Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times

Advertisements

Frequently I watch MSNBC's line-up of news shows like Rachel Maddow etc. And I watch CNN shows like Anderson Cooper.

I haven't found many Canadian news shows to watch. If they exist, I haven't found them. I'm wondering why we don't have the equivalent line-ups. Or is Canada just too boring?

Does anyone else watch these American shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
The national on CBC is a very good hour every evening.

I watch US news shows sometimes but I don't like them very much.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
I watch the National on CBC.

I could watch any American news show that I want, but in general, I don't. Too much hype on everything and usually, not enough real story.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
I don't enjoy American news shows, I find their tone consistently unnerving, and that includes Rachel Maddow's unfortunate predilection to sarcasm which I consider inappropriate for the news, and CNN is just painful these days.

I also, like the others, watch the National, but my absolute favourite is The Agenda with Steve Paikin which is on TV Ontario and that I usually watch via Youtube. The Fifth Estate investigative journalism is also really great, although it's been awhile since I watched so I'm not sure if it's still going. I also like the CBC radio news shows and their online content.

The only American news shows I watch are The Daily Show and The Colbert Report + the odd American news website. I also found Al Jazeera English really surprised me and it's turned out to be a fantastic channel for the most part.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Frequently I watch MSNBC's line-up of news shows like Rachel Maddow etc. And I watch CNN shows like Anderson Cooper.

I haven't found many Canadian news shows to watch. If they exist, I haven't found them. I'm wondering why we don't have the equivalent line-ups. Or is Canada just too boring?

Does anyone else watch these American shows?
That makes two of us watching MSNBC, my two favorites are Martin Bashir at 4pm and Ed Shultz at 8pm, i used to enjoy Glenn Beck before his show went to radio or some obscure tv channel i dont get but since he boarded the crazy train a few years ago he's just become very creepy, i also listen to Limbaugh if i'm in my car during the early afternoon but his viewpoints are so outlandish i doubt he'd get much Canadian audience, in fact i can only take his diatribe for about half an hour.
FOX we dont seem to get in the Montreal area or i'd watch that as well.
Canada i watch local and national news at 6pm but theres nothing much in the way of commentary to make it interesting,its just the news weather and sports.
Canada (Quebec anyway)doesnt really have anything to compare to these shows/channels as we just arent as rabid on political issues as the Americans are where their media have whipped politics into a 24/7 soap opera where whatever side of the political demographic you are on you have been conditioned to thoroughly hate and detest the other side,its really awesome to behold, you can get a taste/sampler of it down in the political section of this forum where many of the participants have gone totally insane. I'm down there often

Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,695 times
Quote:
......., you can get a taste/sampler of it down in the political section of this forum where many of the participants have gone totally insane. I'm down there often
You lost me.

I used to watch a bit of Anderson Cooper and Fareed Zakaria, but not anymore. Too time consuming. I can get more by reading up.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't enjoy American news shows, I find their tone consistently unnerving, and that includes Rachel Maddow's unfortunate predilection to sarcasm which I consider inappropriate for the news, and CNN is just painful these days.

I also, like the others, watch the National, but my absolute favourite is The Agenda with Steve Paikin which is on TV Ontario and that I usually watch via Youtube. The Fifth Estate investigative journalism is also really great, although it's been awhile since I watched so I'm not sure if it's still going. I also like the CBC radio news shows and their online content.

By and large I am of the same sentiment.

As someone who, both personally and professionally, is basically a lifelong student of the news media, the idea of Canadians thinking that their news programming is somehow subpar to that of the United States is nothing short of astonishing.

I do in fact watch a lot of American news programming, simply because I watch tons of news programming from around the world and much of it happens to be American. That said, it seems to me that when I watch American news channels or newscasts, unless there is a disaster or crisis taking place (such at the moment with Sandy), there is bloody little on U.S. "news" that one could really call "news".

Even CNN which used to be pretty good is now more often than not an "infotainment" and "lifestyle" type channel.

I guess some Canadians who have succumbed to the idea that news has to be "entertaining" might prefer this approach and find it more interesting to watch, but in the end, news isn't necessarily supposed to be entertaining, it's supposed to be informative and accurate.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
I know this question was posed to current Canadian residents but wanted to chime in.

What people are mistaking for "news" in the US is hardly what I would call news anymore. The majority of the programming on CNN, Fox and CNBC is opinion programming and they are hardly even attempting to hide it anymore.

Personally I watch Al Jazeera and BBC. The two commentators on CNN I do enjoy though are Fareed Zakaria and Soledad O'Brien.

As far as Canadian news programming is concerned it is definitely less sensationalized than the US, which in my opinion is quite refreshing. They cut through the hours of Bull**** and deal with the information people really need to know.

One department I do find they fall short though is their coverage of International news, especially when dealing with the Middle East. As someone who spends alot of time in the Middle East for work, I find a person like Fareed Zakaria, despite him being tied to CNN, alot more informed than any Canadian news commentator I have come across.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 11-02-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
One department I do find they fall short though is their coverage of International news, especially when dealing with the Middle East. As someone who spends alot of time in the Middle East for work, I find a person like Fareed Zakaria, despite him being tied to CNN, alot more informed than any Canadian news commentator I have come across.
And this is where the U.S. "excellence" comes into play once again. Since there are news organizations there who have big budgets, they are able to pay top dollar for international correspondents. So the best of the best in the U.S. are just that - the best.

It doesn't change the fact that much of the rest of American news leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times
I get most of my news from the Daily Show and Colbert.

I don't bother watching Canadian news. The only Canadian channel I can get here in Niagara is CTV and their news program is awful. CBC is better but the reception here usually doesn't come in. I use American satellite because the Canadian offerings are overpriced and have fewer channels.

Not sure why the Niagara region doesn't have its own TV channels. We have over 400,000 people but no TV channels. It's mind-boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada