Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 06:12 AM

395 posts, read 859,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Cost to federal government for supporting bilingualism across Canada????

Official bilingualism costs $2.4B a year: study | News | National Post~ SUPPORT!
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't aware that that there was government programs in roc that supported french.

Anyhow I'm so sick of these threads.

Most regular canadians could give a dam about these laws. The only ones kicking up a fuss, are those anglo quebeccers, who weren't bright enough to pick up french after 40+ years of french resurgence in quebec.

Being an anglophone, does not make you special, it does not make you a minority, and being 1 in a billion, does not make you unique.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't aware that that there was government programs in roc that supported french.

Most regular canadians could give a dam about these laws. The only ones kicking up a fuss, are those anglo quebeccers, who weren't bright enough to pick up french after 40+ years of french resurgence in quebec.

Being an anglophone, does not make you special, it does not make you a minority, and being 1 in a billion, does not make you unique.
Note that federal bilingualism in Canada also supports English in Quebec. Historically, federal bilingualism in Canada actually supported English in Quebec more than French in the ROC (especially when it comes to education), but today it is more fairly balanced.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:

If you are sick of the threads about Canadas supposed bilingualism just dont open the topics, What do you think a topic with a title like this one is going to consist of?..
As for long term Anglo's in Quebec kicking up a fuss?it has nothing to do with not being able to speak French as most of us do its more to do with what we perceive as an aggressive campaign by the Quebec government to eradicate our culture mostly by denying us basic linguistic rights.
Maybe its not a big deal to you who dont live here but its a damn big deal to most longterm Anglo's who do live here.We arent trying to be special here,we would like to have the freedom to post a sign in any language we want,send our kids to the schools of our choosing, being able to speak English if we like with out some separatist having a hissy fit at our audacity.
mikmaq as you are looking to move to another part of Canada why not give Quebec a try.

Quote:
but today it is more fairly balanced
. Yeah French in Quebec and English every where else,i can live with that balance..

Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 48,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are sick of the threads about Canadas supposed bilingualism just dont open the topics, What do you think a topic with a title like this one is going to consist of?..
As for long term Anglo's in Quebec kicking up a fuss?it has nothing to do with not being able to speak French as most of us do its more to do with what we perceive as an aggressive campaign by the Quebec government to eradicate our culture mostly by denying us basic linguistic rights.
Maybe its not a big deal to you who dont live here but its a damn big deal to most longterm Anglo's who do live here.We arent trying to be special here,we would like to have the freedom to post a sign in any language we want,send our kids to the schools of our choosing, being able to speak English if we like with out some separatist having a hissy fit at our audacity.
mikmaq as you are looking to move to another part of Canada why not give Quebec a try.

. Yeah French in Quebec and English every where else,i can live with that balance..
You can not send your kids to the school of your choice ? Anglo quebecois have the right to go to english school. Don't blame the government for this...

Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightjack View Post
You can not send your kids to the school of your choice ? Anglo quebecois have the right to go to English school. Don't blame the government for this...
One of the parents has to have done a majority of their schooling in the English sector to qualify for the English school qualification certificate, fortunately for my family my wife did most of her schooling here i wouldn not have qualified as i did most of my schooling in England and the USA. ,if you come from elsewhere you are out of luck and dont have the choice your kids are going to French school whether you like it or not.These linguistic requirements used to end once your child got to CEGEP, not any more..
PQ would make language law tougher - Montreal - CBC News

Last edited by jambo101; 09-23-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
One of the parents has to have done a majority of their schooling in the English sector to qualify for the English school qualification certificate, fortunately for my family my wife did most of her schooling here i wouldn not have qualified as i did most of my schooling in England and the USA. ,if you come from elsewhere you are out of luck and dont have the choice your kids are going to French school whether you like it or not.These linguistic requirements used to end once your child got to CEGEP, not any more..
So let's recap; you have to pass a means test to qualify to send your kids to the school of your choice in Quebec?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't aware that that there was government programs in roc that supported French.

Most regular Canadians could give a dam about these laws. The only ones kicking up a fuss, are those anglo Quebec's, who weren't bright enough to pick up French after 40+ years of French resurgence in Quebec.

My post was in answer to your statement there was no government support for bilingualism when it spends 2.4 billion supporting bilingualism. You don't think of that as support ~tough!

Sick of these threads? You start most of them!

You are quite correct most Canadians don't think of these issues so why are you obsessed over them?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My post was in answer to your statement there was no government support for bilingualism when it spends 2.4 billion supporting bilingualism. You don't think of that as support ~tough!

Sick of these threads? You start most of them!

You are quite correct most Canadians don't think of these issues so why are you obsessed over them?
I've started one on the quebec issue, and it wasn't directly about language.

Anyhow money does not correlate to support.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Then don't move to quebec how hard is this to understand

Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Then don't move to quebec how hard is this to understand
Because some of us are born and raised in Quebec and have large extended families, social networks, and lives in our home province and have no desire to leave, but are made very nervous when the government's official position is to treat us like very unwelcome immigrants until we disappear. Not right. But the main issue is that it's a restriction of opportunity to our Francophone brother's who are just looking to bridge the gap and gain some new skills. They're adults at that age, they should be allowed to go to whatever school they bloody well please and what the government thinks of it be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada