Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most potential?
Calgary 13 59.09%
Vancouver 7 31.82%
Ottawa 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times

Advertisements

Why would that matter for a night club? Calgary is a diverse place, but on the whole they're considered fiscally conservative but not particularly conservative socially, so it wouldn't matter one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM

250 posts, read 642,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerrr View Post
Ottawa is on top of my list as well. And it is only a few hours away from Montreal, Toronto and 8 hours from NYC.
That might help with booking DJs/Acts, but you aren't going to be able to draw customers from these cities.

Quote:
Why didn't anyone tell me Calgarians were conservative in their views.
Your post has only been up for a day...but apparently you figured it out for yourself anyway.

Anyway, I will do Calgary:

The Good
-Young population. We have a tone of people under the age of 30.
-Wealthy. One of the strongest economies in Canada. Calgarians probably have more disposable income (on average) than any of the other bigger cities in Canada.
-Not much competition. We don't really have a big night club in the city (that is worth any attention), nor do have we had a signature "party location" since Cowboys closed down.
-The Stampede. It brings a ton of people to the city and the whole city (at least the ones who stick around) seems to let its hair down to party for a week straight.

The Bad
-Real estate is expensive...especially in the center of the city. Rent for office space is among the highest in the country (was the highest by a pretty significant margin until a few mega-buildings were complete). If you want to build in the center of the city (and I am sure you will), you will be competing against these market forces.
-The city is sprawling. Most people (even young people) do not live within walking distance of the core. The last train departs downtown at 12:30 or 1 (depending on the direction), so a night out can be impractical for some...especially if they are faced with a 70 dollar cab ride home.
-While Calgary has a couple of universities, they are suburban and seem to be commuter schools. Students are often an important demographic, but many of these kids live at home and seem to be less into the university social scene than students in cities like Edmonton, Halifax, or Montreal.
-Calgarians are career focused and seem to settle down early. When I first moved to Calgary, I was surprised with the number of young people who had already bought a house (in the 'burbs, mostly) and started a family. These folks aren't going out on Saturday nights, at least not on a regular basis.
-It isn't much of a tourist city. People travel to Montreal, they travel to Toronto, they travel to Vancouver but they come to Calgary to get to Banff.
-The Stampede. Business may be great for a week, but it will likely be dead in the weeks following as Calgarians nurse hangovers and pay off their maxed out credit cards. Summers prime time for clubs, so unsteady summer cash flow should be a consideration.

The Ugly
- 10k is nearly 1% of Calgary's population. You won't want a club that feels empty. I don't think a city the size of Calgary can support a club this big on a weekly basis.
-Local laws regulating alcohol sales are not in your favor. Currently, all clubs must shut down by 2AM. This isn't a city that will allow for an all night party. Furthermore, Calgary passed a new law that states anybody caught driving with an BAC over 0.05 will lose his or her license for 3 days and face a considerable fine. This may be a good law from a social perspective, but it isn't good for the entertainment industry.
-Many of the local pubs/clubs etc are owned by corporations that likely have some political clout when it comes to granting license. For example, The Concorde Entertainment Group owns many of the trendier establishments in town - including flames central, meaning they are likely affiliated with the Flames, who are owned by local billionaires including Murray Edwards of Canadian National Resource Limited (who also owns many of the local ski resorts). So you will be competing with organizations with deep pockets.

Note the political connections suggestion might be a stretch, but I have always found it interesting that all of Calgary's strip clubs (only 3 of them) were owned by the same corporation. To me this suggests that it might be difficult for another business owner to get the proper license. Calgary's politicians and media have been asking pushing for its night activity to be less concentrated...they don't like having a lot of inebriated people out late at the same time at night, getting into fights and stressing the city's cab supply. I wonder if these corporate interests would lobby against a mega-club that would concentrate late night partying and threaten their business?

-The Stampede. Calgarians who party during the Stampede like to choose western themed locations (even if (perhaps especially if) it is kitschy). We aren't cowboys, but it is fun to play dress up, line dance and two step. I don't know if a mega-club will appeal to this group. Calgarians who hate the Stampede (and there are a bunch of 'em) get out of town this week. Believe it or not, a lot of pubs and bars in Calgary are slower during the Stampede than their regular week. They feel the Stampede hangover too though.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,630 times
I loved Ottawa best out of those three, but when I was young, everyone went over to Hull for nightclubs.
That's all the input I've got.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM

70 posts, read 81,873 times
Is Toronto a better option?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM

242 posts, read 510,812 times
Toronto would be your best option for a night club (2.6 million people in the city, plus another 4 million people within an hours drive of Toronto). You'd have your best luck here. Second option would be Montreal (1.6 million people in the city, plus another 2.3 million in the suburbs). Calgary is a not a party city at all... neither is Vancouver or Ottawa. The entertainment scene in Canada are in either Toronto or Montreal.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM

NYC is also an option as I have family living in the states.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM

65 posts, read 196,920 times
Montreal or Toronto would likely give you the best opportunity for the type of venue you are describing in terms of the density and diversity of people who live in the downtown cores of these cities.

Ottawa is not a good option - it is a government town and lacks density in the core. Most folks return home to the suburbs after work.

It's worth noting that even Peter Gatien, the infamous owner of the Limelight and other "super" clubs in NYC was not able to sustain that type of venue in Toronto. If you google Peter Gatien and Circa nightclub in Toronto, you can get a good idea of the type of problems he encountered trying to run that type of club.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 AM

OK Seeing as I'm young and inexperienced at this, for now I think I'll make an upscale house with the design of a Nightclub. I have thought of ideas for a Nightclub entity where private bookings are only allowed or where you need to wear name badges, but I'm too worried about crime and 'accidents' occurring. I do not really need a Nightclub to 'make monkey', I was going to start one to be the new Guinness Book of Records holder for the World's biggest Nightclub.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
OK Seeing as I'm young and inexperienced at this, for now I think I'll make an upscale house with the design of a Nightclub. I have thought of ideas for a Nightclub entity where private bookings are only allowed or where you need to wear name badges, but I'm too worried about crime and 'accidents' occurring. I do not really need a Nightclub to 'make monkey', I was going to start one to be the new Guinness Book of Records holder for the World's biggest Nightclub.
Then go to Ibiza, Miami Beach, Vegas or the like. There's probably fewer than a dozen places on earth than support a club of that size. Vegas being number one.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM

311 posts, read 1,138,702 times
Ottawa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada