Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 PM

557 posts, read 672,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
O.K.
I thought you were refraining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You might actually try checking Canadian news sources.

True, there is often (but not always) a US story in the local news. But it's mainly local news--a lot of coverage of local events (for example, a national dignitary spoke to a class at the local university, police are looking for the driver who committed a hit-and-run on Seventh Avenue, etc.). Very little on topics beyond our locality. More broadly, national news media cover items of national interest (Quebec language laws, Ontario's Liberal leadership convention, changes to the national employment insurance plan, etc.).

The latter bring us international news, but American news items are mixed in with the rest. North Korea's recent nuclear test, the American budget problems, the South African gunman who competed at the Olympics--they're all mixed in together. Sure, the US election got coverage, but the US is right next door, and the US president and Congress decide policy on (for example) cross-border trade with Canada, in which we obviously have a vested interest. So naturally, that gets coverage. But we're not covering California's budget problems, or Kansas's agricultural sales, or Tennessee's tourism industry.

At any rate, our media does not present a lot of American news, unless it is indeed newsworthy. Your arguments about healthcare are newsworthy, because we (and the rest of the civilized world) simply cannot comprehend why the US makes its citizens personally pay for healthcare. Your reluctance to amend your constitution to prevent massacres such as Newtown, Columbine, and Virginia Tech is newsworthy, because it just goes against common sense. You invaded a country (Iraq) without provocation, against the wishes of the UN, and you wondered why the world gasped, and why the Iraqis did not welcome you as liberators.

If the US does dominate global coverage, which I doubt, then I would suggest it is for the wrong reasons. We're not admiring you--we're laughing at you.
You can't deny that the US get's more international coverage than any other country, and I understand, as the only superpower, why that's the case. All I'm saying is that it needs to be acknowledged when there's a discussion on feelings and perceptions of America and Americans.

You talk about US healthcare, but Canada is ranked 30th which isn't very far from the US 38th. France is 1st and I'm pretty sure if there was equal coverage, the "civilized world" wouldn't be able to comprehend Canada's healthcare system either. But there's not as much coverage of Canadian healthcare around the world, so you Canadians think your healthcare is nearly perfect even though the difference between 1st and 30th is greater than 30th and 38th.

World Health Organization ranking of health systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you describe US faults in an unbalanced way even though European countries have committed more crimes against humanity in history. The US is a more kind superpower that has done more good for the world than bad creating the most peaceful time in human history.

Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com

Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Oh boy; now you've done it! Here he comes, beating on that tiny base drum with his little pink bunny feet just a'stomping.
Just so you know in the future, cheerleading isn't an argument. You don't have to rush, take your time and find a point or something.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
I'm done with thinking in terms of providing you with cognizant responses. You totally ignore their content and respond with the same repetitive inanity regardless, so I'm in for the entertainment value.

If that displeases you ~ ~ gee; put me on ignore.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I'm done with thinking in terms of providing you with cognizant responses. You totally ignore their content and respond with the same repetitive inanity regardless, so I'm in for the entertainment value.

If that displeases you ~ ~ gee; put me on ignore.
You're using the same old tired playbook: more excuses and distractions to cover up for the fact that you have no point, argument or sources. While my argument has been straightforward and consistent from the start with sources to back it up.

And why would I ignore you? It's so easy debating when the other side has no argument or any worthwhile point to make.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
You can't deny that the US get's more international coverage than any other country, and I understand, as the only superpower, why that's the case. All I'm saying is that it needs to be acknowledged when there's a discussion on feelings and perceptions of America and Americans.
I'll acknowledge that if you acknowledge that El Salvador has 1/8 the crime rate that the United States has, and that it's horrifically violent reputation is largely a myth, stemming from disproportionate coverage of it's relatively few crimes (Because as we've discussed, that's what your stats claim).

I'd also like some type of statistical corroboration of your claims - something that would suggest that Canadian media sources, for example, are more likely to cover American violence than Canadian.

Quote:
YWhile my argument has been straightforward and consistent from the start with sources to back it up.
Quote:
Again, you said violent crime definitions vary, so I moved on to total crime.
How consistent of you.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
You're using the same old tired playbook: more excuses and distractions to cover up for the fact that you have no point, argument or sources. While my argument has been straightforward and consistent from the start with sources to back it up.

And why would I ignore you? It's so easy debating when the other side has no argument or any worthwhile point to make.
At least a couple of other posters have provided you with links that you totally ignored and came back with the same nonsense repetitively.

Simply repeating the inaccurate does not a debate make. Your consistent argument was proven wrong numerous times but yet you insist on repeat, rinse, repeat.

Suggest you look up "debate" and actually try it for the first time in your history on these boards.

The "point" as you like to call your premise has been proven wrong now at least as many times as you keep repeating it.

Come on back now with "you're using the same old tired playbook .......etc.," in that well know method of yours of accusing others of your affliction.

Now; what was the topic again?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
??? I never left. And what have I said that's obfuscating? My point is simple to understand: Because the US is at the center of global attention, there's more coverage of US crime, which results in an over exaggerated view of America.
That's a ridiculous claim. There's virtually no coverage of US crime, unless it's yet another school shooting, or something equally big. Why on earth would our news cover American crime stories? Have you ever even seen a Canadian news broadcast? Right now our coverage consists of the Popeful Hopefuls, the Magnotta trial, the Language Taliban and giant potholes. We really don't give a hoot about your local crime stories.
My impressions of crime in the USA have to do with actually travelling there, and then living there.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I'll acknowledge that if you acknowledge that El Salvador has 1/8 the crime rate that the United States has, and that it's horrifically violent reputation is largely a myth, stemming from disproportionate coverage of it's relatively few crimes (Because as we've discussed, that's what your stats claim).
In 2012, El Salvador had the second-highest murder rate in the world, with a staggering 69.2 murders per 100,000 people. by comparison, the United States, by comparison, sits at 4.2 per 100,000.

Source: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Salvador has over 16 times the murder rate of the United States, beating out every country in the world besids Honduras (at 91.6 per 100,000). That hardly seems like the stuff of "myth" to me, and kind of negates your claim it suffers from 1/8 the violent crime that takes place in America.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
In 2012, El Salvador had the second-highest murder rate in the world, with a staggering 69.2 murders per 100,000 people. by comparison, the United States, by comparison, sits at 4.2 per 100,000.

Source: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Salvador has over 16 times the murder rate of the United States, beating out every country in the world besids Honduras (at 91.6 per 100,000). That hardly seems like the stuff of "myth" to me, and kind of negates your claim it suffers from 1/8 the violent crime that takes place in America.
Please read all pertinent posts prior to jumping in.

Drknoble has been referencing a source that claims less crime per capita in the US than in Canada. It also lists Colombia and El Salvador as having less crime per capita than the US. So, either his source makes no sense (which as you've picked up, is most certainly the case) or El Salvador is actually safer than the US. So far, he's refused to choose one.

To elaborate further - from page 9 of this thread:

Quote:
That map uses the same data as Nation masters, but in a more misleading way because it doesn't factor in population. Once you do, it becomes apparent that the US has a lower crime rate than Canada:

US total crime 11,877,218 divided by 313,914,040 US pop. = 3.7%

Canada total crime 2,516,918 divided by 34,482,779 Can. pop. = 7.2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

Here are a few other countries from that Nationmaster list, using the same methodology as used above:

El Salvador - 44,762 total crimes / 6,183,000 population = 0.7%

Colombia - 214,192 total crimes / 46,943,000 population = 0.4%

* Please note: The homicide rate in El Salvador is 69.2/100,000 - second highest in the world, or 14 times greater than that of the US. Colombia's is 31.0 (sourced from UN office on Drugs and Crime) - though a more accurate comparison would be the 70/100,000 reported in 2002, the same year as the data from the Nationmaster list.

Despite the grim reputations of these two countries and the correspondingly high homicide rates, drknoble's meticulous analysis proves that both El Salvador and Colombia are far, far safer than the United States.

Perhaps the media's incessant focus on El Salvadorian crime is to blame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada