Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 8,517 times

Advertisements

Saw this downtown Toronto on the way to work. Newest campaign from Jack Layton's "White Ribbon" organization.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
This is b.s... they are trying to trick men into falling for feminist nonsense. "Violence against women"... give me a break. There are plenty of organizations already helping women deal with that situation. Women need to take responsibility for themselves - choose a loser/jerk for your boyfriend/husband and that's what you get. Next time maybe you'll give the nice guy a chance instead.

How about an organization that fights for men who have been beaten by their wives - a situation that is way more common than you think but people are WAY more hush-hush about since it's not "cool" for a man to admit he is a victim.

I'm tired of this feminist nonsense.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Public Health Agency of Canada:

"According to [the 1999 GSS], almost equal proportions of men and women (7% and 8% respectively) had been the victims of intimate partner physical and psychological abuse (18% and 19% respectively). These findings were consistent with several earlier studies which reported equal rates of abuse by women and men in intimate relationships."

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 PM

161 posts, read 520,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
This is b.s... they are trying to trick men into falling for feminist nonsense. "Violence against women"... give me a break. There are plenty of organizations already helping women deal with that situation. Women need to take responsibility for themselves - choose a loser/jerk for your boyfriend/husband and that's what you get. Next time maybe you'll give the nice guy a chance instead.

How about an organization that fights for men who have been beaten by their wives - a situation that is way more common than you think but people are WAY more hush-hush about since it's not "cool" for a man to admit he is a victim.

I'm tired of this feminist nonsense.
It seems to me that a benefit of adopting this supposedly "new code"--one which most of my friends, of both genders, appear to live by already, is that men will feel more comfortable discussing the kind of victimization you address. So I'm confused--do you or don't you want to live in a city in which it's "cool" for a man to admit to being a victim?

And what's up with the double standard? Men can be victims but women cause all their own problems by picking the wrong men? Give me a break.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM

218 posts, read 510,021 times
Canada is a country that's known for "violence against women" and needs new multiple creative forms awareness and social engineering? I'm for nearly a decade here and Canada is one of the latest countries on Earth to be known for poor women rights and violence against women. In fact, in Canada, especially in places like Toronto, women are even more relatively powerful than in perhaps the whole of the US, I'm not even talking about Europe and ROTW.

What I'm really worried is what's becoming of Canada's men, their loss of character and their sperm count.

Last edited by TheTourist; 12-11-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Public Health Agency of Canada:

"According to [the 1999 GSS], almost equal proportions of men and women (7% and 8% respectively) had been the victims of intimate partner physical and psychological abuse (18% and 19% respectively). These findings were consistent with several earlier studies which reported equal rates of abuse by women and men in intimate relationships."
I don't know where you are getting your data, but according to Stats Canada:

" In 2010, women were more vulnerable than men to intimate partner violence, with a rate of intimate partner violence nearly four times higher than that for men (574 per 100,000 versus 147 per 100,000) "

Section 2: Violence against intimate partners

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 AM

254 posts, read 316,283 times
It sure is time for the traditional "masculinity" to go away.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM

7 posts, read 8,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
I think that's all this campaign is getting at.

Thank you.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
What, exactly, is "traditional masculinity"?

There's an interesting write up on masculinity and honor here (there's six or so parts to it, covering quite a broad range of places and eras).

Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada