Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times

Advertisements

Although Canadians don't celebrate Thanksgiving, do they enjoy the foods associated with it (turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.)? God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
We do, just not on the same day. Canadian Thanksgiving is US Columbus Day. Otherwise it's the same, without the shopping.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
Even though I am a US citizen and have not been to Canada since I was 5 years old, and even though I have no Canadian friends or relatives, I feel quite confident in answering for all Canadians: Yes, they mostly like roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pies ..... although they don't feel as much urgency to have them all together at the same time ..... and there might be a little more hesitancy about trying some of the odd little side dishes.

Go run along now ......

Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
As was already pointed out, we do celebrate Thanksgiving and we have all the traditional Thanksgiving foods, including turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. The only thing I can think of that would be more common in the American Thanksgiving would be sweet potatoes. Although I'm fonder of duck than I am of turkey and so I made roast duck for our Thanksgiving dinner.

And we don't do the shopping thing. It's altogether a lower key, less important holiday here from what I've been told.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM

399 posts, read 705,019 times
AHHHH duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Canadians love Thanksgiving just as much as the American's do. Only thing is Canada's Thanksgiving is in October whereas the American Thanksgiving is in November.

We love Turkey, cranberries and the whole shebang! Thank goodness for another holiday too! :-)

Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
What do Quebeckers call those traditional Thanksgiving foods (i.e. what is the French word(s) for turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.)?

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 11-15-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
O f course Canada celebrates Thanksgiving. Families get together, one day at one place ,the other day at another place. Unfortunately too much eating. Turkey, potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce,pumpkin pie, apple pie, lot of wine and beer and a very merry time.We love it is in the first week of October, that way we can again indulge at Christmas time.No wonder all those New Year Resolutions always follow. LOL

Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What do Quebeckers call those traditional Thanksgiving foods (i.e. what is the French word(s) for turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.)?
Turkey = Dinde
Cranberry Sauce = sauce à la canneberge
Pumpkin Pie = tarte à la citrouille

Interesting article on the little differences between the two holidays.

Photo gallery quiz: Canadian vs. American Thanksgiving feasts - Slide 1 - Canadian Living

I'll note that Quebeckers traditions for Thanksgiving are identical to those of other Canadians, even the recipes for pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes (a Canadian misnomer, we cook yams on the Thanksgiving, people usually have never had actual sweet potatoes or know that they're not the same thing as yams). Yorkshire puddings with gravy on Thanksgiving is also a big deal in parts of English Canada and Sugar Pie is sometimes eaten in Eastern Canada.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Canadian Thanksgiving! Yum!

Roast turkey, glazed ham, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, yams, baked squash, brussels sprouts, candied carrots, cabbage rolls, yorkshire pudding, cranberries, apple pie, pumpkin pie, mincemeat tarts, ice cream and hot Bird's custard.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Turkey = Dinde
Cranberry Sauce = sauce à la canneberge
Pumpkin Pie = tarte à la citrouille

Interesting variant is that cranberries in Quebec French are often referred to by an aboriginal word: atoca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada