Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM

218 posts, read 509,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Familiar cityscapes, streetscapes and landscapes that can fill in for most parts of the U.S.
Funnily, 1995 movie Rumble In The Bronx with Jackie Chan where action supposed to take place in NYC was filmed in Vancouver downtown and Spanish Banks beach, I believe, with freaking mountains in New York! That's familiar cityscape for sure!

Also funnily, I never noticed this major goof before though I've watched this movie several times.

Chevron station in Coal Harbor:

Cheap substitution for this, I guess:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Chevron station in Coal Harbor:

Cheap substitution for this, I guess:
Not saying one is better than the other, you can't substitute one for the other if you've lived in both cities and appreciate the difference. But moviegoers on the other side of the world won't really know it. Jackie once owned a house in Richmond but it was sold and is now a B&B. So I suspect there may be more scenes filmed here in the last 2 decades. In fact, there is one "Vancouver's winter" with international students as the theme.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 AM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Not saying one is better than the other, you can't substitute one for the other if you've lived in both cities and appreciate the difference. But moviegoers on the other side of the world won't really know it. Jackie once owned a house in Richmond but it was sold and is now a B&B. So I suspect there may be more scenes filmed here in the last 2 decades. In fact, there is one "Vancouver's winter" with international students as the theme.
I think it's also important to remember that there is a spring field quality to most movies these days.

Nobody wants to alienate any potential audience, so people typically avoid direct references to any one city.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
When you have 100+ networks and counting making shows for a hyperfragmented audience, dreck prevails!

After Mike Holmes, this American's favorite Canadians are those Newfies that go out and shoot at icebergs to dislodge chunks of ice for bottled water.

Question: Is iceberg water really worth all that trouble?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
After Mike Holmes, this American's favorite Canadians are those Newfies that go out and shoot at icebergs to dislodge chunks of ice for bottled water.

Question: Is iceberg water really worth all that trouble?
It is if you're selling it.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
The Hollywood liberal producers who contribute so heavily to the Democratic party don't extend that thinking to their own business.
Talk about outsourcing. They are only to happy to criticize other corporations and businesses for doing that but when it comes to them, they will take away money and working class jobs from southern California if it suits them so they can afford the $20 million payout to the star of the movie.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Canada’s federal government introduced the labour-based Production Services Tax Credit program in 1997.

*snip*

After the launch of Canada’s federal program, many provincial governments across Canada also introduced labour-based and spend-based tax incentive programs making Canada an even more attractive destination for foreign producers.
http://www.canadafilmcapital.com/Tax-Credit-Overview.aspx

Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Are any TV shows or movies actually filmed in wintertime up there?
Snow is actually a regular sight in the HGTV-type TV shows that are filmed in Toronto. Not really in Vancouver as snowy days are much more rare there.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
HGTV shows are Canadian shows that air in the US, opposed to American shows that are filmed in Canada which the OP is talking about ( I think)

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Are any TV shows or movies actually filmed in wintertime up there?
Thinking about this from the angle of fictional productions, and most Canadian productions made for Canada are set in the summertime. If I think of an English Canadian show like Flashpoint it seems it is always summer in Toronto and the cops are always in short sleeves. Quebec productions are the same - very predominantly shot and set in the summer.

Unless winter is part of the theme of the movie, like this classic from when I was a kid:

La guerre des tuques / The Dog who Stopped the War (Conte pour tous #1 / Tale for All #1) - YouTube

As for American stuff shot in Canada, well in some cases Hollywood actually comes to Canada for the snowy scenes, so you get some winter shooting.

I also noticed that Hollywood seems to have a lot more productions set in snowy landscapes, in New England and cities like Chicago and New York. More than made-for-Canada productions do.

Perhaps it is that Canadians want to forget about winter and would find a lot Canadian films or TV shows filmed in winter too cliché.

For Americans, the snowy setting is often used to set up a contrast with warmer places like California or Florida at another point in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada