Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM

297 posts, read 472,634 times

Advertisements

Coming from America to study Law or Political Science like mentioned before so know go ahead and introduce me to the nation that is Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Geez dude, kind of a broad subject don't cha think? What do you already know about Canada, maybe we can fill in the gaps? Are you familiar with our country's history? There's a bunch of threads on this forum started by Mouldy Old Schmo and Chris Balducci that look to explore aspects of Canada and Canadian culture from an outsiders perspective, you could look some up. What would you like to know about Canada?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM

I looked into the history of Canada. I am wondering though what makings Canada different besides the style of government from America now that the Obamacare bill is around and almost every stat has legalized gay marriage and Weed is becoming to be less illegal?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
I looked into the history of Canada. I am wondering though what makings Canada different besides the style of government from America now that the Obamacare bill is around and almost every stat has legalized gay marriage and Weed is becoming to be less illegal?
Everything? It's a different country. It's different. There's more to the atmosphere of a country besides weed and health care. Your question is too broad.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Well then if it is different what makes it different?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I looked into the history of Canada. I am wondering though what makings Canada different from America now that the Obamacare build is around and almost everyone legalizes gay marriage and Weed is becoming to be less illegal?
Plenty. Canada does not equal "America if run by the Democrats", and anyways, Obamacare is nothing like our healthcare system. I'm hoping someone else will be able to come and fill out that idea for you as I'm in a bit too much of a hurry today to flesh everything out. Canada is a largely regionalised country with very distinct provinces, and there are often interprovincial tensions. These provinces all seem to have very strong senses of identity, although there is a common Canadian-ness across the provinces that comes of the shared history of being bound together in this federation for centuries. Ontario, as the historical core that held the whole thing together and as the province with the capital in it, seems to identify most strongly with the federation as a whole and has the weakest sense of provincial identity. Just quickly, here are some of the differences between Canada and the USA:

- 25% of our country is composed of mother tongue French Speakers and French Canadian culture has impacted the national political and cultural life.
- We don't have the strong and influential African American culture that so influenced the development and culture of the United States, and are a different place due to this difference of history (although we did have a tiny African Canadian minority).
- The English Canadian sense of identity until the latter half of the twentieth century was largely as citizens of the British Empire, and French Canadians sense of identity was most strongly associated with being Catholic, everything else secondary. With the fall of the British Empire combined with the nascent growth of a Canadian identity in English Canada and the Quiet revolution in Quebec, Canada entered a wild identity crisis, trying to discover what this country was supposed to be about, who we were, why we should exist, and what we wanted to be in the world. Canada is still in this turbulent social period, with Quebec sovereignty unresolved, our greater mission in the world vague, how multi-culturalism, a citizen of the world sort of social endeavour and search for meaning, is going to turn out. We don't yet know what Canada is or what it should be, but it's fascinating to see how things are going to go down. Even our constitution is as yet, an unresolved compromise of a document from 1980 that we've tried twice unsuccessfully to reconcile. I think we'll need another generation to really figure things out and find ourselves as a nation.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Okay well thanks for that I guess but didn't Stephen Harper say
Quote:
Quebec is a Nation within a Nation
so doesn't that in a way sort of solve the Quebec sovereignty?

As an East Indian American, I can understand why their are alot of Indians in BC near Vancouver and Victoria. I don't understand at all why their are Indians though in Alberta or Ontario does it have to do with their jobs moving them or what?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Okay well thanks for that I guess but didn't Stephen Harper say so doesn't that in a way sort of solve the Quebec sovereignty?

As an East Indian American, I can understand why their are alot of Indians in BC near Vancouver and Victoria. I don't understand at all why their are Indians though in Alberta or Ontario does it have to do with their jobs moving them or what?
No, they immigrated there from India, to settle and work. Why do YOU think Indians live in BC? It's largely for the same reason we live in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia etc. (I too am of Indian descent).

Also, no, Harper saying Quebec is a nation within Canada does not solve the Quebec nationalism issues because saying that did not grant Quebec any powers or anything, they were just words. Quebec nationalism is an existential conflict on the nature of society, rooted in and old ethno-linguistic (historically also class + religious) conflict between Anglo and Franco Quebecois, and propagated by provincial politicians who wanted more powers for themselves. The comment did little.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Well its just like why I think Indians live in California its closer to Asia while Quebec along with being farther away from Asia and closer to europe also has the language issue and Nova Scotia/Ontario are closer to Europe. As for Alberta it at least makes sense cause its on the West Coast. Also thanks for clearing up the Harper stuff.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well its just like why I think Indians live in California its closer to Asia while Quebec along with being farther away from Asia and closer to europe also has the language issue and Nova Scotia/Ontario are closer to Europe. As for Alberta it at least makes sense cause its on the West Coast. Also thanks for clearing up the Harper stuff.
Indians moved to Vancouver a long time ago because it was closer, but most Indians in Canada live in Ontario because it's the biggest province and had the most opportunities in cities like Toronto. Immigrants also like to move to big cities, same reason my grandparents settled in Montreal, because it was the biggest city in Canada at the time. And Indians do move to Quebec even now, the population in Montreal has exploded in my life time. They move to Alberta not because it's close to India, but because it has good jobs. That's a fairly recent phenomenon to, in the 80's when my uncle used to work on the oil patch, people would ask him what tribe he was form when he said he was Indian, the country of India never even crossed their minds there were so few of us.

Anyways, here's a good resource for learning about Canada:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...Page&Params=A1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada