Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Well, has America does anything to intrude on Quebec's sovreignty?
Nothing much directly involving Quebec for a good while I'd say. But there is a "citizen of the world" streak that is very strong among the politically active in Quebec...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Well, has America does anything to intrude on Quebec's sovreignty?
Probably not on sovereignty per se but culturally America is here big time with all its chain stores,its technology, its media and tv shows in fact if you stood on any of Quebecs larger cities main st you'd be hard pressed to tell you were in Quebec until you realized every one spoke French
typical Quebec main st. in this case Tashereau blvd on Montreals south shore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...taschereau.jpg

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carols View Post
I posted a thread here a while back about Canada's strong anti-americanism. //www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ericanism.html. It wasn't to offend anybody but I had heard or read on the internet that many canadians felt that America deserved to be attacked because of its domestic policy, foreign policy or whatever. Anyway I figured I'd explore the topic a little further, especially the difference between Anglophones and Francophones.

At first I figured that francophones, because of the influence of France would be more anti-american than anglophones who have similiar culture to the United States. But on exploring the issue further it seems than anglophones may be more anti-american than francophones because the fear of getting "gobbled up" by the united states is stronger. Or perhaps the more likely option that both of them basically hate america equally.

So what are the differences in how anglophones and francophones relate to america? Like it, dislike it, hate it or whatever feelings they may have.
Actually in this regard I think that the vast majority of Canadians regardless of their national roots Hate Americans equally

Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM

408 posts, read 607,543 times
Very few grown-up Canadians are anti-American. In fact I'd say we're the most pro-American nation in the western world. We understand the circumstances that make the USA one of the most exciting and dynamic (albeit sometimes scary) places on earth. I think I speak for many Canadians when I say we'd be hard pressed to find a better neighbour.

Being said, most Canadians are revolted - or in the very least look down upon - American conservatism. Mostly in regards to social policies. I'd say red state politics make most Canadians' skin crawl. It seems like something of a scourge on the American people. All the by-products: poor race relations, ridiculous gun laws, questionable womens' rights, anti-science militants, hyper-evangelicalism of far-right America are sickening to most Canadians I know.

Being said, Canadians know better than anyone how socially discombobulated a federal state can be. We know Quebeckers and Albertans are nothing alike, but appreciate (most of us) the overarching cooperation that results from the desire to build together... and some like myself even relish the challenges that working together entails. So, the fervent bigotry we Canadians see within some U.S. states does little to dissuade us from liking the U.S.

On a personal note, I think the sharply contrasting philosophies found within America may contribute positively to it's growth. What I'm saying is there may be something magical that occurs when Bill Maher and Ann Coulter laugh off the differences.

Ultimately though, we're two countries with similar ambitions: to unite, and to dissolve the tribal barriers of humanity's past.

I think some of my fellow Canadians fail to recognize just how exceptional America is. They think the US and Canada face(faced) similar challenges. The fact is, Canada has never faced the challenge of having 20% of its population transition (racially distinguishable to boot!) from slavery to normalcy. Obviously this transition is going to be a bumpy road. Bumps include things like evangelicalism and the NRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada