Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How does "Trudeau fils" measure up to "Trudeau pere"?

BTW, jambo, you need to remember you're Canadian and need to spell like one!
Not very well, fortunately. Much as I disliked his father and his politics, he was nobody's fool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the issue at hand, we've made it fairly clear that we're a staunch supporter of Israel. I think the general feeling is that to back away now would give the impression that we're fairweather allies.

I honestly think it would be best for Israel to recognize an independent Palestine in the West Bank and/or Gaza, with the understanding that any further rocket or suicide attacks would be an act of war and dealt with as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
I don't understand why the Harper government has the views it does on Israel, the people of this country do seem to largely support Israel's right to exist, but I know few who are against the Palestinians at least having a non-member seat at the UN, he's really against the grain of public opinion on this one. I don't understand the lobbying and forces going on behind the scenes to make them behave in this way, but I don't like it, they're pissing off the rest of the world for a cause that doesn't seem to do our country much benefit and are squandering political capital we could use to further our nation's interests abroad. Mark me down as confused and unimpressed.

As for Trudeau junior, he seems like an okay guy and a great MP for the people of his riding who truly works hard for their votes. I approve of many of his views, but I do not think he's got what it takes to be Prime Minister. It's going to take more than beating Senator Brazeau in that boxing match and saying all the right things to get my vote for Liberal leader, and so far it doesn't seem to me he's got the mettle. Maybe in a decade or so, with more experience and political accomplishments under his belt. Me, i'm voting for Marc Garneau, an eminently accomplished citizen Canadians from across the political spectrum can respect, a man who'd make an excellent prime minister. Definitely more qualified than weasley Mr. Harper. Marc Garneau was an Astronaut, a Captain in the navy, he has a Ph.D in engineering from a top university in London, ran the whole Canadian space agency, was a Chancelor of Carleton University, and has served as an MP with honour, his constituents having told me he treats them with respect and really has an honest discussion with anyone who wants to debate the issues. An accomplished, smart guy with leadership experience. So far, he's looking pretty good to me and I think i'll choose him over Trudeau Junior, who seems to have a touch too much of his father's arrogance, but not quite enough of his steel (I don't think he's a weak man, however, just haven't seen he's strong or smart enough yet). The guy's a bit more Maggie than he is Pierre.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't understand why the Harper government has the views it does on Israel, the people of this country do seem to largely support Israel's right to exist, but I know few who are against the Palestinians at least having a non-member seat at the UN, he's really against the grain of public opinion on this one. I don't understand the lobbying and forces going on behind the scenes to make them behave in this way, but I don't like it, they're pissing off the rest of the world for a cause that doesn't seem to do our country much benefit and are squandering political capital we could use to further our nation's interests abroad. Mark me down as confused and unimpressed.
I've been doing a bit of digging, and the only elaboration I've seen is that excluding Israel from the Palestinian statehood process will undermine future diplomacy between the two sides and make a lasting peace more difficult.

Quote:
The guy's a bit more Maggie than he is Pierre.
That part strikes me as very true. I think given a bit of time, the shine will wear off him. Garneau would make a much more formidable opponent for Harper.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
Jambo101, Here you go, a post a few of years ago by a Canadian,

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post27010293

"Israel*just topped the charts as the most hated country ever.*

"
Odd that you would link to one of your previous posts.. and if one Canadian hates Israel then by your logic all Canadians hate Israel?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM

447 posts, read 495,903 times
I guess your understanding may has some issue. The post I quoted above is the reaction that person had to the news report for BBC poll. Actually it wasn't just single poll, but number of polls over a few of years. Please spend time to google Internet , instead of studying my profile. To argue with my posts, not my profile, that way you would show your rationality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Odd that you would link to one of your previous posts.. and if one Canadian hates Israel then by your logic all Canadians hate Israel?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
I guess your understanding may has some issue. The post I quoted above is the reaction that person had to the news report for BBC poll. Actually it wasn't just single poll, but number of polls over a few of years. Please spend time to google Internet , instead of studying my profile. To argue with my posts, not my profile, that way you would show your rationality.
Do you think the Palestinians and neighboring Arab nations will ever compromise their view that Israel has no right to exist,some going as far as calling for the total eradication of Israel, if you feel the need to sympathize with these Muslim brotherhood countries instead of our allies its your choice. .?
As for studying the plight of the conflicts happening in that part of the world i'll leave that to you as i really have better things to occupy my time with than whats going on in the Middle East or the many other conflicts going on around the globe...

Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:

"Rationality" now there's a word you don't see in the same discussion as the word Israel very often.

Perhaps it's irrational of those nasty jews to fire weapons back at the terrorists who set up their morter shots from beside schools and apartment buildings but of course those rag head, azzhat, stupid, retarded, folk who teach their kids to glorify war and parade them around holding AK47's are the rational ones. There was that rational enough for you?

I suspect your usage of the word rational is as skewed as your optics of Israel vs Hamas vs Hezbolla vs..... any number of org's before them and you'll notice I did NOT use Palestine to describe any of those entities using the cloak of statehood to foment anti-jewish agendas.

Arafat's widow a mulitmillionare, Abbas pulling down 12 million a year. You want rational; how's about questioning why any one of those fools would want an end to the violence and confrontation when they're obviously in it for the money and the idiots they're leading aren't smart enough to figure that out for themselves.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM

447 posts, read 495,903 times
My Canaian friends jambo101 and brusan, I am very much looking into discussing general Israel issue with you, say, in a special thread //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...terrorism.html, but not here. Here I am just curious why Canadian government behaved as it was recently. If you have some insight, I really like to know. Thank you.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Our cultures and economies are so intertwined with similarities we'll always be Americas little brother,or the neighbors who live in the apartment next door, trying to get Canada independent from the USA is just not possible in these days of globalism,sure i agree it would be a nice concept but just not feasible,we're stuck with it.,its the way it is.
That said i would say Canada is as mature and dignified a country can be given its circumstances..

Maybe you could give some examples of how Canada can become more independent from our neighbor to the south without incurring grave financial consequences..
That about sums up the relationship of China PRC and North Korea.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is no secrete that Ottawa's foreign policy is mostly dictated in Washington DC.
Remember two months ago Ottawa banned Huawei the second day Washington did? Canada can't wait to show loyalty to its master, which is extremely frustrating to me, particularly when economically Canada is trying to lessen its ridiculous dependence on the US.
That is completely wrong. Canada decides where it's interests lay and acts accordingly.

There are just so many examples where Canadian foreign policy is opposite that of the USA.

Cuba is just one big glaring example. We have never had a the kind of anti Cuba hysteria the USA has had.

Did you see Canada joining in the fight in Iraq??? We were pretty much 100% opposed.

Vietnam??? 200% opposed.

WE got sucked into Afghanistan because we are a NATO member but many Canadians think it was a very foolish policy.

Canada has always been very supportive of Israel. After all it's the only democracy in the entire region.
They have been attacked over and over again by a foe that to me anyway is just insane with hate.
The Palastinians have been badly used as pawns for over 50 years by extremist Islamists.

Just consider. Germany lost huge areas of Germany to Poland after WW2. Areas that had been German forever pretty much. Tell me, why is there not refugee camps of a couple of million Germans sitting on the Polish border after all these years??? How long did it take a destroyed Germany to take in all the German refugees and integrate them into Germany? Not very freakin long at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada