Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 52,412 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out cost of owning a car (insurance, regular maintenance etc. ) in canada , in montreal especially. Anyone have any comparison numbers ?

I own a car in USA and would like to know the comparable cost of owning and maintaining car in canada. Is it more expensive, less expensive or same ?

From various place, I came to know that most other utilities in canada are comparable to USA. Like cost of power, food, transportation, phone etc ... Is this true ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 AM

207 posts, read 748,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I am trying to find out cost of owning a car (insurance, regular maintenance etc. ) in canada , in montreal especially. Anyone have any comparison numbers ?

I own a car in USA and would like to know the comparable cost of owning and maintaining car in canada. Is it more expensive, less expensive or same ?

From various place, I came to know that most other utilities in canada are comparable to USA. Like cost of power, food, transportation, phone etc ... Is this true ? Thanks.
My cousin car Over 25 Yrs old, live outside Toronto:
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T purchased new = $33,000 tax in
Dealer Oil change = $65 + 14% tax
Dealer Tune-up = $450 + 14% tax
Insurance $500/$500 Deductable, 1 Mil Liability = $1650/year good record, no claim.

In USA a SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI LIMITED
Starting at $33,495*
In Canada a SUBARU Impreza WRX STI
Starting at $48,995*
Today Exchange Rate: 1 CND$ = .935 US$
I think it's a lot more expensive to own a car in CANADA, That's why I take public transport and Taxi cab.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 52,412 times
It does seem like that. For jetta, oil change at dealer would cost around $40 and insurance would be almost 1/2 in USA.

It almost sounds like a rip off ... thanks for the info ..

Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,478 times
Default Canada suks

Cars in Canada are very expensive almost a half more then you pay
Just now I'm doing the research how to import a Toyota Yaris from US to Canada\
The Canadian Government is very arrogant .
If I import The (brand new)Toyota Yaris from US it has to go for verification of it safety and we have to pay for it
The Vin number showing a first letter as J ,means car was made in Japan
The same models are sold in Canada also made in Japan.
By the way this goverment is talking about climate warming etc but can you find small cars on the market as in Europe
Bull****
I was trying to import a small car from Europe but no way ,its the canadaian law says -no ---------- Slavery
and bulding the fasion media about those huge tanks for fat people

Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM

50 posts, read 306,315 times
Default American Car

So can you bring an American car into Canada?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times
Yes you can bring an American car to Canada, you just have to have it inspected and what not.

I would not deem the cost of living as "higher" it is unfair to use exchange rates as these fluctuate hourly while buying power doesn't change as drastically. Until a few years ago the Canadian dollar was worth almost half of the U.S. Dollar. The Canadian dollar has appreciated greatly...while the U.S. dollar has depreciated at the same time.

If you're in Canada earning Canadian dollars, expect the same cost of living...living in a metropolitain city like Montreal you can expect it to be higher.

If you're coming from a low cost state in the South or mid-west it might be a bit higher..but it is all relative.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,406 times
Hey, Was thinking of moving to Canada myself in a few years time. I live in Ireland and we know about high car costs.

The government adds 21% VAT Tax and then up to 30% VRT Tax on top of that. Cars are a real rip off here. Name any car model and I'll tell you what it costs over here and I'll bet its more than you pay and by a lot.

Are canadian or american built cars cheaper? All cars are imported in Ireland.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times
American cars are cheaper than most of their foreign (japanese/german) counter parts, but are so due to the percieved low quality of American cars. BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have auto plants in the U.S. where they do build cars for the North American Market.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 50,752 times
Cars In Canada Is A Lot Expensive Than In The Us Try To Google It And You Will See The Comparison With The Same Model Canada Is About 20% More Than In The Us.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Everything in Canada is more expensive than in the USA except for cable TV and medical expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada