Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's too early for any history to have been written about the current crop of Quebec Conservatives.
I was referring to the pre-Union Nationale Conservatives.

Have you heard "Le ciel est bleu, l'infer est rouge"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I was referring to the pre-Union Nationale Conservatives.

Have you heard "Le ciel est bleu, l'infer est rouge"?
As a graduate of the Quebec history course, I can tell you that pre-Union Nationale Conservatism is not covered in the curriculum. I don't know if people learn it from French pop culture stuff, as an Anglo I only ever consumed a very modest quantity of French pop culture.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
As a graduate of the Quebec history course, I can tell you that pre-Union Nationale Conservatism is not covered in the curriculum. I don't know if people learn it from French pop culture stuff, as an Anglo I only ever consumed a very modest quantity of French pop culture.
It's not widely covered in history nor in popular culture. Everything from 1534 to Confederation (1867) gets attention in both. Then you have Louis Riel, Laurier, the WWI conscription crisis. Then it sort of jumps to WWII and another conscription crisis, and then Maurice Duplessis.

Quebec provincial politics must have been really boring from Confederation to Maurice Duplessis.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not widely covered in history nor in popular culture. Everything from 1534 to Confederation (1867) gets attention in both. Then you have Louis Riel, Laurier, the WWI conscription crisis. Then it sort of jumps to WWII and another conscription crisis, and then Maurice Duplessis.

Quebec provincial politics must have been really boring from Confederation to Maurice Duplessis.
My "History of Quebec and Canada" year-long course with time devoted to each topic (disclaimer: 18 years ago, going solely on memory):

- Jacques Cartier (1534) = maybe an hour
- Samuel de Champlain (1608) = a few hours
- how the Natives lived (Huron and Algonquin: good to us, Iroquois and Mohawk: mostly bad to us) = about 2 months
- Nouvelle-France 1608-1759: tough winters, Filles-du-Roy = about 2 more months
- Plains of Abraham (Montcalm vs. Wolfe), then 1763 treaty of Paris: 'we' lose everything, then 1774 Quebec Act = 'we' get some of it back... = about 1 month
- 1837-38 rebellion, then 1848 responsible government = a few hours
- 1867 confederation = maybe an hour
- what was WWI about? I don't know, but we hated the draft = maybe a minute
- what was WWII about? I don't know, but we hated the draft too = maybe a minute
- 1940: women's suffrage (notice how I didn't say 1918) = about 15 minutes
- Duplessis (and more generally the influence of the Catholic Church since 1608) = about 1 month
- Jean Lesage and the Quiet Revolution (mostly the creation of Hydro-Québec) = about 1 month
- October 1970 crisis, PQ election, 1980 referendum = maybe an hour

Unsolved mysteries:
- who are the Acadians?
- was Trudeau the first Prime Minister of Canada?
- had Duplessis been PM of Quebec since 1867 when he died?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada