Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 52,233 times

Advertisements

what is the best way to move to canada from america? where does one start, and what is needed? when visisting is it okay to stay in a hostel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:22 AM

469 posts, read 2,737,001 times
BUNAC will get you a work permit if you are aged 18-30 and a full-time student at the time you apply. The work permit is good for six months.

Obtaining Canadian citizenship is a little harder, but not impossible. If you happen to have a close relative who's a Canadian citizen, she or he could sponsor you. They can only sponsor you if you're their grandparent, parent, spouse, or a child, sibling, niece, nephew, or grandchild who is under 18 AND unmarried.

Canada might also allow you to immigrate under their Skilled Worker Points system. Basically you have to have so many 'points', 67 in fact, and you show you can financially support yourself, you can get a visa. It breaks down like this:

Education -- you can get a maximum of 25 points. For example, if you've got a Bachelor's degree that gets you 20 points.

Languages -- you can get a maximum of 24 points if you speak one or both of Canada's two official languages, English and French. If English is your first and only language, that's 16 points. If you speak basic French as well as fluent English, that's an additional 4-8 points. If you speak both fluently, that's 24 points.

Work Experience -- you can get a maximum of 21 points if you're in a profession on the Skilled Worker list. Points vary depending on how many years' experience you have.

Age -- you can get a maximum of 10 points if you're in the most desired age range, 21-49. You'll get 6 points if you're 19, 2 points if you're 53, etc.

Arranged Employment -- you can get a maximum of 10 points if you have an approved job offer in Canada.

Adaptibility -- this one's tricky, you get points based on whether you have family in Canada, whether you've studied or worked in Canada, etc.

In addition, you have to show you have enough funds to support yourself, $10,168 for a single person. You have to be in good health and have no criminal convictions. I'd have about 49 points -- not quite enough, but if I got a college degree and a job offer in Canada I'd probably have enough. I would recommend checking Canada's website on Citizenship and Immigration.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 PM

112 posts, read 615,875 times
Do non-students still obtain a temporary work visa? Or just get temporary citizenship via the Skilled Workers Program?

Anyone know how long the process might take to move from America to Canada? I will very likely qualify for the Skilled Workers Program (I got over 67 on an online quiz).

Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 26,903 times
I have two american national kids and i dont have american nationality.
Currently in america with multiple five year visa and wanted to move to canada what is the best way to accomplish this.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley m View Post
what is the best way to move to canada from america? where does one start, and what is needed? when visisting is it okay to stay in a hostel?
Start here Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Marry a Canadian.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 30,508 times
Could you come as a refugee? haha

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
Do non-students still obtain a temporary work visa? Or just get temporary citizenship via the Skilled Workers Program?

Anyone know how long the process might take to move from America to Canada? I will very likely qualify for the Skilled Workers Program (I got over 67 on an online quiz).
The process and timeline is well documented in the CIC website.

Ps there is no such thing as temporary citizenship, I'm assuming u mean permanent residency.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthorner View Post
Could you come as a refugee? haha
Sure you can, but you won't be staying long.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 12,880 times
I am an antiguan and want to migrate to canada with my four kids is that possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada