Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

Theres no doubt global warming is happening just like it has in the past in a constant cycle of warming and cooling, the question is whether human activity is causing an unnatural spike in todays warming trend and if so where will it lead?. While i'm no climatologist or scientist that has spent many years studying the problem i do listen to what they have to say and listen to the many media programs and stories on the issue as well as personal observation and talking with friends from the far north,based on this and the fact that there must be some consequence to using 100 million barrels of oil a day worldwide i'm not so readily convinced its a hoax by government just out to get more taxes. I think erring on the side of caution and trying to clean up the environment and living a cleaner lifestyle will result in a cleaner Earth for generations to come, ignoring the possibility that humans could be destroying the atmosphere may result in a planet unlivable by human standards.
In My Opinion.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-03-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 AM

162 posts, read 270,359 times
My main argument is not wheather global warming is happening but wheather it is human caused. obviously warming has been observed over the last century. As I stated in an earlier post, a relativly recent unnatural acceleration in temperature rise happenes to coincide with the exact time of human industrializasion. There is no other variable on earth or in space that would explain that sudden change other than the fact that people suddenly started removing most green spaces and pumped greenhouse gases in large quantities into the atmosphere. I just read a new statement issud by the american meteorological society indicating the increased level of concern of global warming due to the reasons I mntoined and they specifically stated about the increased confidence that it is by a large part human caused.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
My main argument is not wheather global warming is happening but wheather it is human caused. obviously warming has been observed over the last century. As I stated in an earlier post, a relativly recent unnatural acceleration in temperature rise happenes to coincide with the exact time of human industrializasion. There is no other variable on earth or in space that would explain that sudden change other than the fact that people suddenly started removing most green spaces and pumped greenhouse gases in large quantities into the atmosphere. I just read a new statement issud by the american meteorological society indicating the increased level of concern of global warming due to the reasons I mntoined and they specifically stated about the increased confidence that it is by a large part human caused.

There is one more variable you need to factor in along with industrialization, and that is the world's population explosion in the past century.

In the year 1 A.D the world's population was approximately 200 million and over the course of 1,900 years it very gradually increased to 1.6 billion. Then in the very short period of the past 112 years it went from 1.6 billion world wide to the 7 billion that we have now and which is estimated to reach 8 billion by 2025 (only 13 years away). Literally an explosion that was in large part due to industrialization and increased mass agriculture. Both industry and agriculture contributed to all manner of pollution of earth, air and water and that pollution, a result of human growth and activity, has contributed to the rapid climate change that we see happening now.

While I think it's important to increase awareness about climate change I do not believe there is anything can be done now to slow it down, let alone stop it, because those 7 billion people who are contributing to it now are not going away and we will all continue to contribute to climate change. As long as the earth is supporting that many people and more, there is no chance for recovery of the more natural balance that existed prior to the 20th century. The damage is done and the only thing we can do now is practise conservation of our natural resources (most importantly conservation of fresh water) and to try to eliminate the worst of the many types of pollution we're contributing to the oceans, earth and air.

If everyone would try to be more conservative about population growth, practise more birth control, that would be nice, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think the inevitable consequence of such ever increasing high population will be a mass extinction event and that will bring the earth back into natural balance again.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-03-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 12:29 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Of course it's a hoax. The debate is political, not scientific. Scientifically they refuse to even discuss and just bully and threaten those who disagree, like firing professors who refuse to buy into this scam.

There has always been climate change caused primarily by activity of The Sun (sunspot cycles). There was a Medieval Warm Period and The Little Ice Age which occurred after it. There's no evidence that change in global temperatures is influenced largely by CO2. In fact, a period in this planet's history with the historically highest CO2 levels (times higher levels than we have now) wasn't even a warm one. What they don't tell you is that other planets also heat up/cool down which is caused of course by sunspot activity cycles.

Climate change advocates are useful idiots helping to deindustrialize, impoverish and bring us down to our knees to the satisfaction of a bunch of megalomaniacs.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd like to see these so-called environmentalists explain how the Vikings were able to farm sheep and grow barley in Greenland from 1000 to 1400, long before industrialization and the worldwide burning of hydrocarbons on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, a relativly recent unnatural acceleration in temperature rise happenes to coincide with the exact time of human industrializasion. There is no other variable on earth or in space that would explain that sudden change other than the fact that people suddenly started removing most green spaces and pumped greenhouse gases in large quantities into the atmosphere.
This is 100% conjecture. You cannot claim there has been a greater spike in temperatures during the 20th Century than there was during the onset of the Medieval Warming Period (or how fast it cooled off at the onset of the subsequent Little Ice Age, for that matter) because there were no records kept prior to 1850 at the earliest. The Vikings were growing barley and farming sheep in Greenland in the 10th Century, which is something you cannot do now because Greenland is covered in ice. You are claiming that the world environment warmed up faster in the 20th Century than it did in the 10th - something that you simply cannot prove because no data exists to back that up.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM

I have read that almost any kind of trends can be traced not just hundreds but thousands or more years because of observations fo tree rings and much more. Using lots of scientific data like that, scientists do know about trends on earth long before observations were made with instruments. I can see why that is possible because they even found enough evidence of the big gang which happened at the start of time! which amazes me.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There is one more variable you need to factor in along with industrialization, and that is the world's population explosion in the past century.

In the year 1 A.D the world's population was approximately 200 million and over the course of 1,900 years it very gradually increased to 1.6 billion. Then in the very short period of the past 112 years it went from 1.6 billion world wide to the 7 billion that we have now and which is estimated to reach 8 billion by 2025 (only 13 years away). Literally an explosion that was in large part due to industrialization and increased mass agriculture. Both industry and agriculture contributed to all manner of pollution of earth, air and water and that pollution, a result of human growth and activity, has contributed to the rapid climate change that we see happening now.

While I think it's important to increase awareness about climate change I do not believe there is anything can be done now to slow it down, let alone stop it, because those 7 billion people who are contributing to it now are not going away and we will all continue to contribute to climate change. As long as the earth is supporting that many people and more, there is no chance for recovery of the more natural balance that existed prior to the 20th century. The damage is done and the only thing we can do now is practise conservation of our natural resources (most importantly conservation of fresh water) and to try to eliminate the worst of the many types of pollution we're contributing to the oceans, earth and air.

If everyone would try to be more conservative about population growth, practise more birth control, that would be nice, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think the inevitable consequence of such ever increasing high population will be a mass extinction event and that will bring the earth back into natural balance again.

Your statement agrees with what I am trying to say anyway because my main argument is that humans have contributed to global warming. How much and how fast exactly human influence has grown is quite a bit of detail. Im just glad you agree that humans are responsible because that is the reason for my campaign. Even if people can't stop global warming, every bit of effort against it counts.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Of course it's a hoax. The debate is political, not scientific. Scientifically they refuse to even discuss and just bully and threaten those who disagree, like firing professors who refuse to buy into this scam.

There has always been climate change caused primarily by activity of The Sun (sunspot cycles). There was a Medieval Warm Period and The Little Ice Age which occurred after it. There's no evidence that change in global temperatures is influenced largely by CO2. In fact, a period in this planet's history with the historically highest CO2 levels (times higher levels than we have now) wasn't even a warm one. What they don't tell you is that other planets also heat up/cool down which is caused of course by sunspot activity cycles.

Climate change advocates are useful idiots helping to deindustrialize, impoverish and bring us down to our knees to the satisfaction of a bunch of megalomaniacs.
the notion that C02 and Temperature aren't linked is, frankly, laughable (and even the most tenuous grasp of how to read a chart - like this one ought to dispel it). Granted, there's no way to prove causation, rather than correlation by reading a graph, but that's a different and far more reasoned debate.

It's fairly clear after even a cursory look at that graph that your notion that C02 levels were highest during a cool period is wrong. At least if we're discussing the past 400,000 years.

What's also worth noting in that graph is that, while we're at what appears to be the apex of a warm interglacial period, our current C02 concentration of ~387 ppm is roughly 80 ppm higher than during any of the previous warm interglacial periods. That leaves something of a mystery - why such a large jump when previous interglacials had varied by less than 40 ppm?

Also, the noted conspiracy, scam bent Wikipedia makes note of observations regarding changes in Martian climatic conditions. I'm not sure who's keeping a secret about other planet's climates, but it's certainly not the general public.

I think though, what's most aggravating about rants of this type is that there really is a valid point to be made regarding the Al Gores of the world and the usage of climate change to personal or social engineering ends, but this leaves those on that side looking like scientifically illiterate and ignorant.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Although I don't believe Global Warming a bit and would love to have the last winter every year, I admire OP's determination to do something he strongly believes.

I don't think believers and non-believers can convince each other, but so be it. We have the right to consider it as a FACT, or a conspiracy.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Although I don't believe Global Warming a bit and would love to have the last winter every year, I admire OP's determination to do something he strongly believes.

I don't think believers and non-believers can convince each other, but so be it. We have the right to consider it as a FACT, or a conspiracy.
I think that much of my success will be in reminding people that are not against global warming but have been forgetting about it. They will remember how important it is to not ignore global warming. also people that have never considered arguing against or for the idea of global warming may start to think about it and the environment in general especially if they look up about the latest facts and info ptoving it's existance. As I mentioned earlier, the American Meteorological society has raised their alert level and confidence of global warming being real due to much more proof compared to their previous statement seveal years ago. Many people may be in denial because they can't see it when they look outside and they can't see what's happening in the arctic. But the fact is sea ice just smashed another all time record low.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Matt Green is walking every street of New york city but I am not sure if he is doing it for a cause like I am or just walking. I should guess that it is 'just walking' since that is the name of his site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada