Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM

32 posts, read 162,494 times

Advertisements

This has probably been discussed several times but just how different is the culture and demographics in Quebec and Montreal from that of areas like BC and Ontario?

As i often heard, English Canadians are polite but very reserved whereas French Canadians are quite the opposite such that they can be more hospitable and warm compared to the former.

Is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystericblue View Post
This has probably been discussed several times but just how different is the culture and demographics in Quebec and Montreal from that of areas like BC and Ontario?

As i often heard, English Canadians are polite but very reserved whereas French Canadians are quite the opposite such that they can be more hospitable and warm compared to the former.

Is it true?
Having grown up in a French - Canadian family in B.C. I can say that to a certain degree this is true. However don't confuse reserve with not being warm. One grandmother was Anglo - Canadian, reserved, but very warm and sweet. Fond memories of her. My other grandmother was French - Canadian, more outgoing and gregarious, but stricter in her views on bringing up children. As a child I as was slightly afraid and in awe of her.
Two great Aunts that I loved, both Quebecois, were polar opposites. One full of life and joking, the typical stereotype of a French Canadian loving life, the other proper and quiet and almost shy.

However overall, French Canadians are more open about how they feel, at least in displaying it and some like my grandmother have a little " naughty " streak. I can remember my French - Canadian grandmother smiling with a twinkle in her eye and comment about something sort of risk, and laugh say in her Quebecois accent " it's fun isn't it ? "

Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Is it true that Quebecois would rather venture down to the USA East Coast compared to the rest of Canada? i know plenty of people from the province and when they go on a short road trip it seems like Boston is the number on choice over Toronto. These are mainly old friends from school or people i meet on vacation, they all seem to not know and/or care much about the rest of Canada.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is it true that Quebecois would rather venture down to the USA East Coast compared to the rest of Canada? i know plenty of people from the province and when they go on a short road trip it seems like Boston is the number on choice over Toronto. These are mainly old friends from school or people i meet on vacation, they all seem to not know and/or care much about the rest of Canada.
Yes, they've by and large got a sort of love affair with the US east coast, and love going there on vacations, stemming back from the days when almost every Quebecois would spend at least a few years working in New England when they were young before moving back to Quebec (or staying in New England forever) due to the lack of work in Canada at the time. They were essentially the "Mexicans" of the North East from 1850 to 1940, and some migrated during this period also to Northern Ontario and Alberta, but for the most part people went to the US, because the rest of Canada really wasn't much more prosperous and people liked being able to go there for the experience of seeing something different.

I'd say its true that French Canadians more and more dont know as much about the rest of the country, out of a certain sense of cultural insecurity. There's a sense that if they as a culture engage with and orient themselves too much towards the rest of Canada, that it will swallow them up culturally like was increasingly the case fifty years ago. The American East Coast is "safe", however, because there's no way that can happen with them. It's sort of like how Canadians worry about too much American influence and culture threatening Canadian identity and sovereignty, but Japanese culture? Eat your heart out manga fans, no one worries about Canada getting Japanified beyond recognition.

Personally, I get that it hasn't been that long since the bad old days and the culture still hasn't gotten over its feelings of collective insecurity and self doubt. My hope is that in a generation or two, people will feel assured enough of the permanency of French in Quebec and the vitality of their culture that they'll be able to look towards the rest of Canada and engage with the same fearlessness. A necessary part of this will also be a paradigm shift in the relationship between French Quebecers and local linguistic minorities, as a more healthy realtionship here will be the key to a healthy federation. Quebecers are worried about local cultural dynamics, about what's going on in their communities and about assimilation by Anglo Quebeckers. I honestly feel separatism wouldn't be an issue at all if Quebec were a 100% French province and that people would be happy to have a big country to engage in collective projects with, they just don't want to empower the local english community lest it overwhelm them. Nobody hates English Canadians just living their lives in Kelowna, it's the ones in Montreal that really cause concern. They also don't want too many people to leave for other provinces, anglicize, and never come back, but that can be mostly solved with a strong economy, which is easier within Canada than as a separate country, which would I'm sure have serious problems with emmigration the first twenty years at least, as the local economy would undoubtably be weaker than in local jurisdictions.

As an Anglo Quebecker myself, I know we're not going anywhere, and nor should we, its a 300 year old and distinct cultural community that built strong local institutions and has deep connections to the place, a community that contributes to Quebec's cultural mix and is a part of its heritage. Over time, I see eveyone who can't adequately adapt to a French Quebec leaving, and the rest becoming strongly bilingual and fully a part of Quebec society, as fully integrated minority in the cultural mix that people won't feel threatened by anymore. When internal linguistic politics are resolved, so will Quebec be able to look to Canada wthout fear. From my view, I think it will be my generation's children that will bring that lasting peace to the province, and it'll take a bit for the rest of Quebec to take notice of the change. I predict linguistic harmony and an end to angst in 35-40 years.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 02-15-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 12:42 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Great post BIMBAM, thank you.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It is mostly true. It's quite simple. From Quebec City, the drive to Boston is quite a bit shorter than the drive to Toronto (6 1/2 hours vs 8 hours). The drive to the ocean is even shorter, from either Montreal or Quebec City. (Maine is the most popular destination.)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
It is mostly true. It's quite simple. From Quebec City, the drive to Boston is quite a bit shorter than the drive to Toronto (6 1/2 hours vs 8 hours). The drive to the ocean is even shorter, from either Montreal or Quebec City. (Maine is the most popular destination.)
From most of Quebec, New York City and Toronto are roughly the same distance. Nothing against Toronto but which would you pick?

But people from Quebec do travel to places in Ontario like Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Wasaga Beach and Sandbanks.

They are also quite fond of New Brunswick, especially the Acadian Peninsula and the beaches around Shediac.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
This thread is calling out for generalization so here is one:

English Canadians are the type of people who will consider an Afghan who is immigrating to Canada as ''Canadian'' the minute he steps off the plane in Toronto for the first time. Whether he speaks English or not, and even if he knows ZERO about Canada. English Canada is very user-friendly and live and let live when it comes to its national identity. On the other hand English Canadians are not the most curious and interested people when it comes to learning about the cultures of immigrants. And the Afghan guy once he gets a job or starts to know his neighbours might notice that almost no one asks him questions about his homeland.

On the other hand, French Canadians would not consider the Afghan to be one of them (say, Québécois, since most French Canadians live in Quebec) until a high level of integration is reached. Quite a few immigrants to Quebec never reach this level of integration although many do - you don't need to speak unaccented French but you do need to speak it without hang ups even if it is imperfectly, and also use Quebec expressions and show an interest in French Canadian culture. This requirement for acceptance as part of the ''us'' will also apply to the Afghan guy's kids, even if they are born here. So the bar is set somewhat higher in French Canada - it is not impossible to attain but there are basic expectations. Living here, paying taxes and not breaking the law may allow you for a comfortable existence but unlike English Canada it does not automatically grant you status within the ''us''. If you don't meet the expectations people will be nice and civil but often assume you are just passing through.

But one thing that is interesting about French Canadians is that although the ''us'' is a tougher nut to crack, people are much more interested in learning about immigrant cultures and customs. They often pester people with questions about the old country, about its music, ask for interesting recipies, ask how such and such a word is said in their language, etc. At some point I suppose it can probably get a bit annoying but the interest is totally sincere.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
^ I've noticed the French people in general are actually quite interested in other cultures (contrary to common belief). I mean I see them travelling all over the place, to countries where few other nationalities venture.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,974 times
I think the Anglos are also interested but much more sensitive about asking questions. They are just way too reserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada