Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,937 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm an American citizen who recently traveled to Prince Edward Island for a vacation. I loved it and thought it was so, so beautiful. I would move there if I could, but since I'm a teacher and teaching jobs are few and far between on the island (especially for foreigners), I'm trying to find a place in the US that looks similar to PEI.

The weird thing is, from my (limited) experience traveling in the Northeastern US, I feel like the countryside looks a whole lot different. This doesn't really make sense, because Maine, for example, is so close to PEI. I'd assume they'd be the same geographically. Again, I really haven't traveled in the Northeast that much. Do you think I may be making up differences in my head perhaps?

Anyways, for those of you who have been to the US, do you have any suggestions of places that look similar to PEI? (I'll be cross posting this to US forums too.)

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,359,420 times
Tough one. PEI is pretty unique. I think you're right though, coastal Maine would probably be as close as you could get.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM

194 posts, read 421,077 times
I think Maine looks more like coastal Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. It does not look like PEI. To me the closest that it comes in atmosphere to PEI in New England is parts of Vermont. There is no sea but it is very similar, close knit communities, rural, quaint. No sea however and more expensive than PEI.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,754,749 times
I haven't been there but based on the Google Earth imagery I've seen, PEI looks like it's designed a bit more like Europe. The northeastern US still mostly has a modern style grid though the Amish country of Pennsylvania has a Europe type layout going on.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,480,830 times
PEI is geologically distinct from the mainland because it floated to NA from across the ocean millions of years ago. That's why the soil there is red, but it's black in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

The architectural styles for houses and the layout are also distinct because of the different human history as compared to the USA.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,754,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
PEI is geologically distinct from the mainland because it floated to NA from across the ocean millions of years ago. That's why the soil there is red, but it's black in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.
That's very interesting. It reminds me of how in J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarillion, the gods uprooted an island called Tol Eressea and ferried the Elves over it to Valinor, planting it in the bay once it crossed the ocean from Middle-earth to their realm.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,496,279 times
I'm not sure about the houses being different, but I think maybe Martha's Vineyard, Mass. would be very similar in many ways.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 19,781 times
Most of my family is from PEI. I go visit pretty much every year. In PEI, getting employed is all about who you know (and this moreso than most places). My aunt trained to be an English teacher, but had a really hard time finding a job. All she could get was a class full of "troubled children" in Summerside (an hour west of Charlottetown where she lived). I don't think she particularly liked the experience, as she did not stick with it.

Out of the New England states, I find Vermont to be the most similar. Maine is more of a wilderness feeling like New Brunswick. Vermont doesn't look identical to PEI, but I find the vibe similar. Burlington and Charlottetown also resemble each other a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada