Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM

66 posts, read 203,463 times

Advertisements

I've heard it said that the US is Conservative and more Conservative than Canada.

In what ways? In social terms, economic, Government? At the moment - both countries have Fereral Governments considered Conservative.

I think of Liberal being that the individual can do whatever they want (outside of hurting people physically). In that sense, how is Canada anymore Liberal than the US? (Or the US any less Liberal than Canada?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,227,889 times
A Conservative Canadian government is still more liberal than a Democratic American government.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,396,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
A Conservative Canadian government is still more liberal than a Democratic American government.
So, a Steven Harper is basically a Nancy Pelosi (elitist)?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,217,609 times
The Liberal and Conservative labels in the US don't translate to Canadian politics well.

Canadian Conservatives, as in the Conservative Party, are generally more fiscally conservative, and hold more "right wing" values on crime and punishment, defense, business, etc. The Conservative party is still far more "Left wing" and liberal than the US democrats when it comes to social policy re. socialized medicine, welfare etc.

The Liberal Party would be further to the left than the conservatives. Although lately, the differences in their policies are not overly significant. Not unlike the US. It's just that everything in Canada is skewed further to the left.

Oh yeah, and religion doesn't really play that large/any role in Canadian politics as a whole.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,432,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The Liberal and Conservative labels in the US don't translate to Canadian politics well.

Canadian Conservatives, as in the Conservative Party, are generally more fiscally conservative, and hold more "right wing" values on crime and punishment, defense, business, etc. The Conservative party is still far more "Left wing" and liberal than the US democrats when it comes to social policy re. socialized medicine, welfare etc.

The Liberal Party would be further to the left than the conservatives. Although lately, the differences in their policies are not overly significant. Not unlike the US. It's just that everything in Canada is skewed further to the left.

Oh yeah, and religion doesn't really play that large/any role in Canadian politics as a whole.
Well said.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,396,723 times
Quote:

Tell me about the Conservative or other-party resistance to National Health Care when it came out.

Sadly the politics in the U.S. are skewed towards the right because of the resolve from Conservatives after losing the 1964 election. It culminated in 1980 when Ronald Regan was elected and I think it's going to die by now.

Mike: Houston is within sight of the bible belt but not in it. It's not as preachy or churchy here as you would see in the centre of the Bible Belt in Dallas-Fort Worth, Waco, or Nashville. But there are many of those types here who moved for economic reasons. But luckily Houston has a Pacifica owned & operated radio station (and the only one in the South).

Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Here's a lift from Wiki. Full article here Health care in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was not until 1946 that the first Canadian province introduced near universal health coverage. Saskatchewan had long suffered a shortage of doctors, leading to the creation of municipal doctor programs in the early twentieth century in which a town would subsidize a doctor to practice there. Soon after, groups of communities joined to open union hospitals under a similar model. There had thus been a long history of government involvement in Saskatchewan health care, and a significant section of it was already controlled and paid for by the government. In 1946, Tommy Douglas' Co-operative Commonwealth Federation government in Saskatchewan passed the Saskatchewan Hospitalization Act, which guaranteed free hospital care for much of the population. Douglas had hoped to provide universal health care, but the province did not have the money.
In 1950, created a program similar to Saskatchewan's. Alberta, however, created Medical Services (Alberta) Incorporated (MS(A)I) in 1948 to provide prepaid health services. This scheme eventually provided medical coverage to over 90% of the population.[5]
In 1957, the federal government passed the Hospital Insurance and Diagnostic Services Act to fund 50% of the cost of such programs for any provincial government that adopted them. The HIDS Act outlined five conditions, public administration, comprehensiveness, universality, portability, and accessibility. These remain the pillars of the Canada Health Act.
By 1961, all ten provinces had agreed to start HIDS Act programs. In Saskatchewan, the act meant that half of their current program would now be paid for by the federal government. Premier Woodrow Lloyd decided to use this freed money to extend the health coverage to also include physicians. Despite the sharp disagreement of the Saskatchewan College of Physicians and Surgeons, Lloyd introduced the law in 1962.

[edit] Medical Care Act

The Saskatchewan program proved a success and the federal government of Lester B. Pearson, pressured by the New Democratic Party (NDP) who held the balance of power, introduced the Medical Care Act in 1966 that extended the HIDS Act cost-sharing to allow each province to establish a universal health care plan. It also set up the Medicare system. In 1984, the Canada Health Act was passed, which prohibited user fees and extra billing by doctors. In 1999, the prime minister and most premiers reaffirmed in the Social Union Framework Agreement that they are committed to health care that has "comprehensiveness, universality, portability, public administration and accessibility."[6]

Old 10-25-2007, 02:45 PM

The point was brought up about medicare. Agreed that's a point for US being Conservative.

But for welfare - I haven't heard anything substantial. There are poor in both countries and taxes are lower for the poor than for the rich. I guess: there is a little more social programs for the poor in Canada yet they are also taxed higher in Canada.

Anything else? Both countries have common-law marriages? Both countries have gay rights with both countries having some opposition to gay rights.

I agree that Religion doesn't appear to play a big role in Canadian politics. The first time I heard the American media coin the term 'the White Religious vote' than sounded very strange to me. We usually associate Religion to conservativism, yet I don't know that Canada is actually less religious than the US. Such as % going to church or % having religious faith.

So far I am seeing little difference except on Universal Health care.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Gun control would be a substantive difference, or at least the general attitude about it.

At the end of the day, there aren't substantive differences. I think the biggest differences really are due to a multi-party system, along with a parliamentary system.

There are more opportunities to express dissent with the status quo than in the US. You have several crooks to choose from instead of just two.

Also we don't elect the Prime Minister. He/She just happens to be the leader of the party that won the most seats in the election.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Gun control would be a substantive difference, or at least the general attitude about it.
I didn't think about that one.

Is ease with which to purchase guns Liberal or Conservative? A freedom to do something is usually Liberal - a control on something is usually Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada