Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM

317 posts, read 412,233 times

Advertisements

I got back from a trip to Calgary recently and was surprised by the number of newer-looking homes that looked like a huge garage with a house hiding behind it.

What's up with this thing? Is this only a recent phenomenon or do Canadians like to enter their house through the garage door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
This is very common in the newer suburbs of quite a few American cities as well. Because of small lot sizes, they try and fit a double garage onto there, which leaves little room from a true façade.

That said, while you saw this 10-20 years ago, a lot of people starting recoiling at this look and so they have since become far less common.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I visit friends in Ottawa and in the east end (Orleans ) of the town they have thousands of houses just like this one, hideous, what was the architect thinking?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I visit friends in Ottawa and in the east end (Orleans ) of the town they have thousands of houses just like this one, hideous, what was the architect thinking?
That is exactly what I had in mind! I have friends who live in Orleans in houses like that as well.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
It's a hideous look which is why it's becoming less popular, but the reasons for the design are pragmatic. Because the garage is attached to the house, the house keeps the temperature in the garage above zero. Thus, when someone parks their car in the garage they can exit into a nice warm garage in the winter instead of the freezing cold. The can then leisurely procede into their house without having to worry about the elements or slipping on ice and hurting themselves, something especially useful if a family member is older and in danger of breaking a hip. What's more, keeping the garage warm means that when ones car is all caked in ice and snow, they can leave it in the garage over night and let it thaw out. In the long winters, this is really the only way to get rid of all that ice and packed in snow that accumulates over time under the car, in the wheels, and on other parts of the car, especially after an ice storm. It's also nice to have somewhere warm to work on the car if it needs repairs or a toon up of some sort.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM

People just don't want to give up their two-car garages. When you think it is typically 20-24 feet wide, and with the required spacing between detached houses, on a 35-foot wide lot (increasingly common for new houses in many Canadian cities) that doesn't leave much room to squeeze it in.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What's more, keeping the garage warm means that when ones car is all caked in ice and snow, they can leave it in the garage over night and let it thaw out. In the long winters, this is really the only way to get rid of all that ice and packed in snow that accumulates over time under the car, in the wheels, and on other parts of the car, especially after an ice storm..
Actually having your car thaw out every night is not a great idea as all that salty slush gets really active when its thawing.The people i know with houses like that keep their garages unheated,however its a definite bonus after a snow storm when you dont have to clean the car or dig it out from street parking.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Actually having your car thaw out every night is not a great idea as all that salty slush gets really active when its thawing.The people i know with houses like that keep their garages unheated,however its a definite bonus after a snow storm when you dont have to clean the car or dig it out from street parking.
Considering the benefits of a garage for people who choose to be motorists, but the obvious aesthetic horror show that is houses with that look, I think the obvious solution is to make more neighbourhoods with laneways. Why urban planning departments and subdivision builders ever stopped building that suburban form is beyond me.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Hideous as those houses look i sometimes wish i had one as street parking can sometimes be a pain as in the morning i;ll have to dig my little Toyota Echo out,usually with a few added feet of snow from passing plows.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
I hardly ever see this hideous design except in Canada. I think it is to save space. We have so much space in Canada, I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada