Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM

162 posts, read 270,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Ok, but after you raise awareness, do you expect some thought and behavior changes from people? If yes, then what kind of change you want to promote? What would be the solutions? Or you just going to inform people that there's a climate change out there? There's also problem with just informing-- people are so compartmentalized with all b.s. global warming MSM propaganda that if you'll just start start telling them something about "climate change", they'll start thinking that taking shorter showers is going to save the earth.

Guess what, neither D. Suzuki nor Al Gore are going to take shorter showers, ride a bicycle to work and live in a 400 sq. feet condo. D. Suzuki is a politicized scientist and a media asset for these crooks to push this carbon tax scam onto people.

thealbertadynamo.com/2011/08/28/more-hypocrisy-from-david-suzuki/

Google "david suzuki scam", "david suzuki fraud", "david suzuki lies". People, don't be so naive, there are all sort of crooks and scumbags out there for our money who get elevated by corrupt system.
I would have to say that I did not know much about suzuki. Someone just told me about him and I used to see his stuff on the weather network channel 22. If he had any kind of issues I don't want to follow in his footsteps because I am just trying to innocently raise awareness of global warming with this walk since people can take some steps towards preventing climate change even if they refuse to take some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM

218 posts, read 510,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
I would have to say that I did not know much about suzuki. Someone just told me about him and I used to see his stuff on the weather network channel 22. If he had any kind of issues I don't want to follow in his footsteps because I am just trying to innocently raise awareness of global warming with this walk since people can take some steps towards preventing climate change even if they refuse to take some suggestions.
"Climate change" is kind of a broad term. For instance, I'm not sure how can we affect "global warming" if it's driven largely by the sunspot cycles activity. There are fluctuations in global temperatures caused by imposition of sunspot cycles of various lengths which overlay each other creating peaks and trends and cause changes in climate. There was a medieval warm age and an ice age (where you could skate on lakes and rivers every winter in Europe and there was ice in the seas, depicted by Dutch painters of that time). I don't see how this has anything to do with human activity and what we can do to affect it. There's no evidence that human activity causes changes in climate (CO2 at least). There's evidence, however, that the period with the higher CO2 levels than now, wasn't the warmest one.

At the end of a day, what should we do about global warming?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM

I was reading that a sudden acceleration in the rate of increase of average global temperatures over the past 50 years has been increasing faster than it has ever in the past. there have been ups and downs much greater than what we have seen, butt the rate of change is faster now than it was back then. this unnatural acceleration in temperatue happens to coincide with the era of human fossil fuel burning and extensive modification of the planet so the only logical explanation is that humans have at least a large part of the responsibility for that sudden rise in temperature.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM

254 posts, read 316,283 times
Luckily, despite the level of ignorance in this thread, only 2% of Canadians don't believe in Global Warming, and only 9% believe it's only due to natural occurrences.

Only 2 per cent of Canadians don

So, OP, don't be discouraged by certain people on this forum. Most Canadians are of the fact-accepting kind. There's always going to be a few people who will reject any kind of fact that scares them, but there's usually little you can do to convince them.

A very good resource for dealing with climate change deniers (for future reference):
How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist

Good luck with your campaign; I wish more people did stuff like this.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post

A very good resource for dealing with climate change deniers (for future reference):
How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist
Thanks for posting that.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
I was reading that a sudden acceleration in the rate of increase of average global temperatures over the past 50 years has been increasing faster than it has ever in the past. there have been ups and downs much greater than what we have seen, butt the rate of change is faster now than it was back then. this unnatural acceleration in temperatue happens to coincide with the era of human fossil fuel burning and extensive modification of the planet so the only logical explanation is that humans have at least a large part of the responsibility for that sudden rise in temperature.

Keep us updated on how the walk goes...

Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Luckily, despite the level of ignorance in this thread, only 2% of Canadians don't believe in Global Warming, and only 9% believe it's only due to natural occurrences.

Only 2 per cent of Canadians don

So, OP, don't be discouraged by certain people on this forum. Most Canadians are of the fact-accepting kind. There's always going to be a few people who will reject any kind of fact that scares them, but there's usually little you can do to convince them.

Good luck with your campaign; I wish more people did stuff like this.
Thanks for your positive reply. I was researching a lot to see if global warming really was of concern in Canada. I am glad you informed on this. You were right about those denyers. There was someone living in my house that argued that it is just a myth. I could not convince him, but I thought that at least most people are not that way.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Keep us updated on how the walk goes...
I will be sure to update on how well it goes. I am sure I will inspire a lot of people to think green! Since I will be walking every street of Toronto to do it, if you see someone walking with a camera and global warming hat and logo, that would be me!

Last edited by Santaronto; 09-03-2012 at 04:58 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Not to dissuade your noble efforts Santaronto but I'm a bit worried about your actual knowledge of the global warming issue, you had a very good opportunity to debate vigorously your side of the issue with forum member The Tourist who basically represents the opposite view as yours(its all a hoax) your response was rather weak/tepid and lacking in any fact or conviction as if your only knowledge of the issue was watching Al Gores movie an inconvenient truth,if you are going to make any inroads addressing your passion for the issue you'll be meeting many people with The Tourists point of view,you 're going to have to come up with a more dynamic response if you are to be taken seriously or expect to make any inroads to change .
Good luck..

Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not to dissuade your noble efforts Santaronto but I'm a bit worried about your actual knowledge of the global warming issue, you had a very good opportunity to debate vigorously your side of the issue with forum member The Tourist who basically represents the opposite view as yours(its all a hoax) your response was rather weak/tepid and lacking in any fact or conviction as if your only knowledge of the issue was watching Al Gores movie an inconvenient truth,if you are going to make any inroads addressing your passion for the issue you'll be meeting many people with The Tourists point of view,you 're going to have to come up with a more dynamic response if you are to be taken seriously or expect to make any inroads to change .
Good luck..
Thanks for reminding me. I will try to be concious of how I support the arguemnt of global warming reality especially if I end up on tv later on for my big global warming walk . Although there are many people maybe most that I won't need to argue with to begin with because they understand that global warming is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada