Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Wrong century, wrong continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
wow, such type of women are really nice!

Yes, i meant both- facial features and as well their dresscode.
These are generalizations but one can say that French Canadian women dress in more revealing and also tigher clothes, and maybe even "sexier". They also dress more in this way at older ages than English Canadian women do.

As for facial features, I will try to find some typical looks but it's quite difficult as the populations are quite mixed in Canada with many French Canadians have anglo blood and English Canadians having franco blood. And of course both groups have people of other origins mixed in with them as well.

Generally, English Canadians in addition to the obvious roots in the British Isles, have more Germanic and Scandinavian origins mixed in with them.

French Canadians aside from French would have as the most common origins mixed in aboriginal (native) and Irish probably.

So you can find freckle-faced red-headed French Canadians who kind of look Irish.

And because of the aboriginal blood many other French Canadians have a slightly darker skin that's almost Mediterranean in some cases. My wife and kids are like this for example.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Do French Canadians have an extra nipple? Lets be sensible for a moment, French Canadians ARE not all identical when it comes to genetics and neither are Anglo Canadians! The answer is there is no particular difference because NO 2 Canadians are the same.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Do French Canadians have an extra nipple? Lets be sensible for a moment, French Canadians ARE not all identical when it comes to genetics and neither are Anglo Canadians! The answer is there is no particular difference because NO 2 Canadians are the same.
Of course, and I acknowledged that in my post above. But certain "looks" are far more common in either group.

Relatively few French Canadians look like this. Though obviously you can find one, but this is still a pretty anglo look:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1...._960/image.jpg

Likewise, relatively few English Canadians look like this:

http://www.speedskating.ca/sites/spe...?itok=P9LIh9yB

Old 07-02-2015, 10:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I think French and English Canadians look and dress the same and any one would be hard pressed under normal circumstances to label a person English or French just by looking at them.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not all French Canadians are Montrealers, there are other cities in Quebec and there are rural areas and their fashions differ somewhat. There is something to the notion that French Canadian women put in a bit more effort on average into their appearance, I would say.

As for Jambo, I gotta disagree that there's no difference, although you might not see it because we are Anglo Montrealers and English people here are culturally influenced by other Quebeckers and so we don't see a big difference between Anglophone and Francophone women in our city (although there's still a little bit of a difference). Women from the ROC are different, however. Less comfortable when it comes to the topic of sexuality. Less laid back. I mean, there are cultural tendancies but it's not super easy to quantify them into broad strokes and categories.

French Canadians are also pretty different from people from France, just in general. They're rather distinct cultures, somewhat like the difference between people in England and New England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agree with this.

A few other points:

Even outside Montreal in smaller cities and towns there is a difference in the way people dress, and if you go to a restaurant for Sunday brunch or Saturday night dinner you will find a higher percentage of people dressed smartly (not always suits, but at least dress pants and shoes on men for example) than elsewhere on the continent.

When it comes to Montreal, I find a lot of the anglo women there are affected by the francophone environment by osmosis and there is not a huge difference in the way they dress. Women who are seen in Montreal who dress like the bad stereotypes some have of North American women would usually be labelled as tourists by the locals (rightly or wrongly).

Similarly, with few exceptions most francophones outside Quebec don't generally dress like people in Montreal or in Quebec and it's hard to pick out Franco-Ontarians in Sudbury or Timmins from local anglos.

The one true exception in Canada is Ottawa-Gatineau where you have large areas of relatively typical Québécois and relatively typical Ontarioan environments in the same metro. So I can sit in the Rideau Centre in downtown Ottawa and easily spot francophones and anglophones by the way they dress. Not everyone of course - a majority of people are dressed neutrally, but good chunks do wear stuff only anglophones or only francophones would wear.
I agree with both of you. When I moved to Montreal as a teenager, I was amazed at how stylish my peers in high school were in comparison to my peers in Southern Ontario, where I came from. Women AND men in Montreal are among the best-dressed in North America, bar none. And, yes, even in smaller cities and towns elsewhere in Quebec, one simply doesn't see as many sloppy looking people as one typically sees in comparable places in the ROC or the US.

When we lived there, my dad used to say that the difference between Montreal women and women elsewhere in NA is that women in Montreal are more likely to live in apartments and to spend their time and money on something that makes them look good, be it an article of clothing, skincare, careful grooming habits, etc. I remember hearing somewhere a long time ago, that women in Montreal spend more money on lingerie than do women anywhere else in NA. I have no idea if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

And I agree that there is a Montréal effect, if you will, or a Québec effect, which raises the bar in terms of maintaining a good physical appearance. In Montreal, and in Quebec generally, there's more of an expectation to dress smartly, as AJ says, and to look good. And I think people there are more physically active, too, doing lots of walking and riding bikes as means of transportation. Without question, my years in Montreal permanently influenced me. I've always taken care of myself and tried to look well put-together, even when I mostly wore casual clothing as a SAHM (and I say that as someone who despises shopping for clothes). I have my Montreal sisters, largely, to thank for that.

I'll add that everything I've said here about Montreal (Quebec) women applies to men, as well. Men in Montreal (Quebec), relatively speaking, are a breath of fresh air!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:36 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think French and English Canadians look and dress the same and any one would be hard pressed under normal circumstances to label a person English or French just by looking at them.
Absolutely not. I worked in retail in my student years, in a Montreal area about 1/3 English-speaking, 2/3 French-speaking: my colleagues and I were quite good at telling if a person arriving at the cash register would speak French or English, before they even opened their mouth.

If the person looked like a French-speaking person, we would say "Bonjour". If the person looked like an English speaker, we would say "Bonjour / Hi". I'd say we were successful at identifying the language the person would speak about 80%-90% of the time.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Thats quite a talent you have there begratto, i've been living in Mtl for 40 years and theres no way i can tell whether a person is English or French just by looking at them..

Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with both of you. When I moved to Montreal as a teenager, I was amazed at how stylish my peers in high school were in comparison to my peers in Southern Ontario, where I came from.

!
Yeah but how long ago were you in H.S? Things change.. Besides - you can't even generalize southern Ontario - dress is going to be different in Barrie than it would be in Dt Toronto...

Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah but how long ago were you in H.S? Things change.. Besides - you can't even generalize southern Ontario - dress is going to be different in Barrie than it would be in Dt Toronto...
You might not even be able to generalize downtown Toronto. Remembering my own high school days in Toronto, kids from Lawrence Park CI and North Toronto CI dressed a lot differently than did kids from Central Tech and Castle Frank.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 07-02-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada