Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Due to the geographical size of the provinces, you probably have to be somewhere where there would be a lot of out-of-province plates to see them... such as major tourist attractions and near borders. I imagine one sees a lot of Québec plates in Ottawa, for example. I remember seeing several Alberta plates when I was in Niagara Falls.
I live in Niagara falls and there are thousands of out of province plates here at all times. I was in a line at a stop light the other day and there was not one Ontario plate in the line. Including myself I must add. My daughter gave me her old SUV and I drove it home from Saskatchewan and have yet to transfer the ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
AS an FYI. Here in the New Hampshire seacoast:

Spring: you start seeing Quebec plates then they start increasing with time as the weather gets warmer.

Summer: Once you see Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario you know summer is in full swing. You hear french daily when you visit the Maine shore towns and you see more and more men wearing capris pants (Que)

Fall: See spring. You'll see Quebec plates but it decreases as it gets colder.

Winter: The rare Quebec plate that you actually notice. Then you sigh and yearn for the days when you see more and more CN plates as by golly, thats a sure sign that summer is here.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
AS an FYI. Here in the New Hampshire seacoast:

Spring: you start seeing Quebec plates then they start increasing with time as the weather gets warmer.

Summer: Once you see Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario you know summer is in full swing. You hear french daily when you visit the Maine shore towns and you see more and more men wearing capris pants (Que)

Fall: See spring. You'll see Quebec plates but it decreases as it gets colder.

Winter: The rare Quebec plate that you actually notice. Then you sigh and yearn for the days when you see more and more CN plates as by golly, thats a sure sign that summer is here.
I think I may have posted this somewhere else at some point, but is it really a primarily Quebec thing for men to wear capris in the summer?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM

21 posts, read 30,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busch View Post
I've noticed that you almost never see out of province plates in Canada. At least not in BC and Ontario. In Toronto I literally did not see ANY plates from outside of Ontario except for plates from a few eastern US states and one from Quebec, and I spent more than a week there and probably saw thousands of plates in that whole time. In British Columbia I saw a few Alberta plates, maybe one or two SK and MB plates and one Ontario plate but that's it.

Here in the US you see out to state plates all the time, usually from neighboring states but often from the opposite side of the country. What gives? Do Canadians rarely visit or move to other provinces, or are they simply much more likely to fly or change their plates very quickly upon moving to a different province?
I drive a lot and I see Quebec plates at least once or twice a day. Alberta plates I see a few times a week. NS and NB every once and a while. BC maybe once every few weeks (which is crazy, considering the distance). I don't see Manitoba much. Never seen a Saskatchewan plate. US plates I see on a daily basis are Michigan and New York. The latter is especially easy to spot now with that hideous yellow plate. I don't know what they were thinking with that but it's a real eye sore.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
I drive a lot and I see Quebec plates at least once or twice a day. Alberta plates I see a few times a week. NS and NB every once and a while. BC maybe once every few weeks (which is crazy, considering the distance). I don't see Manitoba much. Never seen a Saskatchewan plate. US plates I see on a daily basis are Michigan and New York. The latter is especially easy to spot now with that hideous yellow plate. I don't know what they were thinking with that but it's a real eye sore.
That hideous yellow NY state is actually a throwback to old NY state plate of the 1970's-1980's,
I agree not the best, to me it looks almost orange, I've read that due lack of popularity, NY state vehicle owners can choose either the "normal" plate or the "yellow" plate.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Saw a Montana plate yesterday.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Minnesota: around the Twin Cities

I see Manitoba at least twice a week. Ontario about once every other week. The rest are pretty rare.
If you go to the Mall of America parking garages on a weekend you see more Ontario plates than any other state except for MN and WI.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Just saw a Tennesse plate lol.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 AM

65 posts, read 185,244 times
In Virginia near the Lynnhaven Mall in Virginia Beach around May-Aug, I sometimes see afew Quebec and Ontario plates, mostly more of Ontario plates though. Of course, the U.S. "out-of-states" plates also but, it's not surprising...considering that Virginia Beach is a tourist attraction. However, "out-of-provices" are more interesting, not sure why though. It's not something Virginia sees everyday.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think I may have posted this somewhere else at some point, but is it really a primarily Quebec thing for men to wear capris in the summer?
Wander around the summer towns of the Maine seacoast -- Ogunquit, Kennebunks, etc. and yes. A guy with capris pants is more than likely to be from Quebec.. even the locals have a laugh about it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada