Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hey, why did you only stay there for 3 years? Did you like the south?
I lived in New Orleans for 3 years, and simply couldn't take another summer there.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong I love the South too but i've never lived in Canada or America so i cant really say whats good or bad, all i want is good weather (bad winters i can handle) low crime, good income and nice area in general.
Like I said, it depends on where you are.

I've given you what I feel are the "nicest areas in the US" (I'm sure others will disagree, but it's just my opinion).

Unfortunately, with just "visiting" places, you don't get the full vibe of them. It wasn't until this past fall, when I actually started going to Vancouver on a regular basis, that I was able to form my own true opinion about it. But, at least start with that much.

I applaud you for getting on forums like this to get input as well. But, GO to these places, and see for yourself. You can get impressions of them even in a couple of days. And, remember, like I said, no move is permanent.

Quote:
What do you think is better, Canada or the US?
I'm an American, and have no plans of living anyplace else in the near future. As far as which is "better"? I can't answer that question for anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:52 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Thanks for the response.

Im interested in areas such as

Canada

Regina, SK
Toronto, ON
Halifax, NS

USA

Phoenix, AZ
Denver, CO
Charlotte, NC
San Antonio - Austin - Houston, TX
Birmingham, AL
Atlanta, GA

I've seen alot of travel shows and they always featured Phoenix area, it looks really nice and its good that its a dry climate, just never been

Dont get me wrong i dont mind humid weather either coming from a cold country its a gift lol

I have friends in San Antonio and say its amazing there also.

I've been to Charlotte and its beautiful but im not sure what it would be like to live there.

The above list are the area's im really focusing on. Theres alot I know :S

Old 12-23-2007, 02:59 AM

Hey, does anyone have an opinion between Halifax, NS area. Toronto, ON area and Regina, SK area?

I am interested in these places and wonder which was better for quality of life.

Does Halifax get good summers like Toronto and Regina? Weather is really important to me as well as job prospects.

Kind regards.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
I'm Scottish, lived in Canada for 20 years, U.S. 9. IMHO, Canada is a fantastic country, people are friendly, government well run, health care is very good. The education system is top notch. Google "OECD PISA 2006" for results. As a Scot you'll fit in better and probably be quite happy.

You'll find quite a few Americans on this forum who slag Canada off but take their comments with a grain of salt. Many have an agenda, never lived there and have been systematically propagandized to for their entire lives.

I move back next year to Montreal (which has its own challenges) and still can't wait.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeliaD View Post
I'm Scottish, lived in Canada for 20 years, U.S. 9. IMHO, Canada is a fantastic country, people are friendly, government well run, health care is very good. The education system is top notch. Google "OECD PISA 2006" for results. As a Scot you'll fit in better and probably be quite happy.

You'll find quite a few Americans on this forum who slag Canada off but take their comments with a grain of salt. Many have an agenda, never lived there and have been systematically propagandized to for their entire lives.

I move back next year to Montreal (which has its own challenges) and still can't wait.

Good luck.

What are the pros and cons with comparing Canada to the US as I really like both countries, are they similar to live in or very different?

The thing im looking for is long hot summers, i dont mind a winter if i have to put up with it..I want to be safe too.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 04:53 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
Quote:
What are the pros and cons with comparing Canada to the US as I really like both countries, are they similar to live in or very different?
With the exception of the insane weather (hot and cold), there's not TOO much that's distinct between the countries.

Yes, from what I've seen and heard, it's "more laid back" than the US, but, again, it just depends on where you go.

(I'm actually chuckling now trying to envision my friends from BC in New Orleans....)

Seriously though, it all boils down to YOU going to these places, and finding out which one YOU like the best.

Personally, I don't think that you can go wrong in either country, so long as you find what you want and go for it. Your choices in the US are simply radically different than your choices in Canada. I hope you realize that...

Comparing Kelowna, BC to any of the places that you mentioned in the US is simple "apples to oranges". But, again, do yourself the biggest favor and see for yourself.

You have the opportunity to do it, so just do it. Your own impression of these places will be FAR more important than whatever someone on an internet chat board has to say about the "Canada vs US" issue.

Again, wishing you the best of luck.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:35 AM

The reason im asking is because I dont have the time or money to do that right now. I like both the US and Canada it would probably take me years to see the places i like.

We'll see what happens next year. I'd love to see Canada.

I've got friends in Canada and they tell me the quality of life is alot better there than it is in the US.

I just want to have a good income, nice house etc and be somewhere thats not full of crime that has lovely long hot summers, winters dont bother me all that much.

Cheers

Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
The reason im asking is because I dont have the time or money to do that right now. I like both the US and Canada it would probably take me years to see the places i like.

We'll see what happens next year. I'd love to see Canada.

I've got friends in Canada and they tell me the quality of life is alot better there than it is in the US.

I just want to have a good income, nice house etc and be somewhere thats not full of crime that has lovely long hot summers, winters dont bother me all that much.

Cheers
If after you move you have time and money to travel a few weeks out of the year, Canada is nice because we have more or less reasonable health care and flights to the southern U.S. are short; anywhere from 2-5 hours. Caribbean is 3-4 hours away, Mexico probably 4-7 hours depending on where you go.

No where in Canada in my mind can expect long hot summers.
Summers are normally still less than 4 continous months.
(once in 10 years we might get summer lasting up to 5 months, maybe 5.5 months)

*Even in July, ALL places in Canada can get a few dark, rainy and/or windy days, perhaps a full week, under 20 C unexpectedly. Also, just about all places in Canada can have chilly/cool summer years where it stays dark, rains with afternoon highs staying between 12-23 C for at least 70 days out of June, July and August.

8/10 or 9/10 years our summers resemble summer and are nice and warm, or hot (instead of yucky rainy springs) in southern Ontario.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:09 AM

16 posts, read 141,142 times
i say go for canada, although it has its fair share of problems, as any other country, its benefits top the usa. i mean, for example, in canada you have sky-high taxes, but you have free healthcare, and great schools. i personally think that the british system of education is more challenging than the us based one. secondly, there is generally less crime overall in canada (even in the big cities like toronto) than the usa. just do a google search of crime statistics, or even watch micheal moore's movie bowling for columbine. it is clearly obvious that the united states has a "gun culture" like none other. and last but not least, you probably experience better weather in the united states, but hey, why stay in the usa for the weather when you probably get shot and killed, and not even get to experience the weather.... canadians are less standofish and less violent. life is more valuable that "weather"

Old 12-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estudiante View Post
i say go for canada, although it has its fair share of problems, as any other country, its benefits top the usa. i mean, for example, in canada you have sky-high taxes, but you have free healthcare, and great schools. i personally think that the british system of education is more challenging than the us based one. secondly, there is generally less crime overall in canada (even in the big cities like toronto) than the usa. just do a google search of crime statistics, or even watch micheal moore's movie bowling for columbine. it is clearly obvious that the united states has a "gun culture" like none other. and last but not least, you probably experience better weather in the united states, but hey, why stay in the usa for the weather when you probably get shot and killed, and not even get to experience the weather.... canadians are less standofish and less violent. life is more valuable that "weather"
Good point, I see where your coming from.

Do you know which city out of the following is a good choice all round, (which really has the best summers)

Halifax, NS (heard it can be really warm there and its so unspoiled)

Toronto area (Hamilton, Oshawa, Brampton etc) Heard housing is mega expensive

Regina, SK Heard the summers there are long and dry, can be flat and have cold winters and alot of crime compared to Toronto.

Didn't really fancy the Calgary or Vancouver area because i've heard Vancouver is really rainy and Calgary is always cold.

Have a merry xmas everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada