are our largest trading partner, so in most instances we just have to shut up and tolerate the U.S. talking heads making political points at Canada's expense. The very real question that could be asked with many examples to bolster the claim is "why do Americans hate Canada so much"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada