Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 PM
 
32 posts, read 162,733 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I think the Anglos are also interested but much more sensitive about asking questions. They are just way too reserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This thread is calling out for generalization so here is one:

English Canadians are the type of people who will consider an Afghan who is immigrating to Canada as ''Canadian'' the minute he steps off the plane in Toronto for the first time. Whether he speaks English or not, and even if he knows ZERO about Canada. English Canada is very user-friendly and live and let live when it comes to its national identity. On the other hand English Canadians are not the most curious and interested people when it comes to learning about the cultures of immigrants. And the Afghan guy once he gets a job or starts to know his neighbours might notice that almost no one asks him questions about his homeland.

On the other hand, French Canadians would not consider the Afghan to be one of them (say, Québécois, since most French Canadians live in Quebec) until a high level of integration is reached. Quite a few immigrants to Quebec never reach this level of integration although many do - you don't need to speak unaccented French but you do need to speak it without hang ups even if it is imperfectly, and also use Quebec expressions and show an interest in French Canadian culture. This requirement for acceptance as part of the ''us'' will also apply to the Afghan guy's kids, even if they are born here. So the bar is set somewhat higher in French Canada - it is not impossible to attain but there are basic expectations. Living here, paying taxes and not breaking the law may allow you for a comfortable existence but unlike English Canada it does not automatically grant you status within the ''us''. If you don't meet the expectations people will be nice and civil but often assume you are just passing through.

But one thing that is interesting about French Canadians is that although the ''us'' is a tougher nut to crack, people are much more interested in learning about immigrant cultures and customs. They often pester people with questions about the old country, about its music, ask for interesting recipies, ask how such and such a word is said in their language, etc. At some point I suppose it can probably get a bit annoying but the interest is totally sincere.
YES YES that is what i'm talking about!

It is one thing to be polite, but it is another to be genuine in knowing others inside out; i'd take French Canada any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
 
1,264 posts, read 3,867,649 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystericblue View Post
YES YES that is what i'm talking about!

It is one thing to be polite, but it is another to be genuine in knowing others inside out; i'd take French Canada any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Canada
171 posts, read 274,328 times
Reputation: 70
As an outsider the whole English vs French thing can get annoying but generally the only people you hear being arrogant in Quebec and arrogant in Toronto are the close minded people. However, there are a lot of them.
If people weren't so scared of losing their culture or language then this underlying protectionism and arrogance that exists in Quebec would be long gone and be a happier place. Unfortunately, the media thrives on this so it's always highlighted in newspapers on the news, childish politicians, etc.

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 02-20-2013 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,635,939 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
As an outsider the whole English vs French thing can get annoying but generally the only people you hear being arrogant in Quebec and arrogant in Toronto are the close minded people. However, there are a lot of them.
If people weren't so scared of losing their culture or language then this underlying protectionism and arrogance that exists in Quebec would be long gone and be a happier place. Unfortunately, the media thrives on this so it's always highlighted in newspapers on the news, childish politicians, etc.
It's a big IF. People in Quebec have a right to worry about losing their culture. It's the degree of how far to go to protect it that causes news stories. Some does border on the bizarre. However some Quebeckers believe that the way to protect the culture and the reason the culture has survived is because of Quebec being in Canada. I'm not ignoring the history of Quebec in regards to language and how english was the language you needed for the good jobs etc. or the oppression of the church. However I believe that if Quebec was a separate country in the 19th Century, it probably would of been swallowed up by the U.S. Of course re-writing history is always a dangerous exercise.
Arrogance exists in every place I've visited to varying degrees. Arrogance is usually based on ignorance and it usually disappears once the person is " educated" a little. I don't find Quebeckers to be anymore arrogant than Australians, Americans, English Canadians. Being proud of your origins or home can sometimes come across as arrogant.
Would Quebec survive today if it became it's own country? A question that's been asked over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 4,790,336 times
Reputation: 1272
I'm kinda tired of this "People of Celtic and Germanic extraction are cold" stereotype. Reserved perhaps, we're not as likely to kiss people on the lips, but that doesn't mean we're lizard people for God's sake.

To answer your question - I don't really know, I haven't spent too much time with French Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,060 posts, read 12,853,079 times
Reputation: 7168
I guess a "Franglo" combines the best and worst of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
3,635 posts, read 3,440,690 times
Reputation: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's a big IF. People in Quebec have a right to worry about losing their culture. It's the degree of how far to go to protect it that causes news stories. Some does border on the bizarre.
Indeed. See here for an example of "bizarre":

‘Pasta’ found in violation of Quebec laws as language police crackdown on Italian restaurant in Montreal

In fairness, the OQLF backed down on that one, but seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM
 
2,869 posts, read 5,150,489 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Indeed. See here for an example of "bizarre":

‘Pasta’ found in violation of Quebec laws as language police crackdown on Italian restaurant in Montreal

In fairness, the OQLF backed down on that one, but seriously?
The problem is that this type of stuff is judgement-driven, and a lot of people just don't have it. I have to believe that the overwhelming majority of my fellow French Canadians would be appalled at the thought of an Italian, Vietnamese or Lebanese restaurant having to change its menu, as if the server couldn't describe the dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,635,939 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The problem is that this type of stuff is judgement-driven, and a lot of people just don't have it. I have to believe that the overwhelming majority of my fellow French Canadians would be appalled at the thought of an Italian, Vietnamese or Lebanese restaurant having to change its menu, as if the server couldn't describe the dish.
I agree. I wonder if the French language media picked up the story. The National Post leans right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,866 posts, read 10,553,325 times
Reputation: 5516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree. I wonder if the French language media picked up the story. The National Post leans right.
They most certainly did. Local Anglos are making too big of a deal out of it as they're in a state of extreme uneasiness and fear with the PQ in power again. It's mostly got people from both linguistic groups laughing at the overzealousness of the OQLF.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/re...es-de-zele.php



Last edited by BIMBAM; 02-22-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top