Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Please read all pertinent posts prior to jumping in.

Drknoble has been referencing a source that claims less crime per capita in the US than in Canada. It also lists Colombia and El Salvador as having less crime per capita than the US. So, either his source makes no sense (which as you've picked up, is most certainly the case) or El Salvador is actually safer than the US. So far, he's refused to choose one.

To elaborate further - from page 9 of this thread:
My apologies. I completely misunderstood the points being made here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
My apologies. I completely misunderstood the points being made here.
No worries - I can see where the confusion came from as I was referencing something a few pages old.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM

557 posts, read 672,903 times
Quote:
I'll acknowledge that if you acknowledge that El Salvador has 1/8 the crime rate that the United States has, and that it's horrifically violent reputation is largely a myth, stemming from disproportionate coverage of it's relatively few crimes (Because as we've discussed, that's what your stats claim).
Since you're so caught up on El Salvador, why don't you provide some data on the country's total crime and victims of crime so we can all take a look and comment.

Quote:
I'd also like some type of statistical corroboration of your claims - something that would suggest that Canadian media sources, for example, are more likely to cover American violence than Canadian.
That's not my claim nor does my claim suggest that. It seems you're confused, maybe you should go back and re-read this thread.

Quote:
How consistent of you.
Obviously I'm referring to my overall message, which has been consistent from the start. Crime is 1 point that supports my main argument.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
At least a couple of other posters have provided you with links that you totally ignored and came back with the same nonsense repetitively.

Simply repeating the inaccurate does not a debate make. Your consistent argument was proven wrong numerous times but yet you insist on repeat, rinse, repeat.

Suggest you look up "debate" and actually try it for the first time in your history on these boards.

The "point" as you like to call your premise has been proven wrong now at least as many times as you keep repeating it.
This coming from the guy who thinks cheerleading equals debating.

Your answer to not having sources or a point is to vaguely refer to someone else's sources and argument. Why don't you want to do your own dirty work? My sources show that Canada has a higher percentage of total crime and victims of crime, which supports my argument that the exaggerated perception of crime in the US is due to it receiving more international coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Come on back now with "you're using the same old tired playbook .......etc.," in that well know method of yours of accusing others of your affliction.

Now; what was the topic again?
And, If you continue to not provide an argument or source, then I will continue to point that out. I mean apparently you don't even know what the topic is.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's a ridiculous claim. There's virtually no coverage of US crime, unless it's yet another school shooting, or something equally big. Why on earth would our news cover American crime stories? Have you ever even seen a Canadian news broadcast? Right now our coverage consists of the Popeful Hopefuls, the Magnotta trial, the Language Taliban and giant potholes. We really don't give a hoot about your local crime stories.
My impressions of crime in the USA have to do with actually travelling there, and then living there.
That's not my claim.

Once again, my claim is that there is more global coverage of the US leading to an exaggerated view of the America by the international community. Meaning, compared with other foreign countries, Canadian media covers the US more via news, tv, movies, etc.

This is why Canada and other countries did more coverage of the US Presidential election than any other election outside of their own country:

US electoral college explanation - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNeZ2dTH6GE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efUMzs1p79I

Barack Obama wins US election : the most popular tweet - YouTube

Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
We covered the US presidential campaign, yes, and give more attention to the US on certain things like entertainment industry, but that doesn't mean we're hyper aware of every local crime that happens in the US, we only hear about the really prominent mass killings, and we also hear about those when they happen in Mexico or Finland. We pay more attention to the US selectively, not in every single field and your local crime reporting certainly fits into that category of stuff we don't pay attention to. Doesn't mean we're unaware of generally how safe or dangerous a city is, sam way you don't have to watch Brazilian news to know about Sao Paolo's reputation as a less than safe city.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post

That's not my claim nor does my claim suggest that. It seems you're confused, maybe you should go back and re-read this thread...

Once again, my claim is that there is more global coverage of the US leading to an exaggerated view of the America by the international community. Meaning, compared with other foreign countries, Canadian media covers the US more via news, tv, movies, etc.

Are you certain you know what you're claiming?

Quote:
Since you're so caught up on El Salvador, why don't you provide some data on the country's total crime and victims of crime so we can all take a look and comment.
You must be confused. Perhaps you should go back and re-read this thread.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
And, If you continue to not provide an argument or source, then I will continue to point that out. I mean apparently you don't even know what the topic is.
And, if we do provide sources, you'll spend pages pretending they don't exist.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
So looks like we already answered the question and this is basically just a thread for childish bickering.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
This coming from the guy who thinks cheer leading equals debating.

Your answer to not having sources or a point is to vaguely refer to someone else's sources and argument. Why don't you want to do your own dirty work? My sources show that Canada has a higher percentage of total crime and victims of crime, which supports my argument that the exaggerated perception of crime in the US is due to it receiving more international coverage.

All this from the guy who thinks debating is repetitively parroting his one Nationmaster source that has been proven inaccurate any number of times by both arguments with facts, and links to other sites he chooses to ignore and entrenches his position by whining the worlds press is biased and unfair towards the U.S. singularly

Your knowledge of the debate process as garnered by the sand box follies of kindergarten may have stood you in good stead up until now with your usual hang-out friends from McD's but c'mon here drknobelle your premise that the U.S. is given unfair and biased news coverage by the worlds media PLUS YOUR OWN is just more obfuscation and refusal to accept reality by ignoring the facts you don't like.

I know what to expect by way of a response from you now and you must be the thickest skinned individual I've ever met if you haven't got the faintest glimmer of understanding how your responses to date have made you appear on these boards.

You'll have to forgive my confusion about the original topic as you've taken us off topic some time ago, but, lest you've forgotten, the post was a question framed thusly: "Do Canadians feel safe when they visit the U.S." Another fact you'll choose to ignore I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada