Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Are universites in France considered superior to those in Quebec? Do some French Canadian parents send their children to these universities?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are universites in France considered superior to those in Quebec? Do some French Canadian parents send their children to these universities?
Many French Canadians go to France as exchange students, but they usually don't go for the whole degree. France has a 2-tier university system (maybe even 3-tier), and universities outside the "Grandes Écoles" are definitely not perceived to be on the same level as Quebec's. Back when I was in college, many of my friends went to France for a semester and while they appreciated the opportunity to visit and travel in Europe, they all felt like their term was wasted academically.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
There is this organization that is jointly run by the governments of Quebec and France:

Office franco-québécois pour la jeunesse | OFQJ

I believe that it is under this type of arrangement that French students who come to Quebec pay the same tuition fees as Quebec students (among the lowest in North America). And Quebec students also are treated like French students (as opposed to foreign students) when it comes to fees over there.

This privilege (which is also extended to students from certain francophone developing countries I am pretty sure) does not apply to students from other Canadian provinces outside Quebec. Something which irks a lot of people because foreigners get the "in-province" rate whereas Canadian citizens have to pay the out of province rate if they are not from Quebec.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
France has some good schools but unfortunately for France, on average, Quebec universities are academically stronger. University of Montreal and Laval in particular are very good schools, as is McGill of course, which had a few French exchange students there when I attended, and many more French Canadians than I think people generally think there are. I read somewhere the student body is 10-15% French Canadian and all tests and essays can be in French.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

This privilege (which is also extended to students from certain francophone developing countries I am pretty sure) does not apply to students from other Canadian provinces outside Quebec. Something which irks a lot of people because foreigners get the "in-province" rate whereas Canadian citizens have to pay the out of province rate if they are not from Quebec.
well, they have the right to be irked because Quebec's low tuition is partly based on generous subsidies from other provinces in Canada, not France, right?

Nobody will have trouble with others being generous as long as the money comes from their own pockets.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
France has some good schools but unfortunately for France, on average, Quebec universities are academically stronger. University of Montreal and Laval in particular are very good schools, as is McGill of course, which had a few French exchange students there when I attended, and many more French Canadians than I think people generally think there are. I read somewhere the student body is 10-15% French Canadian and all tests and essays can be in French.
It is so wrong and biased to be so dismissive of France's education system ("France has some good schools, but.."). You went as far as claiming Quebec, a Canadian province's higher education is superior to France, a country with 8 times its population.

This top 200 ranking has 2 in Quebec, 7 in France. Among the two in Quebec, McGill is not even French, which means Quebec has 1 French University that makes world top 200.

Top 200 world universities – THE rankings - Telegraph

Shanghai Jiangtong University's top 500 has 20 French universities, and 5 Quebec ones (4 excluding McGill)

France Universities in Top 500 - 2012
Canada Universities in Top 500 - 2012

Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, they have the right to be irked because Quebec's low tuition is partly based on generous subsidies from other provinces in Canada, not France, right?

Nobody will have trouble with others being generous as long as the money comes from their own pockets.
It's good that you say partly based, because it's about 10% of the provincial budget can be based on equalization. If you add 10% to 2000 dollars of university tuition, that's still a lot cheaper than almost anywhere else. Add 10% to 7 dollar a day childcare, and you've still got a pretty good deal at 7.70 per day.

The more generous social programs in Quebec are mostly paid for by the higher taxes that we pay here. Among the highest in North America. Not by people in other provinces.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Also, I assume you are talking about equalization here. Equalization is a federal program, and is not funded by the provincial governments. The feds collect money all across the country (including Quebec), and then set a ratio based on fiscal capacity. If a province is under the ratio it gets money proportionate to how much it is under the national average. It has nothing to do with subsidizing Quebec specifically. Although Quebec has always been a recipient since the program started, as have several other provinces. All of the provinces have been recipients at one time or another. Even Alberta. Ontario was a non-recipient for a long time but is now a recipient.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's good that you say partly based, because it's about 10% of the provincial budget can be based on equalization. If you add 10% to 2000 dollars of university tuition, that's still a lot cheaper than almost anywhere else. Add 10% to 7 dollar a day childcare, and you've still got a pretty good deal at 7.70 per day.

The more generous social programs in Quebec are mostly paid for by the higher taxes that we pay here. Among the highest in North America. Not by people in other provinces.
Curiously, how high is Quebec's tax rate? For example, how does it compare with Ontario, California and New York State.

I often hear it is high but not sure how it stacks up.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
It is so wrong and biased to be so dismissive of France's education system ("France has some good schools, but.."). You went as far as claiming Quebec, a Canadian province's higher education is superior to France, a country with 8 times its population.

This top 200 ranking has 2 in Quebec, 7 in France. Among the two in Quebec, McGill is not even French, which means Quebec has 1 French University that makes world top 200.

Top 200 world universities – THE rankings - Telegraph

Shanghai Jiangtong University's top 500 has 20 French universities, and 5 Quebec ones (4 excluding McGill)

France Universities in Top 500 - 2012
Canada Universities in Top 500 - 2012
Of course with 8 times the population they're going to have more top schools, I never denied that. What I said is that the AVERAGE quality in Quebec is better than the AVERAGE quality in France. French higher education, unfortunately, is plagued by mediocrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada