Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times

Advertisements

Are Canadian "beer stores" private or provincially-owned?
Are wine and hard liquor sold in supermarkets or in separate stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
depends on the province.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Beer stores are an Ontario thing. Just like in the U.S. liquor laws vary from province to province.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that no province or territory in Canada has sales of hard liquor in supermarkets or corner stores. In Quebec they do have beer and wine sales at corner stores.
In my province of B.C. private liquor stores and wine shops co-exist with government LCBC shops.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Beer stores are an Ontario thing. Just like in the U.S. liquor laws vary from province to province.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that no province or territory in Canada has sales of hard liquor in supermarkets or corner stores. In Quebec they do have beer and wine sales at corner stores.
In my province of B.C. private liquor stores and wine shops co-exist with government LCBC shops.
Places like Costco and Superstore have liquor sections/buildings in Alberta.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Good to know on my next trip to Alberta !!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM

250 posts, read 642,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
But they are still separate shops...

Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 AM

577 posts, read 1,474,294 times
As far as the availability of alcohol in grocery stores and other non-monopolistic shops is concerned, Canada lacks big time.
Not to mention also that the alcohol is damn expensive in this country.

The province of Quebec is a bit smarter and with laxer rules in this respect. There you can find it in quite several non-State owned, oligopolistic stores.

I see the current situation as a hidden form of prohibition, sorry to say it but that's how I perceive it personally.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 AM

654 posts, read 1,495,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Although many provinces have gotten out of the business, alcohol is still ridiculously expensive. The taxes on alcohol vary by province but in general there are a WHOLE LOT OF TAXES. Add in the usual gouging by retailers and it's hard to believe Canadians drink at all.

In AZ a 1.75 liter of Smirnoff Vodka can be bought for under 20 bucks......up here you would be lucky to get it for under 50. Beer is also at least double in price.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quebec:

All corner stores, grocery stores and Costco (counts as a grocery) sell beer and wine

Government-owned SAQ* stores sell hard liquor, a wider selection of wines (including finer ones) and some specialty beer

Ontario:

Government-owned LCBO* stores sell hard liquor and a wide selection of wines, and some specialty beers

The Beer Store, a government-sanctioned monopoly of the three largest brewers, is the main beer seller. There are complaints that they favour their own beer brands and don't allow the smaller microbreweries sufficient space. No kidding...

Some supermarkets have a wine store inside them which sells Ontario wines only

In some communities too small for an LCBO or a Beer Store the local grocery has permission to sell a limited selection of alcohol.

*LCBO stands for Liquor CONTROL Board of Ontario. SAQ stands for Société des alcools du Québec (Québec Liquor Corporation). Gives you an idea of the mentality.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Alberta is deregulated.

Beer/liquor are sold in free-standing busineses but market forces drive the number and location. So Costco/Superstore/Safeway all have beer/liquor stores, but they're separate from the groceries. Usually a different box in the parking lot, or an adjoining bay in the strip mall.

Beer and wine are only available at these stores though. Not in every store like the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada