Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I'm not trying to doubt your figure but i'd appreciate it if you could tell or show me the source you obtained it from?

Either way to my knowledge i have not heard of a situation where native born canadian doctors are struggling to find employment due to the number of "foreign trained" doctors. Frankly i'm not even sure what that term refers too? Doctors from only a handful of countries are allowed to practice in canada without undergoing a re-education and retraining in canada due to different medical standards.

I find it funny how in most other countries you hear non stop complaints of immigrants on welfare and hogging up to the lower waged jobs but we in canada somehow have a problem with our immigrants becoming doctors and high skilled workers?

Other countries would probably love to be in our situation if that is the case.

OECD iLibrary: Statistics / Health at a Glance / 2009 /

My point is that medical schools in Canada have hundreds of applicants apply for every opening. If there is a doctor shortage in Canada, why don't they increase medical school admissions and give more Canadians these positions instead of bringing in immigrants. I would say the same for all the other countries importing their doctors. Why are medical school admissions kept artificially low? Open the floodgates. Train more doctors. More doctors --- higher availability -- lower salaries.

I have no problem with an immigrant coming to Canada, and then training to become a doctor or learn another skill, because than the same opportunity is available to an existing Canadian. But to come here and take a high-paying job that a Canadian could have filled, when young people are clamouring to get into medical schools, that I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,317 times
Well your graph relates to my explanation. Those top represented countries are the "handful" of countries we allow doctors to come from without undergoing retraining.

I still don't find any proof that irish or australian or british doctors as per the graph are hogging up doctor positions here in canada.

Those specific immigrants groups there are as a whole are only a small % of canada's immigrants. Do you hear americans complaining about all the canadians docs who have gone down south? As i mentioned before the vast majority of immigrants to canada with medical backgrounds struggle to ever be employed in the medical fields in canada due to them having to redo their education and training. Which is why you actually have a lot of foreign doctors operating stores or driving taxis instead.

These arguments here are real stretches.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
My point is that medical schools in Canada have hundreds of applicants apply for every opening. If there is a doctor shortage in Canada, why don't they increase medical school admissions and give more Canadians these positions instead of bringing in immigrants. I would say the same for all the other countries importing their doctors. Why are medical school admissions kept artificially low? Open the floodgates. Train more doctors. More doctors --- higher availability -- lower salaries.
Do you have any evidence of a link between the % of foreign-trained doctors and health care expenditures? That graph you posted shows that Canada is right in the middle among OECD countries when it comes to foreign-trained doctors. I would conjecture that a significant chunk of those foreign-trained doctors are actually Canadians trained in the US.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:

OECD iLibrary: Statistics / Health at a Glance / 2009 /

I have no problem with an immigrant coming to Canada, and then training to become a doctor or learn another skill, because than the same opportunity is available to an existing Canadian. But to come here and take a high-paying job that a Canadian could have filled, when young people are clamouring to get into medical schools, that I don't understand.
The reason they don't expand the medical school intake isn't because there isn't a shortage, it's because the government is too cheap to pay for Medical Education. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars all told to train a physician, and the government would rather import already trained doctors to fill the gap then spend the money, simple as that.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM

There IS a shortage of doctors in Canada. Many of you have probably lived here for years, so you have established doctors and don't know what it's like to be a new patient. But I moved here a year ago. I had to wait several months after moving here just to get a family doctor, in the meanwhile I had to use the walk-in clinics. I had to wait 9 months to see a dermatologist. There IS a shortage. I had to use a special government service that helps you locate doctors in your area accepting new patients. A family member needed to wait nearly a year to get eye surgery. What are you guys talking about ?!!

"In 2006, the most recent year for which data is available, Canada’s physician-to-population ratio (age-adjusted) ranked 26th among 28 developed nations that maintain universal access health care. It’s not surprising then that some 6.6 per cent of Canadians reported being unable to find a family doctor in 2010. Canada’s physicians are unable to meet the demand for health care services because there are simply too few of them."

And that is universal healthcare only. I know Canadian ratios are far lower than American.

"The doctor shortage is getting worse in Ontario, where 1.1 million people are without a family doctor."

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/publi....aspx?id=17360

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...octor-shortage

Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Who said there wasn't a shortage? Not me. I said there was a shortage but the government was too cheap to pay for more medical school.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Who said there wasn't a shortage? Not me. I said there was a shortage but the government was too cheap to pay for more medical school.
OH, OK, I lost myself in the "The reason they don't expand the medical school intake isn't because there isn't a shortage, " ....

Also, apparently they have increased the number of graduates from Canadian medical schools, I know I saw that somewhere in one of the articles I was looked at tonight.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:

What if only a selected few choose to relocate there ...

http://www.nunavut-physicians.gov.nu.ca/march.pdf

http://www.nunavut-physicians.gov.nu.ca/february.pdf

http://www.nunavut-physicians.gov.nu.ca/january.pdf

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM

I think scholarships can be designed that are contingent on the graduate working in a designated location for a few years after graduation. I'd be surprised if they didn't already have medical school scholarships like this.

Like a friend of mine had medical school funding tied to the fact that he would have to work in rural Kansas for at least 5 years after graduating.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,317 times
Well you are going off into another subject that is apart from the immigration issue. The doctor shortages in canada have little to do with immigration.

Again i keep bringing this up but there would probably less shortages if there was a better way to stream line the system whereby skilled immigrants with medical backgrounds could find a more efficient way to practice in canada. Since there is no point in attracting skilled workers only to have them working in low skilled jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada