Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How good is your French?
Je suis francophone / complètement bilingue 4 14.29%
Je peux me débrouiller en France / Québec / Acadie et tenir une conversation sur n'importe quoi sans un dictionnaire 2 7.14%
My French is a bit rusty but I can still understand most of what people say on French TV and on product labels 5 17.86%
I took a few years of French in high school / middle school 10 35.71%
I don't speak French or only know several words 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 13,933 times

Advertisements

Je me sens très à l'aise de parler français, mais je trouve le français écrit un peu plus facile, car j'ai le temps de réfléchir quand j'écris. Toutefois, puisque j'enseigne l'anglais je trouve que je n'ai pas beaucoup d'occasions à utiliser mon français écrit ici en Ontario. Quoi qu'il en soit, j'utilise mon français de façon quotidienne. En fait, je n'ai jamais parlé anglais à mes enfants, mais si ma femme n'est pas francophone. Pour moi, le Canada doit faire de la place pour la langue française. J'aimerais voir l'Ontario devenir membre de la Francophonie tout comme le Québec et le Nouveau-Brunswick. En Ontario, à moins de vivre à Hearst ou Hawkesbury, l'on doit faire un effort pour être francophone. On ne peut pas tenir notre langue pour acquise. Il faut la parler en public et exiger des services en français du gouvernement. Ici, on pavoise et on fête la Saint-Jean. Est-ce que mes petits-enfants vont parler français? Je l'espère bien et je pense qu'en transmettant mon amour pour la langue française à mes jeunes il y a de fortes probabilités d'assurer l'épanouissment de mon patrimoine linquistique et culturel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
I can read and write very well; my speaking and listening skills are low-intermediate. My children are growing up bilingual (my husband is francophone) and I only speak English at home (except to my in-laws). We live in a francophone town (99%).

Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
As an American, I'm often amazed at how awful Anglo-Canadians' French-language skills can be. I majored in French and have a master's in French lit, so I know the difference between "fluent" and "intermediate level." Too many Anglo-Canadians, even Ontarians, barely have an intermediate grasp of French. I don't think Americans do much worse in foreign-language acquisition than English-speaking Canadians do in French. I am even surprised by the (very) basic level of French among English-speakers in Montreal -- no better than that of the average U.S. student who took 2 years of high school French in Buffalo. Yet Canada is officially bilingual and French is (I'm told) a compulsory course in school, just as English is compulsory in Sweden or the Netherlands. Why such poor French in Toronto, Ottawa, or Winnipeg, in a nation with a pretty good public school system and compulsory French?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
It is only compulsory until age 13 in BC. Also, no practice, and our teachers were not fluent. Canada is a bilingual country but the in the western half of the country (think anything west of the Dakotas/Colorado/New Mexico), French is not used in daily life and the (very few) francophone communities are completely integrated, you wouldn't even know it.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Why such poor French in Toronto, Ottawa, or Winnipeg, in a nation with a pretty good public school system and compulsory French?
Probably because outside Quebec its just not a language any one speaks so while they may have taken a few hours a week in school in reality the French language just isnt relevant for every day living.
Canada being bilingual is more to do with services being available in French and English in government offices and correspondence than it has to do with all Canadians being bilingual.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
As an American, I'm often amazed at how awful Anglo-Canadians' French-language skills can be. I majored in French and have a master's in French lit, so I know the difference between "fluent" and "intermediate level." Too many Anglo-Canadians, even Ontarians, barely have an intermediate grasp of French. I don't think Americans do much worse in foreign-language acquisition than English-speaking Canadians do in French. I am even surprised by the (very) basic level of French among English-speakers in Montreal -- no better than that of the average U.S. student who took 2 years of high school French in Buffalo. Yet Canada is officially bilingual and French is (I'm told) a compulsory course in school, just as English is compulsory in Sweden or the Netherlands. Why such poor French in Toronto, Ottawa, or Winnipeg, in a nation with a pretty good public school system and compulsory French?
French isn't compulsary in schools. When I was in school(rural Manitoba) the second language taught was German. French is offered "where numbers warrant."

Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
French isn't compulsary in schools. When I was in school(rural Manitoba) the second language taught was German. French is offered "where numbers warrant."
Some of my wifes family is from Macklin Sask. i remember her Aunt mentioning her choices for second language in school was German or Latin, i presume this was back in the 40-50's before Canada decided to brand itself a bilingual country as a goodwill gesture to appease Quebec..

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some of my wifes family is from Macklin Sask. i remember her Aunt mentioning her choices for second language in school was German or Latin, i presume this was back in the 40-50's before Canada decided to brand itself a bilingual country as a goodwill gesture to appease Quebec..

I went to school in the 70s (junior high). I'd have to look it up but I always thought the German was a sop to the fact that the Canadian government reneged on its promise to Mennonites to be able to conduct their schooling in German. German is still offered here but French is also an option.

I switched my the ipad to my laptop to search better and apparently the whole language issue in schools was because of the French. In 1897, legislation was passed that declared that "where ten of the pupils speak the French language (or any language other than English) as their native language, the teaching of such pupils shall be conducted in French (or such other language) and English upon the bilingual system."

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactio...eproblem.shtml

http://timemachine.siamandas.com/PAG...s/EDUCATON.htm

http://www.caslt.org/pdf/heritagelang.pdf

Last edited by netwit; 07-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: added more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada