Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 PM

131 posts, read 480,472 times

Advertisements

I hate to pry, but what substance and how much. Feel free to privately message me. Why I'm asking is that it could matter in determining whether you are guilty of serious criminality under Canadian law. If we can keep the potential penalty(if the crime happened in Canada) it under ten years penalty, you might manage to qualify for "deemed rehabilitated" if you have no other convictions.

Look at this penalty chart:

https://www.defencelaw.com/penalties-drugs.html

Last edited by stufried; 06-25-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 PM

Correction also. I referred to a case earlier today as Chen v Minister. The correction name is Lui v. Canada
(Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) (1997), 39 Imm. L.R. (2d) 60 (F.C.T.D.). My apologies.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM

If it is converted as possession, you are "deemed rehabilitated;" if it is converted as trafficking you need to go through rehabilitation. You're going to want to put together a hybrid application that argues that you are admissible, but if you are not, then you are rehabilitated.

I reread Liu last night and a Louisiana Supreme Court decision called Liu (cited on the forum). I think you can argue that as well. Having said all that, an expungement will cure your problems. How long before you have to travel to Canada? How long does an attorney down there think it will take to expunge you. Canada will honor a US expungment.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,068 times
I have a possession with intent to distribute drug felony from 5 years ago. I served two years in prison. Since I've been home, I opened a restaurant in St. Louis, MO. I have a friend in BC Canada that is trying to get me to open a restaurant there. They've researched locations for me but I need to go look at these places. Do I need to hire a Canadian lawyer? Or can somebody from the US probation office write a reference letter for me to present to a border agent? I don't know how this works..

Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 PM

You don't officially need a lawyer, but I'd recommend one. Your charge is serious and not that much time has passed since your release. When did supervision end?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,068 times
3 years ago. I have a fantastic relationship with the cheif and deputy chief at the US probabtion office here in Missouri. They bring their families to my restaurant all the time. They've even filmed a documentary on me. Can they help with anything?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Everything can help. Your problem is that a border agent has a ton of discretion and you don't live near the border. If you lived twenty minutes from the border, going back multiple times wouldn't be a huge issue. You need it right the first time. I would pull everything together and then hire a lawyer to fly spec it.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 PM

128 posts, read 372,851 times
I wish I would have read this thread sooner as Im about 40 mins from Vancouver right now. I was convicted of possession of cannabis with te intent to sell in California. After completing my sentence, I was able to reduce it to a misdemeanor possession of concentrated cannabis charge (California system allowed me to do this). Furthermore, the charge was dismissed; a dismissal is an expungement in California. I'll share my experience soon enough.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:20 PM

Land crossing?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:53 PM

128 posts, read 372,851 times
I crossed via Amtrak train. I got in fine because of my expungement but not before a thorough search and questioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada