Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Well, the US has done the job. UK being one of the minions of the US, of course doesn't get to tell what Canada, America's closest neighbour, should do.
Agreed. That's why I said "rightly or wrongly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Oh shove it, you don't know me. I'm full aware of what a barbaric and horrible institution the British Empire was, my grandparents are Indians and were Ghandists who participated in the independence struggle. I know all about the awful legacy of the British Empire in this world, but am also realistic about where it got things right compared to the actions of some of the other European colonial empires of the time. My comment was that we don't have beef with Britain because they play a largely positive role in the world, an ahistorical term. The empire's been dead for ages now and the UK engages with the whole world and is a law abiding, regular country in the community of earth's nations, thus we aren't upset with them in Canada. They produce innovation the whole world uses, doesn't exploit third world immigrant labour like the UAE does, they give foreign aid, and they educate tons of the world's scholars, skills those people bring back to their countries. They have understandable and not totally out to lunch foreign policies and aren't an outrageous group so yeah, Canadians aren't generally angry at the modern UK. History is irrelevant, as are musings about what would be if the situation was different.
It is still because the UK didn't do anything to your own country, so you can forget about its history and only focus on its role at present. If you were born and raised in a different country which has been ravaged by the UK, you would have a different view towards "its role in the world".

A criminal usually has to compensate for the damage it caused before being given a second chance and treated as a regular person again. Funnily the UK didn't seem to have made any amends to those countries it used to bully and plunder. It is still displaying all those trophies it plundered 200 years ago in the British Museum. It didn't repay anything to the countries it used to rob. Just because you are unable to do evil things doesn't mean others can't judge your infamous history.

The UK will always be judged in light of its entire history, not on a post WII basis.

It is even more ironic that countries like Iran and North Korea haven't invaded a single country, or robbed any neighbour in the past 100 years, yet they are considered threats to the world, while the UK, after invading so many countries and caused so much pain, is considered to "play a positive role in the world".

I guess this whole thing is about perspective, rather than objectivity.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
I don't like commonwealth.
You need to more define what it is about commonwealth that you think maybe a problem as no one i know gives it much thought.. What mental picture enters your mind when thinking commonwealth?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
It is still because the UK didn't do anything to your own country, so you can forget about its history and only focus on its role at present. If you were born and raised in a different country which has been ravaged by the UK, you would have a different view towards "its role in the world".

A criminal usually has to compensate for the damage it caused before being given a second chance and treated as a regular person again. Funnily the UK didn't seem to have made any amends to those countries it used to bully and plunder. It is still displaying all those trophies it plundered 200 years ago in the British Museum. It didn't repay anything to the countries it used to rob. Just because you are unable to do evil things doesn't mean others can't judge your infamous history.

The UK will always be judged in light of its entire history, not on a post WII basis.

It is even more ironic that countries like Iran and North Korea haven't invaded a single country, or robbed any neighbour in the past 100 years, yet they are considered threats to the world, while the UK, after invading so many countries and caused so much pain, is considered to "play a positive role in the world".

I guess this whole thing is about perspective, rather than objectivity.
Yep; it is all about perspective and objectivity. From past posts regarding your perspectives and your lack of objectivity; the only offering I can make for your consideration is to just once "put a sock in it".

Iran and N.Korea never invading, plundering or robbing their neighbours is about the most idiotic thing anyone has ever posted on these boards.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
A succinct summation, BB. It would be so boring if you were destined to dispense medications eventually.

Having said that, the British Empire has had a huge impact on the world, and its effects were enormous.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Most Australians would still vote for a Republic, as long as it wasn't too close to the American model lol.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Canadians are strange members of the Commonwealth, unlike other Commonwealth countries the do not play any cricket or rugby union to any great level.
Are Canadians more like Aussies or Americans ?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Just curious. Are there any Canadian or other Citizens of Commonwealth countries that dislike britain and/or their royalty? Not so sure about Canada, but I'm pretty sure OZ and NZ are pretty loyal to britain and the british crown. I'm interested to know Canadian's and other Commonwealth citizens take on this. Also because I hope to immigrate to Canada eventually from the states, but I don't like commonwealth.
There is not that much loyalty to the crown in Australia, the big trouble is we have to change our constitution and system of government in order to get rid of it.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-13-2012 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 AM

230 posts, read 526,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
There is not that much loyalty to the crown in Australia, the big trouble is we have to change our constitution and system of government in order to get rid of it.
That's good news to hear that OZ has more of a problem with the british crown than anyone else. Perhaps I should aim to immigrate there instead.

Well Ozzies voted to become a republic back in 97, and it failed. Most Aussies voted to stay in british commonwealth. Perhaps they should vote on it again or maybe Parliament down there can just take steps to become a republic.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 AM

230 posts, read 526,073 times
Quote:
The role is largely positive? If you look at history, the country called the UK probably has done more damage and left more harm to the rest of the world, especially developing countries, than anyone else. It is no less aggressive than the US whatsoever. It invaded, colonized and carved numerous countries as it felt like to, in Asia, middle east and Africa. So many countries remain separated till today thanks to the UK. I guess for Canadians, those countries simply don't count and their sufferings are meaningless as long as it doesn't affect the well-being of Canada. So let's stop pretending it is some sort of peace seeking country which generally had a positive influence on the globe. Canadians take its history lightly only because, well, the two countries have the same roots and the UK did little harm to Canada itself.

In determining UK's role in international affairs, you can't simply avoid talking about its aggressive history elsewhere. And in judging its role, you can't simply view it from the perspective of Canada, or the West. You have to view it objectively as if you yourself don't have a nationality.

Now the UK is facing the possibility of its own breaking-up, and probably it will realize the pain it has repeatedly imposed on other nations a century ago.

Nowadays it becomes a lower profiled country only because it has been declining in relative strength, not because it suddenly becomes a peace seeking country. Plus, it is not like the UK is not actively meddling other nations' business any more (under various nice excuses of course).

the role their country plays in the world is largely positive. ? When you talk about the "world", you mean western countries, right?
I'm really glad someone bought this up. These are excellent points. When I said I don't like commonwealth, I meant I don't like the british commonwealth, and the fact that so many countries are loyal to britain after they've done so much harm to many countries.

This is why I think most if not all countries in the british commonwealth should leave their commonwealth. The uk has done a lot of harm and colonialism to the world. And most of the world doesn't give them near as much crap as they give the u.s. But historically britain is actually worse.

I think Canada would be better and closer to perfection if it were not linked with the uk. The reason they stay in british commonwealth is because they people in power in Canada have mostly british roots. But Canada is a diverse country and many of its citizens now don't have british heritage, so I'm sure they don't feel any loyalty to britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada