Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 87,765 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I need some advice on this. I am looking to relocate to Canada, preferably Ontario, because I am getting weary of living in Pennsylvania and the United States as well because of my difficulty in getting certified in becoming a teacher. Currently, I work as a day to day substitute (a.k.a. occasional teacher) and hold two degrees ( Bachelors in Communications and a Masters in Elementary Education) plus working on another Masters in Professional Studies which is Education related. And even a long term sub position is hard to come by even without a permanent certification

I need to ask this:

1) Is the rumor true that there is a surplus of teachers looking for jobs in Canada or is just Ontario and British Columbia?

2) Are there any other provinces where the rumor isn't the case?

3) What other positions could I acquire if I can't teach K-12?

4) And finally what must I do to relocate to Canada?

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,052,156 times
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

The Teaching Profession

Internationally Educated Teachers | Ontario College of Teachers

A few resource links to browse through..

Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,428,309 times
The Province of Ontario has more qualified teachers than they need, and we are closing schools, in some areas, due to declining student populations. New grads are unable to find teaching positions ......UNLESS they are willing to sign up for a "hardship posting " in a FAR northern Aboriginal village, that is only accessible by aircraft. Think Hudson's Bay......

At this time the Ontario Teacher's Federation is in a face off with the Provincial Government, over wages and a threatened pay freeze. The OTF has told it's members to stop ALL after school sports, not to talk to Parents about kids progress, and to refuse to replace a teacher who is off due to illness, or injury. To say that labour relations are not good, would be an understatement.

I can't comment about other Provinces, but you really need to THINK about this idea, some more.

For some Americans, who have education and actual work skills, that are "In Demand in Canada " moving here is a great idea, and they can be approved for a work visa, in a relatively short period of time. BUT, in your case, I'm afraid that you would be making a negative move, if you want to continue to teach .

Do some more research.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,843,828 times
Try a different U.S. state. Also, not sure why you are having trouble getting your certifications in Pennsylvania, or why you think it'd be easier in Canada.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 PM

399 posts, read 703,148 times
What does it take for people to understand that if you are a US citizen, you just cannot up and move to Canada and vice versa? There are immigration laws to follow and to go through. You just don't go up there and start living like moving to another state. Do some research and you'll see it takes more than just packing up and going. Being a Canadian and an American Citizen, I had a lot of hoops to go through to have both citizenships. Not easy and definitely NOT cheap! Do it right and legal. The US and Canada does not need more illegal immigrants no matter where they come from.
Jambo101 gave you some good links to look up.
JMHO

Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM

47 posts, read 69,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBuddha View Post
Hello everyone,

I need some advice on this. I am looking to relocate to Canada, preferably Ontario, because I am getting weary of living in Pennsylvania and the United States as well because of my difficulty in getting certified in becoming a teacher. Currently, I work as a day to day substitute (a.k.a. occasional teacher) and hold two degrees ( Bachelors in Communications and a Masters in Elementary Education) plus working on another Masters in Professional Studies which is Education related. And even a long term sub position is hard to come by even without a permanent certification

I need to ask this:

1) Is the rumor true that there is a surplus of teachers looking for jobs in Canada or is just Ontario and British Columbia?

2) Are there any other provinces where the rumor isn't the case?

3) What other positions could I acquire if I can't teach K-12?

4) And finally what must I do to relocate to Canada?

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!
As for surplus in Ontario yes its true in terms of the public system i am not sure if its the same with the private system.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,359,420 times
If you come to Ontario, you get to go on strike every school year!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell030681 View Post
What does it take for people to understand that if you are a US citizen, you just cannot up and move to Canada and vice versa? There are immigration laws to follow and to go through. You just don't go up there and start living like moving to another state. Do some research and you'll see it takes more than just packing up and going. Being a Canadian and an American Citizen, I had a lot of hoops to go through to have both citizenships. Not easy and definitely NOT cheap! Do it right and legal. The US and Canada does not need more illegal immigrants no matter where they come from.
Jambo101 gave you some good links to look up.
JMHO
This part I am aware of. I am far from naive in moving from U.S. to Canada. I know that it takes money and time to make that a reality. And I will do it right.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Try a different U.S. state. Also, not sure why you are having trouble getting your certifications in Pennsylvania, or why you think it'd be easier in Canada.
Tarp the problem is that in order for me to get certified, in my personal case, I have to do student teaching which I can't afford to go a semester without income. Student teachers don't get paid. My only other option is become a long term substitute at the elementary level which is damn near non-existent thanks to President Bush's No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB). Nowadays most districts in Pennsylvania want teachers to be fully certified (highly qualified status) as oppose to someone like myself who only has an emergency certificate. And believe there is a surplus of them. Even the school district in my hometown of Philadelphia has a surplus of substitutes long term AND day to day. In previous years they have historically had shortages of teachers and now they have a surplus.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The Province of Ontario has more qualified teachers than they need, and we are closing schools, in some areas, due to declining student populations. New grads are unable to find teaching positions ......UNLESS they are willing to sign up for a "hardship posting " in a FAR northern Aboriginal village, that is only accessible by aircraft. Think Hudson's Bay......

At this time the Ontario Teacher's Federation is in a face off with the Provincial Government, over wages and a threatened pay freeze. The OTF has told it's members to stop ALL after school sports, not to talk to Parents about kids progress, and to refuse to replace a teacher who is off due to illness, or injury. To say that labour relations are not good, would be an understatement.

I can't comment about other Provinces, but you really need to THINK about this idea, some more.

For some Americans, who have education and actual work skills, that are "In Demand in Canada " moving here is a great idea, and they can be approved for a work visa, in a relatively short period of time. BUT, in your case, I'm afraid that you would be making a negative move, if you want to continue to teach .

Do some more research.

Jim B

Toronto.
Thanks for your feed back. I have to find out what is in demand and relevant to what I studied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada